My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Worshipful Master and his Wardens

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
GL law say that a TX Brother can get in with a dues card and DL although examantion may take place is unnecsary and redundent

I don't agree with that law. It's easy as hell to fake a dues card, but it's much harder to pass an examination.

owls84

Premium Member
How can that be at the liberty of the WM? The obligation says OR lawful ... so that leads me to believe if he has a dues card and ID then by gosh we must let him in. And with the Articles listed above we must. I would say that if a Brother is not let in and he is in posession of the proper identifications then he is in.

I know also what the Tyler says contradicts this. He says AND. So does the Master's Degree.

Am I wrong?

Wingnut

Premium Member
Remember- that is at the option of the WM.

Art. 380. (416). Good Standing. Upon notification to the Worshipful Master, and at his discretion, a member of a Lodge under the jurisdiction of this Grand Lodge may visit any Texas Masonic Lodge working under this jurisdiction without the avouchment and or examination process providing that he is in good standing and presents a receipt from his Lodge showing that his dues are current at the time of said visitation along with a photo identification; except in cases provided for in Art. 382. Sojourning Masons from other jurisdictions must possess a current dues card and shall be vouched for or examined in accordance with Art. 381. (Revised 1999)

Just my reading and understanding of course but: This, taken with Art 383 means that a GL of TX Mason can visit any lodge within the GL of TX and his entrance can not be denied. However, the WM can request an examination above that of him showing his dues card and photo ID. Even then, if 383 is understood correctly a member of the GL of TX can ONLY be denied entry into any TX LODGE if

Art. 383. (419). Visitors Excluded: When. A visitor, who is not a member in good standing of a Lodge working under the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of Texas, may be excluded on the objection of a member of the Lodge at the discretion of the Worshipful Master. When three members make the objection, such visitor must be excluded.

Like objection may be made to a member of a Lodge working under the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of Texas only if such member is under charges preferred against him.

Nate Riley

Premium Member
I don't agree with that law. It's easy as hell to fake a dues card, but it's much harder to pass an examination.

Since I brought the issue examination up and was then informed of the dues card issue, I went back to my instructor who is a past master. He said that is occurred when he was Jr. or Sr. Warden, so it was long before the 1999 revision I guess. He couldn't remember exactly what it was related to, but it came up in a recent conversation about voting and one brother who invited some vistors to vote with him.

Blake, he agrees with you that simply presenting the dues card and ID is junk. He thinks you should have to "scratch in" if there is any question. But he also adds that a suspended or expelled (who was willing to violate the test oath) could "scratch in", if you didn't make him show his dues card.

It seems to me that the new law (1999) regarding the dues card and id, which is more convenient and less time consuming is contradictory to the traditional (ancient) method of proving oneself and authentic mason.

Last edited:

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member

Someone would have to go through some trouble to get an embossing emblem for a lodge but it could be done. I always felt that if someone is that motivated they will learn the work off the internret also b/c that is just as easy to get. Do not get me wrong I love the examination process but the law is the law and it says dues card gets you in. I think this is one of those GL laws though that only is enforced when a multi-titled Mason complains.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Do not get me wrong I love the examination process but the law is the law and it says dues card gets you in.

Not quite. Art. 380 says the dues card & photo ID gets you in IF it's OK with the WM- otherwise, you get the examination. :eek:

Wingnut

Premium Member
Is the objective of the examination to get a Visiting Brother INTO the Lodge or to KEEP a Visiting Brother Out? The answer to that question says a lot about a lodge...

Exercise 3 of the SW book of the LIFE program states: "---Assure him that he has nothing to be worried or embarrassed about, and that is is the committee's intent to enable him to sit with them in lodge."

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
Not quite. Art. 380 says the dues card & photo ID gets you in IF it's OK with the WM- otherwise, you get the examination. :eek:

I am defintley misinterperting this law then because it clearly says in art 380 that a reciept is good enough, now it also says the WM has discrestion whiether he lets you in or not but the art says if you have dues card you can get in without an avouchment or exam.

I have no dought you are correct Brother Linns as I know experience is the real teacher. This does make this law contradict itslef and make it meaningless. Why do they not word the art like "No one enters a Lodge untill the WM is satisfied" I mean this is what the laws says first then goes on on and about dues card and avouchments for no reason.

Let me ask if the WM refuses a Mason of the GLoT in good standing addmission does he have to have a reason or could it be just b/c he does not like you?

Wingnut

Premium Member
A Texas Lodge may not refuse entry to a member of the Grand Lodge of Texas that is in Good Standing (current dues card) and does NOT have charges pending against him.

This came up for reasons of race and the GM told the DDGM to read article 383 and to make it very clear that refusing a GLoT Masons entry for any reason other than him having charges pending would be a violation of Masonic Law and could result in removal of the charter.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
A Texas Lodge may not refuse entry to a member of the Grand Lodge of Texas that is in Good Standing (current dues card) and does NOT have charges pending against him.

This came up for reasons of race and the GM told the DDGM to read article 383 and to make it very clear that refusing a GLoT Masons entry for any reason other than him having charges pending would be a violation of Masonic Law and could result in removal of the charter.

This is the way I interpet the law but what is the addition about the WMs discretion? What does he have discretion about?

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
This is the way I interpet the law but what is the addition about the WMs discretion? What does he have discretion about?

He has the right to decide if a photo ID & dues card will be sufficient for entrance into the Lodge or if an examination will be required.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
the art says if you have dues card you can get in without an avouchment or exam.

At the option of the WM. He has the right to decide if a dues card & photo ID will be good enough or if an exam will need to be given.

Let me ask if the WM refuses a Mason of the GLoT in good standing addmission does he have to have a reason or could it be just b/c he does not like you?

If a Texas Mason in good standing & not laboring under charges is refused admission, the WM better have a very good reason why. As stated above, the WM may require avouchment or an examination, but as long as the visiting Brother agrees to such & passes, he MUST be admitted.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
He has the right to decide if a photo ID & dues card will be sufficient for entrance into the Lodge or if an examination will be required.

What would be a sceniro a WM would not be satisfied with dues card and photo ID? I mean barring it is not a total fake which is a whole other question for another time. GL law saying dues card is good basicaly said there is no need to remember the tilers oath or prepare for an exam at all from a lodge so what would constitute an exam as well as dues card and id?

Brother Bill I hope I am not leaning on you to hard for your wisdom, the proper understanding of our law is very important to me and this one is just not adding up to me but as usual I bet it is because I am overlooking something and need a second set of eyes to show me to the light.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
Well nix my last post you answered in your last post. Thanks Brother Bill you are a enrichment to the craft.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
What would be a sceniro a WM would not be satisfied with dues card and photo ID? I mean barring it is not a total fake which is a whole other question for another time. GL law saying dues card is good basicaly said there is no need to remember the tilers oath or prepare for an exam at all from a lodge so what would constitute an exam as well as dues card and id?

Bro. Rhit- let's look at this from another angle. Before Art. 380 was revised in 1999, the WM did not have the option of allowing a Brother into Lodge with just his dues card & photo ID. Avouchment or examination was REQUIRED. The law was modified to make it EASIER for a visiting Brother to attend Lodge, not the other way around.

BTW, thanks for the kind words- I'll try to be worthy of them!

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
Bro. Rhit- let's look at this from another angle. Before Art. 380 was revised in 1999, the WM did not have the option of allowing a Brother into Lodge with just his dues card & photo ID. Avouchment or examination was REQUIRED. The law was modified to make it EASIER for a visiting Brother to attend Lodge, not the other way around.

BTW, thanks for the kind words- I'll try to be worthy of them!

I see said the blind man! I was looking at that from a negative stand point thank you for calling me on that Brother Bill I see why now b/c change is hard and if they took that option away from the WM then the law probably would have never been voted in and it would still be exam and dues card which frankly I am a fan of, anybody that has examined me or I them have ended up becoming good buddies and I always remember their names after it.