My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tilers Oath

Sirius

I was taught the oath.

Esoteric in Texas? Page 4 of the Louisiana Monitor. Funny how something can be a secret one place and printed the next state over.

js4253

Premium Member
Premium Member
I was taught the oath.

Esoteric in Texas? Page 4 of the Louisiana Monitor. Funny how something can be a secret one place and printed the next state over.

I have heard that if a Brother Mason doesn't know the Tilers Oath he can place his hand upon the Holy Bible and repeat the Oath to gain entrance. A lot of the old timers say they couldn't pass the test to get into the Lodge because it has been so long since they have attended. This is one way to get them in.

Wingnut

Premium Member
That goes back to a question I asked before that nobody answered: Do you examine to get Brothers IN the lodge, or to keep Brothers OUT of the lodge?

scottmh59

I have heard that if a Brother Mason doesn't know the Tilers Oath he can place his hand upon the Holy Bible and repeat the Oath to gain entrance. A lot of the old timers say they couldn't pass the test to get into the Lodge because it has been so long since they have attended. This is one way to get them in.

thats right..me and brother tom had to do this when we visited a lodge in arlington...rhit didnt though,cause the little show off knew it:rolleyes:

js4253

Premium Member
Premium Member
That goes back to a question I asked before that nobody answered: Do you examine to get Brothers IN the lodge, or to keep Brothers OUT of the lodge?

I would hope that if a Brother wanted to return to Lodge after an extended absence, that we would want to see that he got in.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member

To get them in. It is easy to know if someone knows after a few questions.

RedTemplar

Johnny Joe Combs
Premium Member
In regards to the Tiler's Oath,The manner in which the Holy Bible is presented and received would be considered more esoteric than the oath itself. Would it not?

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Bro. Blake, in answer to your original question: in Texas work, the Tiler's Oath (called the "Test Oath" in our code book) is esoteric. The Bible presentation is not part of the prescribed MM degree but comes afterward, and is not esoteric. It is printed in plain English in our Monitor.

Last edited:

cemab4y

Premium Member
The Tyler's oath is presented in its entirety in the Kentucky Monitor. I have visited lodges in 13 states, and Washington DC, and the procedure varies from state to state, and even from lodge to lodge in the same state.

In some states, the tyler's oath is printed on a card, and you read it aloud.

In some states, the examiner will read it phrase by phrase, and the examinee repeats it.

Some states do not have a standard tyler's oath.

Normally, once the senior warden (or his representative) is satisfied that you are a Master Mason, in good standing, with a paid up dues card, then you are free to enter the lodge and fellowship.

Many Masons are so nervous and terrified, that they might not pass the exam, that they avoid visiting other lodges, when they are traveling. This fear is groundless.

I encourage all Masons, to visit lodges both in their communities, and in other states and foreign lands.

Last edited:

RedTemplar

Johnny Joe Combs
Premium Member
The Tyler's oath is presented in its entirety in the Kentucky Monitor. I have visited lodges in 13 states, and Washington DC, and the procedure varies from state to state, and even from lodge to lodge in the same state.

In some states, the tyler's oath is printed on a card, and you read it aloud.

In some states, the examiner will read it phrase by phrase, and the examinee repeats it.

Some states do not have a standard tyler's oath.

Normally, once the senior warder (or his representative) is satisfied that you are a Master Mason, in good standing, with a paid up dues card, then you are free to enter the lodge and fellowship.

Many Masons are so nervous and terrified, that they might not pass the exam, that they avoid visiting other lodges, when they are traveling. This fear is groundless.

I encourage all Masons, to visit lodges both in their communities, and in other states and foreign lands.

The Tyler's Oath itself is not esoteric ritual in Kentucky. However, The procedures immediately preceding the administering of the oath are.

cemab4y

Premium Member
Speaking of which, whats the word on the GL of Iraq?

There is no "Grand Lodge of Iraq". There are a number of Prince Hall lodges, operating on some of the military bases, but these are all chartered by the various Prince Hall Grand Lodges in the USA, mainly Texas and Oklahoma. There are no "mainstream" masonic lodges, sponsored by a USA Grand Lodge operating in Iraq at this time.

The last time that a USA F&AM lodge operated in Iraq, was in 2005. See

WELCOME TO THE ESM ONLINE Fall 2005 issue page 32.

You can keep up with our progress in trying to get a lodge operating here, at

Charles Martin's Blog. Iraq, Afghanistan and Freemasonry

HKTidwell

Premium Member
I just looked it up, is promise omitted? Is that accurate? I was never taught the test oath but I have seen it administered over a Bible due to the brother not remembering it.

JBD

Premium Member
I have to tell you it is NOT slowly going away. I used it just two days ago in our Lodge. It is used in at least half the places I have visited outside Texas.

It is INDEED esoteric and it is INDEED in the Texas "book"

You need to know and be ready to say it if you travel out of Texas as a Texas Mason or if you come to Texas as a Mason from another jurisdiction.

owls84

Premium Member
There is no "Grand Lodge of Iraq". There are a number of Prince Hall lodges, operating on some of the military bases, but these are all chartered by the various Prince Hall Grand Lodges in the USA, mainly Texas and Oklahoma. There are no "mainstream" masonic lodges, sponsored by a USA Grand Lodge operating in Iraq at this time.

The last time that a USA F&AM lodge operated in Iraq, was in 2005. See

WELCOME TO THE ESM ONLINE Fall 2005 issue page 32.

You can keep up with our progress in trying to get a lodge operating here, at

Charles Martin's Blog. Iraq, Afghanistan and Freemasonry

Brother, I have to ask. Being in the military you are surrounded by PHA. What is the reception of you? Are you treated like I have seen some treated by GLoTX "Masons". Have you discussed the intervisitation with them at all? I am just curious about the flip side.

cemab4y

Premium Member
Brother, I have to ask. Being in the military you are surrounded by PHA. What is the reception of you? Are you treated like I have seen some treated by GLoTX "Masons". Have you discussed the intervisitation with them at all? I am just curious about the flip side.

For the record, I am a civilian contractor, working a project for the US Army. I was in the Air Force 1973-1978. And yes, there are many PH masons here. There are four(4) lodges on Victory Base Complex, where I live. There are also two(2) eastern star chapters.

I am always proud to give the grip and exchange greetings with a Prince Hall brother. I have always been treated with friendship and kindness by all of the PH brothers that I meet here.

My mother lodge in Kentucky, does not yet recognize PH masonry. I belong to lodges in Massachusetts and New York, which do recognize many, but not all Prince Hall grand lodges.

I cannot visit any Prince Hall lodges, or my mother lodge will suspend or expel me. I cannot even go to a 4th of July barbecue. I am very unhappy with this policy, but until the Grand Lodge of Kentucky recognizes PH masonry, I am stuck.

nick1368

I had to learn the Tilers Oath to get certified by our DI before going to the South; I was not taught it until I was going to get certified