My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What would you like to see changed in the Masonic experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cemab4y

Premium Member
Each GL of which I am aware already does declare a Mason's rights. In Utah, it includes the right to object to a visitor. It appears you wish to abrogate the right of the brethren. That is in derogation of their rights, not in support of their rights.

Further, for a WM to have the final say in who visits a Lodge is contrary to Utah Masonic law and, again, is in derogation of the rights of the breh.thren.

There is also a certain arrogance in declaring what one thinks best for another jurisdiction.
------------

If you think that each GL in the USA declares a Mason's rights, then you are wrong, wrong, wrong. There are GL's all overt the USA, which regularly abuse the membership. The outrageous actions of the GL of Arkansas, are one of the most egregious examples. The MWPHGL of Arkansas designed an official Masonic license plate and it was approved by the Arkansas Dept of Motor Vehicles. All it says is "Freemason". Without any proper authority, the GL of Arkansas, declared that any Arkansas Mason which purchased and displayed this license plate would be expelled from Masonry.

The GM of the GL of Texas, illegally and without authority, shut down the "Widow's Sons" motorcycle club of Texas. When asked why he closed the club, he replied "Because I can".

and over and over again.

I am not an expert on the regulations of the GL of Utah. In KY, where I am a member, any Mason can object to a visitor, if there is reasonable cause that the visitor may not be a MM in good standing. Of course, all Masons should be on guard to ensure that all present are MM's in good standing. The tyler is charged with this responsibility, but all MMs share it.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
------------

If you think that each GL in the USA declares a Mason's rights, then you are wrong, wrong, wrong. There are GL's all overt the USA, which regularly abuse the membership.

I am not an expert on the regulations of the GL of Utah. In KY, where I am a member, any Mason can object to a visitor, if there is reasonable cause that the visitor may not be a MM in good standing. Of course, all Masons should be on guard to ensure that all present are MM's in good standing. The tyler is charged with this responsibility, but all MMs share it.

Two different concepts: declaring rights in the Jurisdiction's documents and complying with those rights. The United States has a Bill of Rights, and yet those rights are at times violated. Two different issues. Please identify which jurisdictions do not declare rights in their laws.

In Utah, Section 3-9-1 states: A Master Mason in good standing may be extended the privilege to visit any Lodge in this Jurisdiction, subject to the right of any member to object to his admission as a visitor.

dfreybur

Premium Member
... any Mason can object to a visitor ...

That's why it can't be a right. Every brother has the right to attend his own lodge. No other member may object. That's why the ballot should be unanimous. Every brother has the privilege to attend other lodges. A member there is allowed to object.

It blows to be the WM when you have to approach a brother at the tiler's door and tell him he may not attend because a member objects. It blows even when the reason is known to all and not objectionable. Consider a destitute brother. The lodge arranged transportation to his lodge so they can take care of him. Instead of going home he becomes a hanger-on locally. Several months later he can wear out his welcome if there's more to the story than that, but that part of the story is a valid reason.

cemab4y

Premium Member
That's why it can't be a right. Every brother has the right to attend his own lodge. No other member may object. That's why the ballot should be unanimous. Every brother has the privilege to attend other lodges. A member there is allowed to object.

It blows to be the WM when you have to approach a brother at the tiler's door and tell him he may not attend because a member objects. It blows even when the reason is known to all and not objectionable. Consider a destitute brother. The lodge arranged transportation to his lodge so they can take care of him. Instead of going home he becomes a hanger-on locally. Several months later he can wear out his welcome if there's more to the story than that, but that part of the story is a valid reason.

You are not stating the entirety of my comment. I said quote - any Mason can object to a visitor, if there is reasonable cause that the visitor may not be a MM in good standing.- end quote.

If a Mason is attending a lodge, and he has a reasonable cause to believe that a man attempting to visit the lodge is not a MM in good standing, then he has the duty to stand up and object. No mason can exclude a visitor, without just cause. Although the Tyler is charged with warding off all cowans and eavesdroppers, and the WM has the final say on who can visit his lodge, ALL masons assembled must be satisfied that all attendees, whether members of the lodge, or visitors, are true and lawful brother MMs in good standing. So mote it be.

cemab4y

Premium Member
“I am not an advocate for frequent changes in laws and Constitutions. But laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths discovered and manners and opinions change, with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also to keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors.”
Thomas Jefferson

This statement could easily apply to Freemasonry.

cemab4y

Premium Member
I have been a Mason for 33 years, and yesterday I heard something that I have never heard before. I heard a radio announcement (WNEW Baltimore MD), and the ad was sponsored by the Grand Lodge of Maryland. The ad was a promo for Freemasonry, and it went on to say that many famous men were Masons, and that YOU should consider membership. The ad mentioned the GL of Maryland website:

http://www.askamarylandmason.com

I think this is terrific! I hope that other Grand Lodges follow their example!

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
You are not stating the entirety of my comment. I said quote - any Mason can object to a visitor, if there is reasonable cause that the visitor may not be a MM in good standing.- end quote.

If a Mason is attending a lodge, and he has a reasonable cause to believe that a man attempting to visit the lodge is not a MM in good standing, then he has the duty to stand up and object. No mason can exclude a visitor, without just cause. Although the Tyler is charged with warding off all cowans and eavesdroppers, and the WM has the final say on who can visit his lodge, ALL masons assembled must be satisfied that all attendees, whether members of the lodge, or visitors, are true and lawful brother MMs in good standing. So mote it be.

Or, in some jurisdictions, for no cause, as it is not a right of a Mason in good standing to visit in some jurisdictions.​

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
It has always struck me as peculiar that Grand Lodges have not set up working groups to go in search of the genuine secrets.

How can an institution exist forever waiting for some future day that may restore its core knowledge?

Surely there will be a generation that will say: We have waited long enough! Perhaps this is that generation.
You mean that there truly are actual genuine secrets, missing core knowledge and actual interest?

pointwithinacircle2

Rapscallion
Premium Member
James and John are having a discussion, an example of the Hermetic principle of polarity if there ever was one. I shouldn't reply to this thread, but I just can't stop myself. First James said:
How can an institution exist forever waiting for some future day that may restore its core knowledge?
Well, there is this one huge institution that promises that it will reveal all knowledge to you after you are dead, and they seem to be doing OK. (I guess the secret that I am going to hell was revealed pretty well by that comment)

And then John says:
You mean that there truly are actual genuine secrets, missing core knowledge and actual interest?
Well, If you consider Masonry to be, at the very least, a classroom for character building or, at the very most, a pathway to spiritual enlightenment then, yes, the core knowledge seems to be missing from the Lodgeroom.

Yes, the symbols are there. But basic communication theory teaches us that a symbol is not the thing it symbolizes. Most Masons can give you a quote when asked about a specific symbol, but how many can tell you what it means in their own words? As for actual interest in the above, well, look for the dis-satisfied Masons, they seem to be the ones who are actually interested.

Well that's enough irritating people and making enemies for one morning, time to get a second cup of coffee.

crono782

Premium Member
I think it's entirely truth that many of the original meanings of our teachings have been lost to time. I really like the quote cemab4y uses above. Though out symbols remain static and the spirit behind them, the nuances of the meaning need not necessarily remain constants. I think it's entirely plausible for the symbolism to evolve depending on the ebb and flow of the state of man's spiritual awareness of the age.

dfreybur

Premium Member
The ad was a promo for Freemasonry, and it went on to say that many famous men were Masons, and that YOU should consider membership.

When I was in line the first time I tried to read as much as possible of the old GL publications in the secretary's office. In a dusty old box was a manual on advertizing for Masonry with photo ready artwork that could be pasted into newspaper ads. The box was several decades old.

Plus sa change, plus sa meme chose.

cemab4y

Premium Member
Most Grand Lodges either forbid any advertising or open solicitation of new members. I have been told, by men I respect, that The GL of Kentucky "doesn't like" the "2 B 1 ASK1" bumper sticker, and it should not be used. I believe that openly advertising on radio (and other media), is a major development (at least in some jurisdictions). I see you list three states, TX,IL,CA. Do any of these states permit open recruiting and advertising?

Last edited:

AndreAshlar

Older brothers who aren't willing to impart their masonic knowledge on newer brothers in the Craft. Seemingly in an effort to circumvent a loss of " power" within the fraternity.

dfreybur

Premium Member
I see you list three states, TX,IL,CA. Do any of these states permit open recruiting and advertising?

In California the rules allow general purpose advertizing but not recruiting. The material was old and I think very few members are aware that it's allowed. Long ago California copied Pennsylvania's "Friend to Friend" program but nothing ever seemed to come of it.

In Illinois there is the "Invitation to Petition" program that was copied from another jurisdiction. So it appears they we allow recruiting in limited circumstances. When I read the rules for Invitation to Petition it was so involved I wondered if anyone would ever jump through all of those hoops. I have no idea about advertizing by individual lodges but the GL has a small ongoing PR program with a few informational billboard visible from interstate highways.

In Texas I haven't been here long enough to learn those topics yet.

pointwithinacircle2

Rapscallion
Premium Member
My two jurisdictions, Maryland and Michigan, both have Masonic infomercials on the radio that run during Orioles and Tigers games respectively. When I was in Lakeland, FL last year I went to a couple of Tigers spring training games. The was a sign on the concession stands with the square and compasses announcing the name and number of the local Lodge that ran them.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Im going to find out what the Grand Lodge in Kentucky says about this. It sounds like a good way to remind people of our existence.

cemab4y

Premium Member
Please let me clarify: I have been told by men I respect, that the GL of KY, "doesn't approve" of the sticker. While I believe that there is no specific rule against this sticker, the GL leadership does not like this sticker, and many consider it to be "advertising", which is prohibited by GL of KY rules.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Most Grand Lodges either forbid any advertising or open solicitation of new members. I have been told, by men I respect, that The GL of Kentucky "doesn't like" the "2 B 1 ASK1" bumper sticker, and it should not be used. I believe that openly advertising on radio (and other media), is a major development (at least in some jurisdictions). I see you list three states, TX,IL,CA. Do any of these states permit open recruiting and advertising?
They do? Citation?

Status
Not open for further replies.