The legend of hiram abiff

Discussion in 'Masonic Education' started by jonesvilletexas, Dec 29, 2008.

1. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

My lodge's Scottish ritual says: "but the remaining three being of a more atrocious and determined character than the others, persisted in their iniquitous design"

It has always interested to me that a building site with 3 GMs could initiate and pass atrocious brethren.

2. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

It has not always amused me that there exist people who steadfastly talk about blatantly patent allegory as if it were historical events, that is not until I saw how humorous this type of talk actually is when coupled with who I have met who associate with the fraternity.

3. Winter

Winter Premium Member

The same type of people who use religious texts as their history books.
    [​IMG]

Brother JC and coachn like this.
  4. coachn

Exactly!

5. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

One, specific version of their religious texts, at that!

coachn likes this.
  6. coachn

No_thats-not-true-thats-impossibl-J5n6.jpg

Attached Files:

Brother JC likes this.
  7. Bro CN

Bro CN Registered User

I agree with this particular interpretation of the legend even though I believe the W.Bro didn't do much justice in the way he interpreted it.

The individual Divine Spark, having separated from the GAOTU and making its descent to the mundane world, collected about it a mental sheath and soul which it used to create the physical body. So in essence the mind, soul and physical body are represented by the 3 ruffians in the legend and our actions, feelings and passions and thoughts that are contrary to the dictates of the divine within us are represented by the criminal act of murder.

However, the W.Bro seemed to have overlooked the final part of the legend that discusses the resurrection of Hiram Abiff and the manner with which one ought to achieve this. I will quote Manly P. Hall's The Lost Keys of Freemasonry for this final part.

It seems that the GAOTU provided mankind with a key for resurrecting one's Grand Master and that it is the duty of every active and sincere Mason to diligently seek it.

8. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Yep....sad but true!

9. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

There is much that is symbolic in Masonry, and I am always pleased by the ingenuity of interpretations, but was nothing historical?

In this regard I note that "The chronology of the entire history of almost all the classical civilizations was developed by a man named Joseph Justus Scaliger"

https://ajendu.blogspot.com/2014/11/scaligerian-chronology.html

It may therefore be that attempting to find historical precedents for Masonic legends is doomed to failure, not because the instinct is wrong but rather because Scaliger was not very good at generating the chronology now used for European history.

Share My Freemasonry