My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the deal

firefighter1

I'm petitioning to. A Prince Hall Lodge in Nashville and my brother is a St. John's Mason from Chicago.. Anyway he wanted to join the lodge so he could be apart of my process and I noticed some discord between the two affiliations. My brother is wanting to be "healed" but he says that they never deal with each other and he can't participate in any kind of lodge functions. I thought a Mason was a Mason. He likes the Prince Hall "branch" better he says, now that he knows some but in Chicago at his old lodge they always had an attitude of we don't associate with PH because they think they're better than everybody else. But I've heard PH say that about other affiliates also. So again, I thought a MM was a MM period!

Freemason Connect HD

crono782

Premium Member
Let me see if I can make sense of this. When you say "St. John" Mason, do you mean a mason under the Grand Lodge of Illinois or something else? The term you use "healed" is often applied when discussing a mason who is a member of an irregular lodge wanting to move over to a regular one and is thus "healed" in transition. I'm not sure what the status of recognition/visitation is in Illinois (no visitation would bar your friend from participating or attending a PHA lodge if he were under the auspices of the GLoIL, but again the term "healed" is throwing me off here. In reality, a MM is and at the same time isn't always a MM. Especially since any group of men can call themselves masons and call themselves MMs for any reason they want.

Mod note: also, moved this thread to general discussion.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Bro Daniel,

Illinois has full PHA recognition - Visitation and dual affiliation are both allowed. The grand lines attend each others' sessions and group visitations both ways are routine.

http://bessel.org/masrec/phablanket.htm

Bro FF1,

There are plenty of clandestine organizations out there that claim to be Masons. Many of those organizations were founded by expelled former Masons others started with a corporate charter from its state. Valid lineage is needed.

http://thephylaxis.org/bogus/bogus_il.php

Look for "File Number 09060359"

Valid lodges need to have a linage to the founders of modern Masonry so any lodge will charter with a grand lodge that can demonstrate that lineage. St Johns GL can't and is thus not a valid jurisdiction. They have been in business for over a century and I take it their lodges are forces for good in their communities.

Have you ever been on a low carb diet? You may have eaten a recipe called "faux-tatoes" made from mashed cauliflower. It's a delicious dish but if you expect actual mashed potatoes its not the same thing.

M.Prejean

Have you ever been on a low carb diet? You may have eaten a recipe called "faux-tatoes" made from mashed cauliflower. It's a delicious dish but if you expect actual mashed potatoes its not the same thing.

:laugh: Funny truth!!!

bupton52

Premium Member
I'm petitioning to. A Prince Hall Lodge in Nashville and my brother is a St. John's Mason from Chicago.. Anyway he wanted to join the lodge so he could be apart of my process and I noticed some discord between the two affiliations. My brother is wanting to be "healed" but he says that they never deal with each other and he can't participate in any kind of lodge functions. I thought a Mason was a Mason. He likes the Prince Hall "branch" better he says, now that he knows some but in Chicago at his old lodge they always had an attitude of we don't associate with PH because they think they're better than everybody else. But I've heard PH say that about other affiliates also. So again, I thought a MM was a MM period!

Freemason Connect HD

I can have someone from the MWPHGLoIL contact your friend. I surely don't want him to get lost in the sea of clandestine organizations up there. They are worse than they are down here in Houston.

firefighter1

I didn't know it was people claiming to be Masons out there. And he's wanting to join a PH lodge in Nashville now but said he would have to go through a healing process that he doesn't even know what it consist of lol. But they want him to go through that before I start my EA so he could be apart of my process. I just want to make sure I'm not petitioning for one of those unrecognized lodges someone started after being expelled. When I sent my background check on the MWPHGL of TN website it asked what lodge I was petitioning for, if it wasn't recognized they would have told me right?? These brothers seem legit I went to an installment dinner last week and it was really cool.

Freemason Connect HD

dfreybur

Premium Member
The healing process is intended to switch a clandestine to regular Mason, but it's used for more broadly than that.

After I moved to Texas until I reached the time limit I visited a MWPHAGLofTX lodge. I'm a California Mason. There's recognition with visitation between the two jurisdictions. My PHA brothers invited me to affiliate and pointed out they'd put me through a healing ceremony because while I'm as mainstream as they are I'm not Prince Hall. Being a regular mason the idea of a healing ceremony sounds fun to me. I'd go in a regular and recognized Mason. I'd go out a regular and recognized Mason. I get that a clandestine Mason might not view the prospect as "fun" as I do.