My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Visitation Between Prince Hall and Regular Lodges

catsale

I just saw the very powerful film, 12 years a slave. I think it is time that the Grand Lodge of Texas had a legislative vote in 2014 session to allow visitation between regular lodges and prince hall lodges. If the masons truly believe that the inner characteristics make the man, then why do we not have this visitation and recognition? To allow the Texas grand lodge to continue with this pre-Civil War mentality is a little awkward. And don't tell me peace and harmony is the reason - I think we must be called to the higher calling of social fairness and putting our idea of that we are all brothers under the same Supreme Architect of the Universe into real action. At least the Scottish Rite is recognizing the prince halls. Now we have to get Grand lodge of Texas on board. Anyone here fell the same way as me?

bupton52

Premium Member
Re: Visitation Between Prince Hall and Regular Lod

I just saw the very powerful film, 12 years a slave. I think it is time that the Grand Lodge of Texas had a legislative vote in 2014 session to allow visitation between regular lodges and prince hall lodges. If the masons truly believe that the inner characteristics make the man, then why do we not have this visitation and recognition? To allow the Texas grand lodge to continue with this pre-Civil War mentality is a little awkward. And don't tell me peace and harmony is the reason - I think we must be called to the higher calling of social fairness and putting our idea of that we are all brothers under the same Supreme Architect of the Universe into real action. At least the Scottish Rite is recognizing the prince halls. Now we have to get Grand lodge of Texas on board. Anyone here fell the same way as me?

I feel the same way, but it is unfair to place all of the "blame" on the GLoTX. Both parties have an opportunity to move things forward.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member

Look west to NM, as well. Intervisitation is alive and well there.

catsale

Wow, this is good to know. I am proud to of my brothers in Oklahoma's grand lodges for setting up visitation between PH lodges and "regular" lodges. I think that is the right spirit of masonry. I grew up in Oklahoma and still go up there to visit family (live in Texas now). The most proud I have ever been to wear my dougle eagle 32nd degree hat was on the recent visit to Guthrie, Oklahoma to watch their recent re-union and the facility, degrees, and people were great.

Last edited:

towerbuilder7

Premium Member

My District Brother Upton is correct-----can't place the entire blame on the GLoTX-----the MWPHGLTX has failed to come to the table and hold up their end of the bargain at least twice, and has failed to give the CRAFT AT LARGE a reason. I don't care about the antiquated argument about racism existing on both sides----NOT NEW NEWS. Those of us who TRULY revere the SUPERSTRUCTURE of Masonry, and also truly accept the Brother for the INTERNAL qualities, not the EXTERNAL, will eventually move to follow the lead of other States in the Country. It's simple----those who wish to participate in Intervisitation------DO SO, AND ENJOY THE REAL FELLOWSHIP THE GAOTU SET FORTH WHEN HE CREATED OUR BROTHERHOOD...............those who are resistant to progression or change------DON'T PARTICIPATE.............JUST MY .02

Bro. David F. Hill

David F. Hill
Premium Member

At the just completed Mid-Winter session of the MWPHGLTX a resolution was introduced, passed and send to the Fraternal Relations Committee to allow for visitation. One resolution down, one to go.

dfreybur

Premium Member

At the just completed Mid-Winter session of the MWPHGLTX a resolution was introduced, passed and send to the Fraternal Relations Committee to allow for visitation. One resolution down, one to go.

GLofTX has its annual communication this week. I say the Fraternal Relations Committee can and should put forward on the floor to accept the offer.

calvint357

If the bothers from the MW Grand Lodge of Texas put the idea to move forward on the floor then I'm sure we (MWPHGLOTX) would do the same.

Bro Thomas
MWPHGLOTX

RedTemplar

Johnny Joe Combs
Premium Member

As some around here keep saying, "Just a few more masonic burials".

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member

GLofTX has its annual communication this week. I say the Fraternal Relations Committee can and should put forward on the floor to accept the offer.
In his address. Bro. Normand alluded to the written report of the Committee, to be filed with the Grand Secretary, which allegedly contains "something" to do with the MWPHAGLoTX. No word on what it is or when it might become available.

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member

Have to make sure that communication doesn't get forgotten.

Sent From My Freemasonry Mobile App

dfreybur

Premium Member

In his address. Bro. Normand alluded to the written report of the Committee, to be filed with the Grand Secretary, which allegedly contains "something" to do with the MWPHAGLoTX. No word on what it is or when it might become available.

Members of both our our Texas jurisdictions have been waiting for our grand lines to move forward on the topic. In both cases we have not seen progress. That is not the only way to approach the issue. There is the direct legislation approach. Legislation presented through the process outranks the grand line including the sitting Grand Master.

Our brothers in PHA did exactly that a few weeks ago. Visitation was submitted on the floor, voted upon and passed. The ball is now in our court. By the word "our" here I do not mean our grand line's. By the word "our" here I mean our representatives.

We didn't make the deadline for this year's annual communication. We need to make the deadline for next year's annual communication. Submit the paperwork for a vote directly on the floor. Let's start now gathering verbiage and lining up signatures.

I take it as a PM in other jurisdictions not in Texas I am not authorized to sign legislation submissions here. With a copy of the verbiage I can talk at Stated meetings and gather signatures of the WM/SW/JW of the lodges in my district.

tomasball

Premium Member

If that is true, then nobody has informed the GLoT. Please provide documentation. The GLoT website usually posts the results of their communication within a couple of weeks. The GLoT can't take action based on what somebody posts on a forum.

bupton52

Premium Member

If that is true, then nobody has informed the GLoT. Please provide documentation. The GLoT website usually posts the results of their communication within a couple of weeks. The GLoT can't take action based on what somebody posts on a forum.

It is very possible that the GLoTX hasn't been informed yet. I don't believe that anyone expected them to make a move off of an internet post either. I'd hope that they would be following masonic protocol just like in any other matter.

Sincerely and Fraternally

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member

It is very possible that the GLoTX hasn't been informed yet. I don't believe that anyone expected them to make a move off of an internet post either. I'd hope that they would be following masonic protocol just like in any other matter.

Agreed.

tomasball

Premium Member

I'll agree with that. But I am hearing other members of this forum opining that since the GLoT got through their communication without voting for visitation, it's a conspiracy.

At this Mid-Winter session, did anyone tell the MWPHGLoT membership why their leadership cancelled the last meeting with our Committee on Fraternal Relations? Other than adopting a resolution, what information was offered to the members about the progress on this front? We seem to have a lot of comment on this forum about what was said and done at the GLoT communications, but we get very little insight on how the business goes and what is said about recognition and visitation at the MWGLoT meetings.

bupton52

Premium Member

I'll agree with that. But I am hearing other members of this forum opining that since the GLoT got through their communication without voting for visitation, it's a conspiracy.

At this Mid-Winter session, did anyone tell the MWPHGLoT membership why their leadership cancelled the last meeting with our Committee on Fraternal Relations? Other than adopting a resolution, what information was offered to the members about the progress on this front? We seem to have a lot of comment on this forum about what was said and done at the GLoT communications, but we get very little insight on how the business goes and what is said about recognition and visitation at the MWGLoT meetings.

All I will say is that there is a side to this story that we are not hearing, apparently. It is becoming clearer that there are multiple versions of the event that never took place being told.