My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What else should I be doing as an EA?

grayflannelsuit

Premium Member
I am currently preparing for my EA degree, coming up in less than 2 weeks. As far as the material I'm expected to memorize and read, I'm pretty much already prepared (I work on it every day). But I'm wondering what else there is that I can or should be doing during my last several days as an Entered Apprentice. I guess I just want to make sure I'm getting the most out of all my time spent in the three degrees (and perhaps one day degrees in either the York or Scottish Rite).

Should I be studying other material? Reading any books?

(I should note that due to life circumstances I now live about an hour away from my lodge, so popping in any old night to talk to my brothers is not always feasible for me.)

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Are you already initiated? Cause the way u worded that made it sound like you were going to be initiated but also that you already were....anyway NO there isnt anything you should be reading either as an EA or a soon to be one. Good luck

Sent from my LG-H811 using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

grayflannelsuit

Premium Member
Thanks! Yes, I was initiated at the end of July, but I believe the way it works in NJ is that you receive the degree then take an examination for the degree at a later date.

Bloke

Premium Member
I am currently preparing for my EA degree, coming up in less than 2 weeks. As far as the material I'm expected to memorize and read, I'm pretty much already prepared (I work on it every day). But I'm wondering what else there is that I can or should be doing during my last several days as an Entered Apprentice. I guess I just want to make sure I'm getting the most out of all my time spent in the three degrees (and perhaps one day degrees in either the York or Scottish Rite).

(I should note that due to life circumstances I now live about an hour away from my lodge, so popping in any old night to talk to my brothers is not always feasible for me.)

I'm still an Entered Apprentice :)

The best time to start researching is as a MM - so you can separate fact from the BS.... or evaluate ideas from your own educated perspective... Trust me, you should still be contemplating each degree for many years to come; in isolation but also as a sum of a whole.

Every success with your proficiency and keep revising once delivered; you will need it for future understanding and to teach.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Yes you have to prove your profeciency but you are an EA. As soon as you were complete with the obligation you were an EA
jd is right. If you have went through the ritual and taken the obligation you are already a EA. For now just concentrate on you memorization work. Your mentor will be your guide along the way to Master Mason. Follow his advise and you will be fine.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member

If you want to better understand what you're asked to memorize and why, you might get a copy of Building Boaz. It was written for EAs.

Here's a review: http://freemasoninformation.com/2015/12/building-boaz/

Yes, I am the author.

Building-Boaz.jpg

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
You should check with the members of your lodge but, in most jurisdictions, an EA or FC cannot use the symbols (your avatar) of the craft until they are raised.
Same in my jurisdiction. You can only wear or use the symbols once you go through the MM degree.

Bloke

Premium Member
You should check with the members of your lodge but, in most jurisdictions, an EA or FC cannot use the symbols (your avatar) of the craft until they are raised.

Not so in any Australian Jurisdiction that I am aware of...EAs are encouraged to wear the S&Q we present them on initiation

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Didn't pay close attention to it. I would still ask the brothers of your lodge first. They may not have a problem with it. Different jurisdictions handle this in different ways.
Very true. What's true in one jurisdiction is not necessarily true in another.