My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Waco Bound

BroBill

Site Benefactor
Site Benefactor
From my notes:

HO19 pass
HO8 pass
PP10 amended, pass
PP11 amended, pass
PP18 withdrawn
1 pass
2 fail
3 pass
4 fail
5 pass
6 amended, fail
7 pass
8 fail
9 pass
10 fail
11 amended, pass
12 withdrawn
13 fail
14 amended, pass
15 pass
16 pass
17 pass
GMR1 amended, pass
GMR2 pass
GMR3 pass
GMR4 pass
That's awesome! Thank you brother!

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
it was somewhat disorganized and frustrating enough that I had no interest in returning Sat.
Agreed!

I had a gut feeling that the building repairs were going to be brought up again. Everyone wants to keep the building, it seems, but nobody wants to pay for it.
No, not everyone. There's a thread in the archives dealing with this topic- quite a few Brethren agree that the current building is an albatross around our necks.

maybe we can find a means to build a newer GL that's more sustainable with smaller membership...which would be smarter in the long run, IMO.

Precisely what we need to do, IMHO.

Bloke

Premium Member
(I've been siting back reading this thread... strange to see so many votes fail - very unusual here.... but we dont get many, maybe 1 or 2 votes every quarter.... the building issue sounds interesting, I'm always keen to hear ideas... UGLQ has a vote on for theirs - to transfer to a charitable trust, detail here, just realized it has been held and following up the outcome now)..

It sounds like a big event, can someone give a quick overview - process, activities, dress, voting system, is the GM elected there, how long people stay, if there is a crazy night of fun, can any MM attend, who votes, are there presentations from any non-freemasons, are there socials for the ladies ?

relapse98

Our Pre-opening (read non tyled) is on Thursday. The current Grand Lodge officers march in along with representatives from other Grand Lodges, other Masonic organizations, Masonic youth organizations etc. The youth groups, certainly, do their presentations that day along with as many of the others as they can squeeze in. They also present various awards including our Vanguard Awards (lodges that meet a set list of criteria each year - in my experience most lodges already do the stuff, they just don't fill out the paperwork).

Grand Lodge officially opens at 9am Friday. There is a 1.5 hour break for lunch and usually ends before 5pm. Picks up again on Saturday at 8am and everything has to be done by 2pm because that's when the installation is set in stone.

Dress.. don't get me started. Its about 50% coat and tie, and the rest are button down, polo, overalls, etc.

Any MM can attend. I think our registration cost is $10.

One thing I HATE about Grand Lodge is how casual it is. People do things they won't do in their normal lodge. I get the needing to go to the bathroom and that's fine, but there are people that get up and start leaving when the GM is attempting to close. GIVE ME A BREAK. It takes 2 minutes to call from labor, sit on your ass and wait.

Voting system.. we submit resolutions early in the year, they go through the committees and before Grand Lodge a book is sent out to the lodges with all the Resolutions and Grand Master's recommendations. In my lodge, we discuss these with the brothers to see how they want to vote. At GL, each item is brought up and discussed. Sometimes amendeded. And we now have electronic voting which didn't work quite as well as planned but it sure made voting for GL officers quicker. Sometimes there's a lot of discussion on things you thought would pass with flying colors.

There are programs for the ladies, they go on shopping trips etc. The ladies that come from our lodge do their own thing.

There was a fancy banquet on Friday night this year, we did not go. Usually we get together with other lodges in our district and go out to dinner. We have our set restaurants that we hit.. the mexican place in front of our hotel, Mi Ranchito, Heitmiller. We stay in the same hotel every year.. its 2 miles from GL and a dump, but its cheap and easy to get to.

Yes, the GM and all other GL officers are elected there. This year, we had to vote for a new Grand Secretary as our awesome one that's served for 12 years retired. So that took up a lot of time. Last year, we had to vote for a new Grand Treasurer as our long time one retired. Usually the only really contested spot is for Grand Junior Warden.

The Grand Lodge of Texas has an extensive museum in the building. Its always nice to go look at that stuff. The quietest place in our building is the memorial chapel on the main floor. And on the lower level the various masonic bodies have displays and stuff set up. You can also purchase stuff from the merchandise people.

Bloke

Premium Member
Thanks for that detailed response !

Usually the only really contested spot is for Grand Junior Warden..

Hmm... is that because GJW is a feed position into GM ? Or does has have some duties folk want ?

Here, we have an electoral college system for the GM (often debated!), prior to it, the MWGM was elected by the floor of GL. Basically, we the college elected the Deputy GM and then he will become GM. Our GMs do a two year term.

relapse98

is that because GJW is a feed position into GM ?

Yep, that's the start of the elected line. GJW, GSW, DGM, GM. I guess one could nominate someone else for one of the spots above GJW, but that would be very strange. Our officers serve for 1 year, the new GM will actually serve for 13 months because we just moved the Annual Communication from the 1st Friday in December to the 2nd Friday in January because of an excuse that Baylor football games are using up the rooms and driving up costs.

JJones

One thing I HATE about Grand Lodge is how casual it is. People do things they won't do in their normal lodge. I get the needing to go to the bathroom and that's fine, but there are people that get up and start leaving when the GM is attempting to close. GIVE ME A BREAK. It takes 2 minutes to call from labor, sit on your ass and wait

This peeved me a lot this year. People were moving all over the place, even when the GM would ask them to remain seated for a few more minutes. I found it rude and disrespectful.

You dont have to respect the man, but have some respect for the position he holds.