My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taking the plunge!

cmoreno85tx

How does the York Rite work? I would like to join soon after I go through the Scottish Rite. Do you recieve all of the degrees in one day like the SR? Or are there times to be spent in between the degrees like in the Blue Lodge?

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
The Degrees & Orders of York Rite can be conferred in a couple different ways. You can attend a festival which is formatted over a one day or two day event with numerous candidates at the same time, similar to the AASR. YR can also be conferred on a one on one basis similar to when most of us took our BL degrees.

Usually you will take the Degrees associated with Chapter & Council (Cryptic) on one day, usually about 8 hours and then the Commandry Orders on another 6-8 hour day.

Just as in the AASR, there is no "required" memory work as in the BL degrees. However if one chooses to join the Line-up of either Chapter, Council, or Commandry you will have to do some studying...

Smokey613

A good place to start would be the Grand York Rite Bodies of Texas homepage.

If you know any York Rite Masons in your lodge ask them for more information as well. They will be glad to help.

It looks like there will be a Festival in Houston on February 21, 2009. You can get all the degrees/orders in one day. In Lufkin we normally try to put on a degree or order a month on our candidates so they actually participate in the degrees. It takes longer and we are constantly juggling scheduling but makes a lasting impression on the candidate. Even so, we encourage them to attend a Festival after their completion so they can observe what they had been through.

Last edited:

nick1368

Whiel you can attend a Yorkrite Festivel, I would strongly encourage you go through the degrees at your local Chapter Council Commandery. I did the the one day reunion with SR and truly left there thinking I am glad that is over. I attended a few stated meetings but that was a "chore" because the valley is at least an 1.5 drive not including the ferry wait time. I choose to demit last year from SR until I have more time. I have been in the YR for 2 years and currently have the privilage to serve at MEHP for our Chapter.
By going through the degrees as the "canidate" you have a better understanding of the work and have time reflect on what you just went through. Just my .2

Joey

Co-Founder
Staff Member
I'm so very glad that you've decided to join the York Rite Bro. Blake. We look forward to having you! :D