My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transgender Masons

pointwithinacircle2

Rapscallion
Premium Member
I see being Transgender as a conflict between what one thinks/feels and their physical reality. If a person cannot bring their thinking and feeling into alignment with physical reality they have a huge problem within their self. I consider Freemasonry to be, like geometry, the science studying of reality so that I can better adjust my thinking and feeling to what is real.

GKA

Premium Member
It pains me to see people so distressed as to their perceptions of who they are vs who they think they should be.
If we can ever get past the physical to see our brothers and sisters as the true spirits they are without the excess baggage they carry, there may be hope for the human race.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
I dont think that is what he was saying....pretty sure he was saying ""a man freeborn" as such this clarifies it for me" meaning it says "a man free born" amd that settles it for him. I thought u meant that ur jurisdictions dont use a "man freeborn"

Reactions: GKA

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I dont think that is what he was saying....pretty sure he was saying ""a man freeborn" as such this clarifies it for me" meaning it says "a man free born" amd that settles it for him. I thought u meant that ur jurisdictions dont use a "man freeborn"
Ahh. In that case it doesn't make sense to me. The ritual language doesn't say "born a man." Rather it expresses the present state of sexuality, modified by the condition of liberty at birth.

Further, it only solves half the problem, if you will. Part of the query is the MTF transgendered member. The interpretation of "born a man" would seem to allow the member, or a petitioner to reman.

No, Emulation doesn't use that term.

Rob_Eades

I agree. Its no secret that here in New Zealand we fancy ourselves quite "progressive" (take from that what you will), but if a unilateral decision was made by the Grand Lodge of New Zealand to accept all transgendered people the craft would probably lose 90% of her members.

If I had to guess, I would say that Freemasonry in New Zealand would adopt a "Don't ask, don't tell" approach. Issues like this would be put firmly in the too hard basket.

If a Grand Lodge were to create an acceptance either by intentional lax policy or especially open allowance of homosexuality or transgender Masons, the greatest majority of Grand Lodges worldwide would declare those Grand Lodges clandestine. There has already been indications that this is the path that most Grand Lodges will follow.

GKA

Premium Member
Ahh. In that case it doesn't make sense to me. The ritual language doesn't say "born a man." Rather it expresses the present state of sexuality, modified by the condition of liberty at birth.

As it is part of the EA ritual, I will not quote it exactly, expecting those who read it to understand.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
If a Grand Lodge were to create an acceptance either by intentional lax policy or especially open allowance of homosexuality or transgender Masons, the greatest majority of Grand Lodges worldwide would declare those Grand Lodges clandestine. There has already been indications that this is the path that most Grand Lodges will follow.
Citation regarding homosexuality? This not a recognition standard of either the CGMNA or the Home GLs. I know a number of gay Masons, including one who is married to another brother. One of my jobs in the fraternity is recognition, and I've no heard this mooted.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
pls note, I did not make the statement:

"I will not quote it exactly, expecting those who read it to understand."

Bro. S.Brown

Premium Member
The chromosome makeup can never be altered...regardless of surgical modifications! Maybe I'm a little too old school...but this move to embrace gender reassignment or anything similar to it is an infinite slippery slope.

mrpierce17

KOP Council director / Lodge instructor
Premium Member
The chromosome makeup can never be altered...regardless of surgical modifications! Maybe I'm a little too old school...but this move to embrace gender reassignment or anything similar to it is an infinite slippery slope.
I totally agree