My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transgender Masons

Companion Joe

Premium Member
OK, so obviously I did botch it.
Anyway, one was a picture of the "Dukes" saying grace at the table, and the other was a picture promoting transgender pregnancy.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
CJRniH4VEAEFnii.png
CJRnh5wUsAAVEnn.jpg

Companion Joe

Premium Member
It doesn't have the same impact out of context and all together. Sorry, what can I say? I still write on actual paper using a fountain pen! ;)

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I believe a person cannot be 'transistioned' male to female or visa versa. The body may be chemically and surgically altered but one is still what they were born as. We don't have to answer for our black balls. All that is necessary is if we believe the petitioner will not make a good Mason. After the fact? Thorny issue. I have to wonder why a male to female trans would want to stay except to make a fuss.
Well, we never have members of our lodges who only seem to attend just to make a fuss, do we?

Companion Joe

Premium Member
Oh, geez. I need to go scrub my frontal lobe.

Why would you need to do that because I was taking a self-deprecating jab at myself by pointing out I was having technical difficulties? I initially tried to post the two photos and the tweet but failed because I wasn't sure how to and didn't do it correctly the first time. I followed that by a comment indicating that ultimately, I am more adept at using a pen, ink, and paper more than computers.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
Oh, gotcha. I'm slow in more ways than one, apparently. I thought it was a comment directed at me saying I use a fountain pen.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I have some contact with such a group and as you might expect they are more interested in whether the brethren are upright and of good will. Certainly there has been complete acceptance of a lesbian couple in one of the local lodges.

The transgender issue for Freemasonry seems only to arise from the male-only rule.

Various Christian churches gave up on male-only clergy when they ran out of male candidates. Mainstream Freemasonry seems however to be made of sterner stuff and just accepts that lodges must close.

Whether that suits the GAOTU does not seem to have been addressed.

Well, I also suspect co-masons would be more welcoming of transgender, but I'm not convinced it has anything to do with looking for the upright, I know of a State GL Mason expelled for his abusive behavior who was accepted in their ranks.

You assume G-d cares if Lodges close. I don't believe He does.

Rob_Eades

This subject becomes a moot point in Virginia. The petition has a statement concerning gender at birth and continuance as a male that is verified as true with the petitioners signature and addresses several items, including convictions.

hanzosbm

Premium Member
This subject becomes a moot point in Virginia. The petition has a statement concerning gender at birth and continuance as a male that is verified as true with the petitioners signature and addresses several items, including convictions.
Very interesting. Brother Eades, do you happen to know when this statement came about? I would think that the transgender aspect is a relatively recent phenomena so it stands to reason that the statement is recent as well. It seems like it was made long enough ago however that it wasn't in reaction to all the recent media attention.

Rob_Eades

It came into effect in 2014, prior to all of the current hoopla. Mandatory background checks have been put into effect as well. These measures have already shown to be beneficial and have shown no affect on the number of petitioners as far as I know. We're in a different time and place and it seems to be the order of the day the allow morals and public decency to be wash away with the words and text of what we used to call silver tongued Devils. Hence, anything seems to be justified almost on a whim. It's time now that Masonry stand steadfast to its principles and this is a step in maintaining in that direction. Candidates for Freemasonry don't join just one Lodge, they join them all, therefore we all must look well to the Westgate.