My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite used in the U.S. in the Symbolic Degrees

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Did anything about this come up at Grand Lodge?

Almost. When the GM gave his report & asked that it be approved, Bro. Harold Collum got up & asked why there was nothing in the report about it. If he had asked that the report be rejected as incomplete, they'd have had to speak to it. As he didn't call for an action, they just ruled his comments irrelevant & shut him off. :sad:

Ashton Lawson

Premium Member
I don't know enough about the present GM (Gene Carnes) to have any idea what his feelings on this are, but I can't help but think the PGM wouldn't have leaned this way given his past and present involvement with the Scottish Rite. His Bio speaks for itself found here: http://www.grandlodgeoftexas.org/node/1935

He received the fourth through the thirty-second degrees of Scottish Rite of Freemasonry in Dallas in 1981; the Investiture of Knight Commander of the Court of Honour in 1993 and in 1999 was nominated and elected by the Supreme Council of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry, Southern Jurisdiction to receive the Thirty-Third Degree to assume the title of Inspector General Honorary. Orville served as General Secretary of the Dallas Scottish Rite Bodies in Dallas from 2001 through 2004 where he is an Endowed Member, and in addition holds Endowed Memberships in the Fort Worth and Waco Scottish Rite Bodies. He serves as a Trustee of the Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children in Dallas, and is also a member of Hella Shrine, and Alla Grotto.

While his Scottish Rite history is far outweighed by his York Rite history, it seems a far-fetched rumor to think he'd wish any ill will to an organization he is still an influential member of in Texas. His recent edict regarding exemplification of the work does give one pause for thought, but that seems more of an administrative warning regarding territory than a sign of a schism between organizations.

jwhoff

Premium Member
d anything about this come up at Grand Lodge?

There was a disturbance of sorts when the Grand Master's report of his activities came up. It was short, and to the point. The claim was that the report was not totally complete, that something had been left out. I too wondered if this was in reference.

tom268

It is, however, fascinating to know that some lodges still work the A.A.S.R. in its initial ritualized fashion (Rather than the theatrical one).
This is standard for most AASR bodies outside of the USA. The theatrical fashion is a very US thing. So, maybe, with the next trip to good old Europe, you take your cap with you. :)

dbindel

I'm visiting an English Constitution Chapter Rose-Croix tonight in Hong Kong. Not quite the same as an AASR symbolic lodge, but the English, too, did not follow the Americans in making the Rite more of a theatre-style performance.

They accept Christians only, and they perfect one candidate during any given conferral, the only degree worked being the 18th (those preceding are conferred in name and under an umbrella obligation only). The Chapter Rose-Croix as they hold it is a very mystical experience.

The next degree conferred is the 30th, but it is restricted to those who have served their Chapter as Most Wise Sovereign, and the degrees beyond that are high honors that few receive.

You can imagine their shock when I first visited two years ago (at the age of 21) and was introduced as a 32nd degree Scottish Rite Mason.

They also use the full traditional regalia of the Rite whenever they meet (similar to what can be seen in the SR Ritual Monitor)... not a bellboy cap! :p

Last edited:

tom268

Seem to mirror my surprise, when I first chatted with a 32nd, who had no idea about masonry and admitted at last, that he was a brother for 2 weeks. At that time I was a humble 6th degree Swedish Rite with 5 years membership.

Last edited by a moderator:

Benton

Premium Member
Seem to mirror my surprise, when I first chatted with a 32nd, who had no idea about masonry and admitted at last, that he was a brother for 2 weeks. At that time I was a humble 6th degree Swedish Rite with 5 years membership.

How could he have only been a brother for two weeks? Did he go through some sort of one day blue lodge course, then immediately go into the SR?

tom268

Yes, something like that. I was very surprised that he couldn't even understand what I mean with the term "blue lodge". I don't know any more, from which state he was, but aparrently, they do one-day-classes in a kind of masonic college without ever seeing a blue lodge temple of know any brother.
But it was a forum for regular brother masons only, so that must be the way in some maintream US grand lodges.

Benton

Premium Member
There have been some US Grand Lodges that have done one day classes.

Stories like yours are why I think they're a terrible idea.

tom268

I must confess, that experiences like this heavily influenced my picture of US masonry. It took several years to realize, that it is indeed different to what I know, but that there are still some extremes with what the US brothers are not happy, too.

Benton

Premium Member
I think the one day degree programs are extremes even within the US. Not many Grand Lodges in the US have held them, and they seem to be a dying fad because of stories like yours. While I'm sure you get some amazing brothers in the one day degrees, I think you're far more likely to get some less than amazing brothers as well. And it only takes a few to cast a bad light on the rest of us.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
I don't think the one day classes will be catching on any time soon. We overwelmingly voted down the shortening of the work in this past Grand Lodge...!

jwhoff

Premium Member
Indeed! Far too many go the long route and have trouble digesting their instruction. The possibility that a man can obtain three Blue Lodge and 29 Scottish Rite degrees in a couple of weekends is horrendous. Initiation implies some form of transformation. Couldn't see how anything but the craft can be transformed with this going on. Not the best of ideas. Should we not guard against those comments about numbers? Can you have quantity and quality in so short a time? Impossible?

Benton

Premium Member
I really think the one day initiations turn Blue Lodge Masonry into McBlue Lodge Masonry, and I hope they go away for good. Contrary to what some people and brothers may think, I don't believe my generation wants something so devoid of meaning that in can be digested in one day. Freemasonry can't be digested in that time, and we're doing it a disservice if we think otherwise. It's one thing for the appendant bodies to have degree festivals, as they have Masons who have gone through the three degrees regularly and served a proper time as such. They know the caliber of men they're getting.

Blue Lodge, however, needs to be wary. The youth of today doesn't want cheap, easy Freemasonry, they want it to mean something and have impact in their life. And while a good portion from that comes from each of us internally applying that meaning ourselves, another good portion of that meaning comes from us treating the fraternity with respect. If you truly believe its a philosophy to live your life by, treat it with some reverence. Then others will want to know what secret you have that has changed your life so much.

tom268

I belong to the Swedish Rite. We have 10 degrees, including the 3 blue degrees in our own, special form. We need 12-15 years, in Scandinavia even up to 20 years, to get to the 10th degree.

Benton

Premium Member
Wow, that's pretty amazing. I've heard of the Swedish Rite, but I admit I know nothing about it. One to two decades is a pretty big commitment!

tom268

As you sign a paper in the 8th degree, that your connection to the order can never be broken or loosened, that is not the deal. You have a lifetime to learn, and being in a degree for 2 or 3 years before advancing, you can get the tone of that degree very good.

Mindovermatter Ace

I don't know where to begin as there is a lot of erroneous information in this thread and it's quite old.
There are ten lodges under the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of Louisiana which comprises its 16th District. These lodges are the Scottish symbolic lodges. Cervantes #5 is the oldest continuously ran Scottish Symbolic lodge in the world and all of the Orients in South America trace lineage to it.

There are currently 3 Grand Lodges in America, that hold Scottish symbolic lodges under its obedience. The Grand Lodges of NY, CA, and Louisiana.

In 1833, The GLoLA founded what it called the "Chamber of Rites" to house the 3 different Rites and the chamber issued new charters under the GL jurisdiction. Prior to that, there was much confusion among masons when visiting lodges. In 1812 the GLoLA was founded by French Masons who worked the French or Modern Rite and the Scotch Rite as well as the English York Rite.

Mississippi accusing the GL of being irregular for accommodating all of the Rites, invaded Louisiana and chartered several lodges that formed an English Grand Lodge of Ancient York Masons for the state of Louisiana. They ratified their issues in 1850 forming the GLoLA that we have today. The English eventually took over Freemasonry in Louisiana, however the 1833 agreements are still valid, which is why The Grand Lodge of Louisiana currently still has these ten SR lodges. The Scottish Rite literally came into America, on the ports of New Orleans.