My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are the qualities that must be had a profane man who wishes to enter the Masonic Brotherhood?

Mark89

Any masonic lodge around the world, matches the requirements of: Free man and good habits, believe in a Higher Being, etc.

What is your opinion about these requirements? Would they add other requirements?

I think it can be an interesting forum. Greetings.

a065cd80d9c74a7775156d120758d7ec.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

hfmm97

Premium Member
Any masonic lodge around the world, matches the requirements of: Free man and good habits, believe in a Higher Being, etc.

What is your opinion about these requirements? Would they add other requirements?

Mark89,
Many Grand Lodges require you to have a belief in "an immortal soul"
Some Grand Lodges (such as Louisiana, USA) prohibit members of the Communist party (or any group considered subversive to the government of the USA)
No regular grand lodge, by definition, admits women
Since most of these requirements have existed since the beginning of modern Masonry in the 1600s, it is my opinion that the grand lodges are not going to change their requirements.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
JustJames. said:
believe in a Higher Being
French lodges often do not require such a belief.
And it is for that very reason that those specific "French" lodges are not recognized by the whole of the Freemasonic world.
JustJames. said:
It could be argued that that requirement is excessively cultural and excludes most Buddhists.
Yeah, it could be argued... but many Buddhists would laugh at those who would for doing so.

Rifleman1776

Not sure what you are asking. If a petitioner gets a favorable from the investigation committee there is still the ballot box that determines if he becomes a member in good standing. If the investigation committee gives an 'unfavorable' report the question is moot.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
The requirements as required by my jurisdiction are good and I would not change them.
Same here.
And it is for that very reason that those specific "French" lodges are not recognized by the whole of the Freemasonic world.
Yeah, it could be argued... but many Buddhists would laugh at those who would for doing so.
Lol....Correct!
If the investigation committee gives an 'unfavorable' report the question is moot.
Here in my jurisdiction we still ballot on the candidate(s) even if the committee returns an unfavorable report.

Elexir

What is considerd good habits?

In Scandinavia many GLs have set the requirment to christian faith/believe. This requirment can also be found in some appendant bodies in some countries.

Last edited:

LK600

Premium Member

By "any" I think you meant many, and I would further clarify many to the word ALL, unless your referring to clandestine or unrecognized (not necessarily the same) fellowships?

I completely believe in them. The basic tenants we hold dear, though the specifics can vary from location to location.

Greetings to you as well sir.

Bloke

Premium Member
....Here in my jurisdiction we still ballot on the candidate(s) even if the committee returns an unfavorable report.

Same in Utah.
Interesting...

There are two reasons a candidate might be rejected in our lodges
1 - not a good fit for the lodge
2 - not fit to be a Freemason

But most lodges will only focus on the second item above. If there is question over a candidate, we will generally delay and keep him visiting us so we can check him out, but if he was rejected as not a good fit for the lodge - we would withdraw him and send him elsewhere.

If rejected on item 2 - we might do a few things - including balloting for him to get that noted in the State.. but I've never seen it happen in my lodge - but was once tempted... he applied elsewhere and was also unsuccessful.. but was never balloted for... he probably should have been but there were objections to the Grand Sec - which remain on file..

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
There are two reasons a candidate might be rejected in our lodges
1 - not a good fit for the lodge
2 - not fit to be a Freemason
Same here EXCEPT.......if he is rejected from a lodge in Kentucky he is still eligible to petition another lodge but he must wait at least 12 months after his rejection to petition another lodge and he must state on this petition that his previous petition was rejected.

Bloke

Premium Member
Same here EXCEPT.......if he is rejected from a lodge in Kentucky he is still eligible to petition another lodge but he must wait at least 12 months after his rejection to petition another lodge and he must state on this petition that his previous petition was rejected.
Simliar here.. can't remember the exact rules - here you have to disclose on all applications if you have applied to a lodge and if you were accepted..