The Philosophy of "Making Good Men Better"

Discussion in 'Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality' started by pointwithinacircle2, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Excellent. Totally agree.

Bill Lins likes this.
  2. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

Of Course Not! However, if it never occurred to you to become a better man, Freemasonic Obligations are a great way to stir those thoughts. They are not the only way though; I am living proof. I was well on the path before I joined and had taken upon myself bettering myself long before I joined.
    1. If you couldn't before, what stopped or prevented you?
    2. If you wouldn't before, why did you choose or decide not to?
    Kudos!

Bloke and Warrior1256 like this.
  3. Warrior1256

This reminds me that I once read somewhere about the principal of only accepting men of good character to begin with. It was something like "Our mission is to make good men better, not bad men good".

Bill Lins and jermy Bell like this.
  4. coachn

Yep.

However, although it might not be our mission, the Work path does get rid of bad, when committed to and done thoroughly.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  5. Warrior1256

I'm a relatively new MM but I can already see where this is true. The things that we stand for and strive to keep true would not be conducive to retain those "bad".

6. coachn

Yes, and that "bad" includes what is found within each of us.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  7. jermy Bell

jermy Bell Registered User

Isn't it to help and set an example to man kind on what a a better man can be and charity towards others.

Bloke likes this.
  8. coachn

Isn't "What" to help and set an example to man kind on what a better man can be and charity towards others?

9. pointwithinacircle2

pointwithinacircle2 Rapscallion Premium Member

I'm going to jump in here and say "not for me". If I build myself a great house it is because I want to live in a great house and I am willing to do the work to accomplish that goal. Someone may see my house and think "there is an example of a great house", they may even ask me to teach them the skills to build such a house, but that is not my purpose - that is a bonus.

10. jermy Bell

jermy Bell Registered User

I hear and see a lot of that answer. Then what was the point of becoming a mason? Unless it was to become a shriner. I ask this question to many new EA's. And I get some saying, well, it's a cool organization to belong to. What's cool about it if you do nothing?

11. coachn

But we do do something... we make members, we call them "masons; brothers, etc..." and then we make effort to have them participate in making the next batch.

Bloke likes this.
  12. JJones

JJones Moderator Staff Member

It's 'cool' in that you are learning how to make yourself a better person. Through self-improvement you improve (obviously), which improves your quality of life over time and eventually ensures you have the resources to help, aid, and assist other people. Mason and neighbor alike.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  13. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

Masonry does little to direct the process.

I was at a lodge the other day and an elderly and much respected member referred to a deceased brother as "a nasty piece of work". I wondered at the time why the lodge permitted the deceased brother to belong for 20 years.

And I recalled an additional charge when the EA was invested with his apron - about not entering a lodge where there is brother with whom you are at variance.

I suspect that the lack of management of the process of becoming a better person is one key to the decline in Masonry. There are more effective self-improvement processes freely available in all cities.

There must be more to Masonry if the current system is to survive

14. Warrior1256

Exactly!

15. JJones

JJones Moderator Staff Member

It's all there in the teachings, ritual, and symbolism, but I agree, there is little being done to direct the process in many lodges. There's this notion which is often unspoken but heavily implied, and that is that we make men better by rushing them through a memorization process, putting them in a position, and holding fundraisers. Furthermore, by doing this, we are somehow making men better.

Lodges need education and mentorship programs if they want to take charge of the process.

tldubb, hanzosbm, Bloke and 1 other person like this.
  16. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

Theres the saying "Do unto others as you would do unto your self" and also "love you neighbor like you love yourself" well i heard it put a different way last night
    "what you do to others u do to your self"
    "as you love you love your neighbor you love yourself"
    Meaning everything you do to someone else you are also doing to yourself.......

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app

17. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

It's interesting. I was sent a pathway plan for new freemasons today. It echoes corporate life and I'm still thinking on the practicality of implementing such a thing ( it came from QLD James).... but it's worth thinking on the merits of a sort of Professional Development Plan rather than what we currently do... which is lay down vague paths to simple goals around history, ritual, the esoteric, or developing knowledge or skill which a newer bro is seeking. A PDP might be a good way too go, but it would really need to be owned by the student rather than a sec or mentor.... but someone would need to participate in assisting the student to develop it...

All interesting comments.

One thing about Freemasonry.... its no quick path to success to true personal development, but it is a true vocation and challenging..., but above all it puts you in the company of good men with shared values and that's been of incredible value to me..

jermy Bell and Warrior1256 like this.
  18. Warrior1256

Agreed!

19. Bro MBGellner RAM; 32nd

Bro MBGellner RAM; 32nd Registered User

It is easy to become obsessed with a billion explanations of our symbols. The craftsman should reflect on his teachings and works. The deeper meanings will occur to you more over time and with practiced reflection.

In the end, we are but a copy made in an image. And our teachings are to practice this image. It is a sacred truth that if you are a copy; then the one true form exists. We are rough longing to be perfect and by the symbolism of the dialogue the allegory teachings are a prophecy to us that the perfect one does exist.

God is at its center
    And we are God's followers.
    God calls us a priesthood.
    We are the priests.
    We have chosen a side because we choose light. Light is good. And there is no darkness in God.

mas3719 likes this.
  20. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

Y do u keep posting that?

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app

coachn, Bloke and jermy Bell like this.

Share My Freemasonry