My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What issues are important to you?

What is the most important issue the Grand Lodge of Texas should address?

• Our declining membership

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Extend visitation with Prince Hall

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Improve/Update Masonic Education

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • Be more transparent

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Crack down on bigotry and racism

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Fiscal responsibility

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • Publish a GL cipher book

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
All hinges on our declining membership, the rest will work themselves out.

Our declining membership is really a bit misleading. Yes, we are losing more members then we are bringing in, but we are bringing in more dues paying members then losing dues paying members. The majority of the members we are losing are either exempt from dues or are endowed. So by the fiscal numbers we are really gaining despite member numbers losing.

MacFie

But it's still declining. Some of the smaller lodges in the area here who split apart originaly because there were too many members, are now having to work together. Working together is always good of course, but having more brothers out at each lodge would be great imo.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
But it's still declining. Some of the smaller lodges in the area here who split apart originaly because there were too many members, are now having to work together. Working together is always good of course, but having more brothers out at each lodge would be great imo.

True. A lot of Lodges are choosing ploy-membership to help out some of these Lodges. Others are shrinking because they've been in cruise control for so long and haven't tried to gain new members. But to me, membership is more of an issue on the Lodge level rather then the GL level.

MacFie

Yeah it'd be hard for me to guess at how the GL could help out in such a situation...would be interesting what ideas other lodges could give each other maybe.

MacFie

Yes most definitely. My mentor and I have spoken several times about getting more active in our area, even if it's small things.

BillyWaltmon

It is my opinion that all of these issues would be taken care of with education. Therefore; more or better education on all of these issues and others would be the best issues for the Grand Lodge of Texas to focus on this upcoming year. SMIB

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
Take a look at the Grand Lodge of California's website and that would be a start for what the Grand West could do to help both membership and education. One major component to almost everyones life is the virtual community especially the men curious of Masonry so why are we not in the virtual community where all the possible candidates are? We have 28 lodge in Tarrant County alone and 1 maybe 2 have good websites. To me, a lodge today without a premium website is the same as a lodge not having a phone in the 1960.

AhimanBeard

definetly 'Crack down on bigotry and racism'
there were some brethren out on the street in front of the temple using some questionable (derogatory) language that doesn't shine a nice light on masons for anyone who was passing by.

I knew not all of it was serious, perhaps mostly ignorant. But it was frustrating and, though I don't mind if they do that in privacy, but when at a temple dressed up, it's quite inappropriate.

D

DavidM

Impotant issues to me?

I am finding it harderd and harder as days go by to find a fraternity in my area. I thought 2b1ask1?? Ive been asking simple questions that i feel deserve rescpectable answers. So is there anybody that can point me in the right direction as to where or whom i would to talk to someone? Thank you for your time in reading this. Have a good day.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
Impotant issues to me?

I am finding it harderd and harder as days go by to find a fraternity in my area. I thought 2b1ask1?? Ive been asking simple questions that i feel deserve rescpectable answers. So is there anybody that can point me in the right direction as to where or whom i would to talk to someone? Thank you for your time in reading this. Have a good day.

I sent you a PM about this check your personal message.

cmcminn

In the beginning we are taught the ancient signs,symbols and work of Freemasonry. Through the eyes of a child we are brought from the darkness to be taken and shown light upon our paths. However throughout a mans journey within the passages of FM he can be still lost in the darkness. These men that stand before us are stones not carved but still rough and without foundation. Men who will eventually fall without the guidance of fellow Bretheren lighting their path .
As an FM you can learn what all and everything means but learning and knowing are two different things. We as Freemasons should not be caught so much on what we hear but by what we actually learn from the craft. The work is there for us to pass on to the future as a guide to let masonry give each person what they need from masonry. A wise Master Mason told me at one time 'Masonry gives each one of us a different piece of what we need for ourselves and builds our brotherhood on the lessons each of us has learned". Have we forgotten that true honor before us? The honor that has tied us together the honor of being a BROTHER
guide the Bretheren and bring them completely out of the dark this is what will bring change and initiate true brotherhood and keep making Good men better.