My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you do with your phone during lodge meetings?

What do you do with your phone while in the lodge?

• Silence it.

Votes: 81 70.4%
  • Leave it in the car

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • nothing...no one calls me anyway.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • What's a cell phone?

Votes: 4 3.5%

• Total voters

jwhoff

Premium Member
Red beans and rice is an explosive issue among lodges down in the bayou country. Something to do with ground fog.

Beathard

Premium Member
Is there someone that will answer the lodge phone during the meeting? We are all in the lodge room, not the secretariy's office.

jwhoff

Premium Member
In Mississippi you are fined 50.00 for using it during open lodge... During practice it is not as strict.

You Johnny Rebs are pretty harsh on the violations. I was once headed to Lake Powell, thought better of it just west of Mineral Wells, turned around and headed to the Florida Keys. Well, truth is, me and my sidekick didn't say much after making the decision until we crossed The River and headed up the hill in Natchez.

See, we had been seeing signs all along the freeway posting $50 fines for littering. That damn sign at the top of the hill in Natchez said $500! We didn't say anything, we just both rolled down a window and pitched something out. You gotta live while the livin' is good.
:sneaky2:

Ashlar

I hate cell phones and peoples constant need to be in contact with one another . I miss the days when I could leave the house TO GET AWAY from a ringing phone and disappear for a little while . We replaced our land line with cell phones so When I am at home I leave my phone on at all times, but once I walk out my door , I turn my cell phone off and toss it in the glove box of my truck . I will check it when I am getting in/out of my truck when I reach my destination(s) , in case of emergencies only , but do not talk on it when in public unless I absolutely have too , nor do I like idle chit chat on a phone , I hate talking on phones and have been known to tell people who call me that "I have said enough" (even to my wife) and cut the call short/hang up . So , if anyone ever calls me and hears me say "I've said enough" get ready to hear a dead line because I am hanging up .

So , my phone stays in my truck during lodge meeting .

Tony Siciliano

Premium Member
I have a 1 y/o at home. I like to have it on my just in case anything pops up.

There's no fines in my Lodge... $50.00 sends a message though! :scared:

CHarris

I am really glade someone brought this up, I was at a meeting just the other day and a Brother was on his phone while studying the degree's in the Lodge Room. And then gets upset that we needed his assistance. Leave it in the car, Just Saying! I feel if some things are that pressing then mabey you should sit this one out and take care of some things then come back in when you are at a point you can give 100%. Just my thoughts, hope I don't offend anyone. I do understand, I have an EVO and it is real handy when you need info fast but there is a time and place.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
if anyone ever calls me and hears me say "I've said enough" get ready to hear a dead line because I am hanging up

You sound a lot like my father-in-law! When he'd say "I'm done talking now" he meant it- even when talking to his wife or mine! -:lol:

Ashlar

You sound a lot like my father-in-law! When he'd say "I'm done talking now" he meant it- even when talking to his wife or mine! -:lol:

LOL , It can be off putting to some who are just getting to know me , but my family and friends are used to it .

Hndrx

Premium Member
I leave mine in the car. Actually, I'm not much of a cell phone person. My AVERAGE cellphone bill has been $10 per month for several years. (I use prepaid.) I just use a few minutes per month.

wwinger

I hate ... peoples constant need to be in contact with one another ...

I agree. It used to be that when we left home we left the phone behind. If we had an answering machine it got checked when we got home.

I try to remember to silence mine when going into the lodge or leave it in the car.

The worst example I have seen of rude cell-phone behavior was the lodge secretary who, while sitting at the secretary's desk, answered and carried on a conversation with the caller DURING A DEGREE CONFERAL.

In one lodge I belong to, the Treasurer has raised a considerable amount of money for the lodge by fining members when their phone goes off during a meeting. Members of that lodge also are fond of calling the phones of other members who might have left their phone on during the meeting. It is quite rare now to hear a phone ring in that lodge. I don't think it is the amount of the fine, probably the embarrassment of being called out by the lodge treasurer, that has taught people to have cell-phone courtesy.

Benton

Premium Member
The worst example I have seen of rude cell-phone behavior was the lodge secretary who, while sitting at the secretary's desk, answered and carried on a conversation with the caller DURING A DEGREE CONFERAL.

Why was there a phone in the lodge anyway? The ringing itself would be rude during a degree conferral, in my opinion. We have a phone in our lodge's office, but not in the lodge itself.