My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is Freemasonry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member

Freemasonry is the oldest and largest world wide fraternity dedicated to the Brotherhood of Man under the Fatherhood of a Supreme Being. Although of a religious nature, Freemasonry is not a religion. It urges its members, however, to be faithful and devoted to their own religious beliefs.

The organization of Freemasonry is based on a system of Grand Lodges, each sovereign within its own territory. There is no central authority governing all Grand Lodges. However to be acknowledged by others, acceptable traditions, standards and practices must be maintained. In the state of Texas, the governing body is called the Grand Lodge of Texas, AF & AM.

As a fraternity, Freemasonry provides an opportunity for men to meet and enjoy friendly companionship. In the spirit of helpfulness and brotherly love and guided by strict moral principles it encourages goodwill toward all mankind. Freemasonry is of a personal nature and private in its ceremonies. The tools of the operative masons are used to symbolize and teach the basic principles of brotherly love, charity, and truth which Masons are encouraged to practice in their daily lives.

Freemasonry is not a secret society. Its aims, principles, constitutions and rules are available to the public and its members are a perfect liberty to acknowledge their membership. The only secrets in Freemasonry are the traditional modes of recognition.

A Freemason is taught that his prime duties are to his God, to the laws of the country in which he lives and works, and to his family. Any attempt to use his membership to promote his own or anyone else's business, profession or personal interests, and any attempt to shield a Freemason who as acted dishonorable or unlawfully , is contrary to the conditions on which he seeks admission.

By following the three Great principles of Brotherly Love, Relief and Truth a Freemason hopes to show tolerance and respect for the opinions of others; to practice charity within the community as a whole both by charitable giving and voluntary efforts; and to strive to attain truth and high moral standards in his own life.

D. Bruce Banner

Please pardon my ignorance, however, I would like to gain an understanding of the differences (aside from titles/types of degrees) between various Masonic bodies. Why Scottish Rite vs York Rite? Why not Prince Hall? What is the interactive tone between the three? I am aware of the racist overtones that exist toward Prince Hall masonry, but that is an unfortunate bi-product of our country attributed to certain lodges and not necessarily the views of all lodges.
Also, is there any significance as it pertains to AF&AM versus F&AM? These are a lot of questions, and I apologize if this is not the appropriate forum to present them. I look forward to your reply. Thank you for your time and kind consideration.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Please pardon my ignorance, however, I would like to gain an understanding of the differences (aside from titles/types of degrees) between various Masonic bodies. Why Scottish Rite vs York Rite? Why not Prince Hall? What is the interactive tone between the three? I am aware of the racist overtones that exist toward Prince Hall masonry, but that is an unfortunate bi-product of our country attributed to certain lodges and not necessarily the views of all lodges.
Also, is there any significance as it pertains to AF&AM versus F&AM? These are a lot of questions, and I apologize if this is not the appropriate forum to present them. I look forward to your reply. Thank you for your time and kind consideration.
<sigh>... use the search thingy and report back to us what you find.

D. Bruce Banner

Your disdain is rather unnecessary. If you were unable to ascertain that I have already researched then the purpose of my post went over your head. I am merely interested in hearing your views on my inquiries. If you are incapable of doing so, then allow one who is. Thanks.

Last edited:

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Your disdain is rather unnecessary. If you were unable to ascertain that I have already researched then the purpose of my post went over your head. I am merely interested in hearing your views on my inquiries. If you are incapable of doing so, then allow one who is. Thanks.
Had you used the word "dismay" rather than "disdain", you would have groked me.

If you don't care to report your findings, oh well. The topic questions you have put forth have already been run into the ground and then some. Your findings won't make a dent in what has already been put forth though, but have at it.

BTW - Your two posts indicate conflicting information. Perhaps this went over your head.

Are you merely feigning ignorance for posting purposes?

Elexir

York rite and Scottish rite are high degree system that you can join after getting your third degree.
Prince Hall in essence gives just the first three degrees.
Look around in the forums and you can ask more specific questions.

D. Bruce Banner

If you don't care to report your findings, oh well. The topic questions you have put forth have already been run into the ground and then some. Your findings won't make a dent in what has already been put forth though, but have at it.

BTW - Your two posts indicate conflicting information. Perhaps this went over your head.

If you are any indication of masonry, then it is a true disappointment. 1. Please, if you are going to engage me with grammatical banter, know the difference between dismay and disdain; 2. I did not state nor imply that my questions were new, so your conjecture if off base. 3. As for my two posts being contradictory, you make no sense. My first post present several questions, my second does not. If you are annoyed or offended by my original post, the adult thing would be simply to not engage. Going back to point #2: my objective was not to post a question that was new. I have read varying opinions. I happened to come across this site and figured to post an inquiry. I am not looking for some meaningless debate or to prove my intellectual prowess over you. If you are not interested in answering, kindly bow out. Best regards.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
If you are any indication of masonry, then it is a true disappointment.
While you're obviously displaying agitation toward me and my initial response, try to extract your head far enough into the light that was offered. Had you followed good orderly direction and used the search function provided for your use, you would have discovered multitudes of comments and threads that address your questions ad nausea. If you genuinely desired to get the responses you claim that you seek, you would have found them had you merely did the work required.

And you could have asked your questions on those threads, rather than hijack this one inappropriately.

But even if you didn't get what you wanted from those other threads, you could have started your own instead of hijack this one.

You ask forgiveness for your ignorance. You got it. Please do not take an arrogant stance and believe you're important enough to step in, expect the rules of the room to change just because you showed up and be insulted when the directions you're given don't match what you think responses should be.

Last edited:

Majid199

Iam just disappointed i cant finding freemason in my country if i can travel to join iwill travel iam just wanaa be part of this ilove freemason

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

BullDozer Harrell

York rite and Scottish rite are high degree system that you can join after getting your third degree.
Prince Hall in essence gives just the first three degrees.
Look around in the forums and you can ask more specific questions.
You're giving out wrong information. Prince Hall organizations are not limited to just the Craft degrees.

There's PHA York & Scottish Rite bodies as well.

Android OS Nougat 7.0

Elexir

Its a Masonic rite wich connects high degrees directly to our "craft". The rituals has its orgins in 1700:s in Europe and departs a bit in symbols and officers (the last I have created a thread about in the Swedish rite category). We are also still secretive regarding ritual as our rituals have not been exposed in the same manner). Aditional questions is easier to ask in https://www.myfreemasonry.com/forums/the-swedish-rite.431/

SimonM

No problem. Are you the Brother that practices the Swedish Rite? If so, i think that's awesome. Maybe you could enlighten me about it?

Totally in the dark.

Android OS Nougat 7.0

I believe it is only @Elexir and myself here on the forum that practices the Swedish rite. Ive progressed a bit further than he have, but on the other hand he is much better grasp of (Swedish) masonic laws and regulations than I have :)

Bro MBGellner RAM; 32nd

It is easy to become obsessed with a billion explanations of our symbols. The craftsman should reflect on his teachings and works. The deeper meanings will occur to you more over time and with practiced reflection.

In the end, we are but a copy made in an image. And our teachings are to practice this image. It is a sacred truth that if you are a copy; then the one true form exists. We are rough longing to be perfect and by the symbolism of the dialogue the allegory teachings are a prophecy to us that the perfect one does exist.

God is at its center
And we are God's followers.
God calls us a priesthood.
We are the priests.
We have chosen a side because we choose light. Light is good. And there is no darkness in God.

Status
Not open for further replies.