My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

virgin weeping

cambridgemason

Premium Member
Premium Member
brethren, need your help on a topic, here in cambridge we have commissioned an artist to REpaint our virgin weeping, but on the old painting which dates back past 130 years show a star located at the lower left hand side of the painting in the background just to the left of the broken column with rays of light. Does anyone in Texas have a virgin painting, does yours show a star, does anyone know the meaning behind the star.(meaning, why would it be on that painting)? Can not find a reference to it anywhere, but did come across at liveauctioneers site a past auction with a 1850 South Carolina apron with the Virgin weeping, on the right next to father time is the anchor and to the left a star, tried to download it but having problems with that site.

Sirius

The star is highly significant in Masonry. It's not so simple. Basically, Venus behaves in a very predictable pattern that was observed by the ancients. Part of this behavior is observed on June and December 24th, the two Masonic high holidays.

cambridgemason

Premium Member
Premium Member
thank you Worshipful for the information, I know that there can be many different meanings for this star, I should have stated it's position really makes me wonder. Why to the lower left or on the left side in both cases, our painting and the masonic apron. In all the paintings, charts, drawings, etc. I have seen over the years the star is in most cases placed either dead center or at a higher level, just very strange to have it at that location. I know that the painting has some meaning to past history, with orisis and venus but is that why perhaps the star is located on this painting?

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
it could as simple as a mark that the artist put onto it.

do you know the artist, or company that produced the print, perhaps?

i think the best thing to do is to take a picture of it and post it.

HKTidwell

Premium Member
A five pointed Star also alludes to the five points of fellowship. I read somewhere this was one of reasons Texas chose a Five pointed star for our beloved Texas.

cambridgemason

Premium Member
Premium Member
it could as simple as a mark that the artist put onto it.

do you know the artist, or company that produced the print, perhaps?

i think the best thing to do is to take a picture of it and post it.

it is a painting and no idea on who painted it. the middle chamber paintings all i know is they date from 1860 and the lodge paid 75 for the four. we also have the point within a circle which also is dark from the years., we have checked it for any signatures or marks once we took the old girl down, we combed over it pretty well. it is in the hands of the artist now, he is blocking out the new painting, when back maybe will take and post a pic.

Last edited:

Sirius

it appears everything on it is there for a symbolic reason of Freemasonry. Very cool stuff.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
i am on the historic preservation committee for the city of college station and have access to some art professors at A&M. they may be able to help out if you could get me a high res photo.

cambridgemason

Premium Member
Premium Member
well no need my brothers, as the saying goes, ask it it shall be given. a friend of mine in Atlanta gave me the information that I was seeking, the star is named(hope I have it spelled right) Maia, one of the seven sisters, mother of Hermes. A five pointed star which also represents Geometry. So seems that the painter either copied it from an old plate or knew about this and added it, any case we will add it back into the new painting and see if anyone notices it.
thanks

Jay

I would still like to see a pic. it sounds wonerful if you can post one Borther cambridgmason