My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Update regarding PGM Frank Haas/ GL West Virginia case

Frater Cliff Porter

Premium Member
I like the ruling, it provides that the Grand Lodge did not act appropriately, but allows for the Masons to work out their own internal issues.

Its reasonable and I certainly would not want civilian courts deciding who should or could be a Mason.

The truth is, with a just a change or two in the line, Frank will find solace and be re-instated.

Raymond Walters

Premium Member
The following is a statement issued after PGM Frank Haas' civil trial in Charleston, West Virginia. For the record, I AM the Freemason denied admission into Marshall-Union Lodge #8 in Moundsville, WV for un-masonic reasons which is what caused PGM Haas, then WV Grand Master in 2005 to take action by way of the Wheeling Reforms as they are called. At the time I was denied admission for visitation purposes I was a member of Valley Hi Lodge #1407 AF&AM in San Antonio, Texas. I had already pulled a demit for purpose of affiliating with a lodge in WV and have been denied.
When I attempted to return my membership to my last lodge in Texas, I have been given so much run-around that I chose to leave it alone.
Perhaps I should have left my membership in Texas? Hmmm..... one will never know!

Reflections on my trial
I won what became a bitter contest, because the Court ruled, as I said from the beginning, that there had been a breach of contract: the Grand Lodge did not follow its own law, which forms a contract with all its members. The Grand Lodge denied my right to a fair Masonic trial. The Court also separately ruled that grand masters cannot summarily expel any members, and it is unreasonable and unenforceable if they do. However, without injunctive relief, which I also requested, winning is a Pyrrhic victory: it feels empty, like this whole process. The true loser in this sad affair is our gentle Craft in West Virginia and those many honorable Masons who suffer in silence while the in-crowd crows about dodging a bullet.
Without ever allowing the Craft to vote on it, your grand officers spent perhaps $400,000 from our – your – treasury, only to lose their case. My own legal expenses approach several times my annual salary—a problem I have yet to solve.
It is true: I remain unlawfully expelled. But that doesn’t matter to me now. Doing the right thing is far more important. It is the fading of the dream of the Wheeling Reforms that I mourn. They are so sorely needed, the reforms that we voted on and which were adopted by the Craft in our Grand Communication in Wheeling in 2006. The favorable vote was proven in sworn testimony by three witnesses in my trial, yet these reforms continue to be denied. Masons in West Virginia still may not pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States when we assemble; a handicapped war veteran cannot become a Mason if he lost his thumb; and our rules about participation in funeral honors remain deplorable and an insult to widows and families. And we say we honor widows! My friends, I fear that without these reforms, and the others, we will continue to be mocked, and marginalized, and will miss the resurgence now taking place in other jurisdictions.
I won—but not enough to bring West Virginia the justice that had been denied her, and for that, I am profoundly sorry. Please know that I did my very best.
Fraternally,
Frank Joseph Haas
judgefjh@swave.net
133rd Grand Master of Masons in West Virginia
Senior Deacon, Steubenville Lodge #45,
Grand Lodge of Ohio, F & AM
16 December 2010

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
All it would take is a member of the GLoWV to bring Masonic charges against the PGM's that violated the rules. As evidence, they would already have the court ruling of them breaking contract by violating the rules of the GLoWV.

jwhoff

Premium Member
It's a old wife's tale that black men aren't involved in the Grand Lodge of Texas. I've met them everywhere. I am proud to be their brother. They have served in offices in the blue lodge and Scottish Rite. Since I'm not a member of the York Rite at this time I would not be able to bare witness to that organization's demographics.

A good man is a good man. If you look hard enough you can't see the color of his skin for the brightness of the light that shines from within.

JohnnyFlotsam

Premium Member
If you look hard enough you can't see the color of his skin for the brightness of the light that shines from within.
So true, and yet how is it that, almost 10 years into the 21st century, so many still can't get past this, the most superficial of things that define a person?

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
So true, and yet how is it that, almost 10 years into the 21st century, so many still can't get past this, the most superficial of things that define a person?

One reason why is that racism is still a billion dollar industry these days. Think of all the people that get paychecks as long as racism stays around. Plus in today's society, it always seems easier to blame someone else then to take responsibility onesself.

Also given that some people are just living in the past. I already have to combat the ignorance of my girlfriend's son's cousin on my girlfriend's son. The cousin would fit in as one of the town extras in the "Heat of the Night" movie with Sidney Porter.