Wardens' columns

Discussion in 'History and Research' started by David Hill, Aug 23, 2012.

1. David Hill

David Hill Registered User

Brothers, I'm curious about the columns that are at the warden's stations. What is their historic symbolism beyond indicating whether a lodge is open? Does anyone have any educational papers or references related to the topic?

2. Spring TX MM

Spring TX MM Premium Member

There is a great post in the vast wealth of information on this site that describes some of what I think you are looking for. It begins about the Wardens and about half way down, states a good amount about the Columns. The OP was by Bro. Blake. Here is the link... http://www.masonsoftexas.com/education-literature/13935-wardens.html Hope this helps.

S&F,
    Kyle

3. scialytic

scialytic Premium Member

Warden's Columns

Very enlightening! I've been starting to fish through the old posts. There is so much information on this site! Thanks for posting...

4. Spring TX MM

Spring TX MM Premium Member

Happy I was able to find it. That is one of the articles I have archived for my personal collection and read aloud in my lodge. Glad you enjoyed. Thanks again to Bro. Blake for the OP.

5. David Hill

David Hill Registered User

Thanks for the link. That's quite an interesting paper! I seem to recall reading somewhere that in some jurisdictions, the wardens used to have small columns placed beside their stations on the floor. I'm still trying to find that paper.

6. Blake Bowden

Blake Bowden Administrator Staff Member

7. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

[​IMG]

Here are Cautes with his torch (column) up and Cautopates with his down. They are supposed to represent sunrise and sunset but since only one torch is down, I might just as well say they represent midday and sunset.

And at the column of Cautes I was taught to be caut-ious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cautes_and_Cautopates

8. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

As I am doing now. I find old threads that interest me and revive them.

Bill Lins likes this.

Share My Freemasonry