My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Was MJ's Doc a Mason?

owls84

Premium Member
Very Valid points so what could you see being in the administrative side a way to not correct the "Doctor Shopping" but maybe oversight of doctors prescribing medications to patients that just don't need that medication.

Trust me I know there is not an easy answer but I am just brainstorming here for discussion sake. I mean would there be something you would go for if it came out of legislation?

HKTidwell

Premium Member
I am too Libertarian to ever want to expand governmental rules

Great answer! On this subject there are programs that are being developed to track everything from a pharmacy, hospital, and Dr. office. However anytime you add something to a Dr. office you affect the cost involved. Also no offense intended but I do not want to be tracked by cameras, programs, or anything else period. The more access that is allowed of my daily life the fewer freedoms I actually have, and the easier it is for a change in Government.

I have two friends in the medical field who have talked about the need for a tracking software for all medical field personal. I personally have issues with it because eventually you start tracking everything from IB prophen to Tums. Where do you stop?

People can overdose on Water.

This rational is also coming from a person who has never done drugs but believes drugs should be legal for a reduction in Prison costs and an increase in Taxable items. Plus I think by legalizing things like Weed you could control it better.

JBD

Premium Member
Josh - I think you are wanting a solution to a patient problem where there is, in actuality, not a significant issue in relation to the prescribing physician. The rules are very clear, the consequences usually devestating for the physicians and they are generally very reticent to cross the line. You have to remember, if it was an absolute, then it would be called the science of medicine, it is not and is called the Practice of Medicine.

The issue you now state is that you have forces pushing and pulling the dynamic. First lets be clear - the percentage of physicians who are knowing prescribing drugs patients do not need is more like 3-5% than 50%. You have some who do it to get the patient to shut up; you have some who do it to keep from getting sued; you have some who just weigh the possible side effects versus the risk of not doing something and just write the scrip. The actual number who are script factories is extremely low. Trying to pass a law, write regulations, or clutter our lives with more government intervention in our lives to solve/prevent any untoward outcome.

Texas is very aggressive in the punishment of docs. They will hammer them for just not documenting the actual reason for writing the scrip; they will hammer them if the patient has a problem. The Texas Medical Board posts all their actions on their website and you can verify your physician there as well.

Check it out here http://www.tmb.state.tx.us/
Be sure to look at the press releases, it is the area where the disciplinary actions are available in one place.

owls84

Premium Member
Thanks for the information... good site as well just went and found out the guy that wanted me to have back surgery had a malpractice suit dismissed about 4 years ago. Oh and should I add my second opinion said he was a "moron" that physical therapy would help and has.

JBD

Premium Member
ROFL - see Josh - the process is there, you just got lucky and a great second opinion physician

RedTemplar

Johnny Joe Combs
Premium Member
Its not just the health industry. What ever happened to the idea that we all should be responsible for our own actions? "How was I supposed to know that freshly brewed coffee was HOT, that is why I'm suing McDonald's for $3.8 BILLION!"

JBD

Premium Member
RedT -
Really bad example - the facts in the McDonalds case are such that the award was in line with the actions of McDonalds who intentionally raised the temperature of its coffee so they did not have to make coffee as often, thereby lowering their costs and making the public assumers of risk without that knowledge. Did you ever wonder why McDonald's coffee tasted different or why you had to let is cool off to drink?

They took an action based on economics, not to benefit their customers. And that grandmother had significant injury to her upper legs and genital area.

RedTemplar

Johnny Joe Combs
Premium Member
RedT -
Really bad example - the facts in the McDonalds case are such that the award was in line with the actions of McDonalds who intentionally raised the temperature of its coffee so they did not have to make coffee as often, thereby lowering their costs and making the public assumers of risk without that knowledge. Did you ever wonder why McDonald's coffee tasted different or why you had to let is cool off to drink?

They took an action based on economics, not to benefit their customers. And that grandmother had significant injury to her upper legs and genital area.

JBD,you are right in that I should have thought of a better example to state my point. However, I still plead my rationale is sound. McDonald's greed was to the extent of creating a public hazard and was definitely libel. At the same time, it is hard to convince me that Grandma didn't know that McDonald's coffee wasn't hot. It is also not far fetched to assume a certain amount of greed in Grandma as well. Did McDonalds really cause this much damage? In the end, who pays for all this? Have you ever wondered why a cup of coffee costs over a dollar? How about a visit to the doctor? And the medicine and/or the treatment he prescribed? Not to mention insurance costs of everyone involved? Or the legal fees?

Please forgive me for not staying on topic. But, JBD, Dadburnit, you caused it.:biggrin:

Last edited:

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Very Valid points so what could you see being in the administrative side a way to not correct the "Doctor Shopping" but maybe oversight of doctors prescribing medications to patients that just don't need that medication.

Trust me I know there is not an easy answer but I am just brainstorming here for discussion sake. I mean would there be something you would go for if it came out of legislation?

In Texas we already have a "triplicate prescription" program & there is a penalty for prescribing for a non-medical purpose (don't remember the exact wording). The Medical Board, Board of Pharmacy, & DPS Narcotics enforce these laws.

JBD

Premium Member
JBD,you are right in that I should have thought of a better example to state my point. However, I still plead my rationale is sound. McDonald's greed was to the extent of creating a public hazard and was definitely libel. At the same time, it is hard to convince me that Grandma didn't know that McDonald's coffee wasn't hot. It is also not far fetched to assume a certain amount of greed in Grandma as well. Did McDonalds really cause this much damage? In the end, who pays for all this? Have you ever wondered why a cup of coffee costs over a dollar? How about a visit to the doctor? And the medicine and/or the treatment he prescribed? Not to mention insurance costs of everyone involved? Or the legal fees?

Please forgive me for not staying on topic. But, JBD, Dadburnit, you caused it.:biggrin:

LOL - I am great at hijacking threads myself. My son is an attorney and he was telling me the details. The actions by McDonalds (at the corporate level and all the way to the store) was so far out of the realm of good business practices and concern for their customers that when it came out - they got nailed. If I remember correctly Granny needed multiple skin grafts and went through very painful burn treatments as well.

JBD

Premium Member
In Texas we already have a "triplicate prescription" program & there is a penalty for prescribing for a non-medical purpose (don't remember the exact wording). The Medical Board, Board of Pharmacy, & DPS Narcotics enforce these laws.

Federal Laws require triplicate Scedhule 2 scrips. Check out the link I posted to see what the penalties are for. If you think the IRS has too much power or can take action without completion of all steps of due process, you haven't seen anything until you see the FDA in action - they move first and you can explain later after the padlocks are on the doors - and most of the time you are explaining to a different Federal Agency.

I had an acquaintence several years ago who was invited to spend 36 months at club Fed for 4, yes 4 valium pills - forgot to actually "see the patient" before you write the prescription for your friend at the club.