My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When do you wear your Master Masons Ring?

When do you wear your Master Masons Ring?

• All the time

Votes: 74 72.5%
  • After work

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Only to a Lodge

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Only on special ocassions

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Don't own one

Votes: 11 10.8%
  • Other

Votes: 6 5.9%

• Total voters

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
Question : I've noticed many brothers wear there Scottish Rite ring on their wedding finger, why is that ?

Sent from my 831C using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
I've never seen it any other way, except for my platoon SGT. The day I saw him wear his Scottish Rite ring, he had removed his Masonic ring and wore his 32 ring on the same finger. I've always seen guys wear both. Masonic ring on right hand and Scottish rite ring on left.

dfreybur

Premium Member
I've never seen it any other way, except for my platoon SGT. The day I saw him wear his Scottish Rite ring, he had removed his Masonic ring and wore his 32 ring on the same finger. I've always seen guys wear both. Masonic ring on right hand and Scottish rite ring on left.

Interesting jurisdictional difference. Until I got my second PM ring (different state, slightly different symbol) I had cycled among my MM, SR and PM rings.

I've never seen, or likely never noticed, any brother wearing his ring on the left hand.

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
I will say I have seen both PH and GL brothers both wear it like that. I always try and see if it's it's a one sided tradition or both. So many brothers think it's a big difference, but they would be surprised how close both groups mirror each other.

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
What I have seen worn a lot of is the 14 degree ring of the Scottish Rite. I wonder why brothers wear this ring more than the 32.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
What I have seen worn a lot of is the 14 degree ring of the Scottish Rite. I wonder why brothers wear this ring more than the 32.

Don't know but, from what I understand, this ring and that of the 33rd degree are to only rings that the AASR officially recognize.

MarkR

Premium Member
Don't know but, from what I understand, this ring and that of the 33rd degree are to only rings that the AASR officially recognize.
You are correct. From the statutes of the Scottish Rite (SJ):
12651009_10204276090977443_3070008887683793373_n.jpg

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
Okay so in other words, brothers wear the 14 degree ring because they are not a 33 degree mason and don't have any other option. So if these two are the only ones authorized, why do brothers wear the 32 degree ring ?

c8863a28bf9fc3a7d72e000cc8e7912c.jpg

Last edited:

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
This has me interested now. Come to think about it, I've never saw a PHA mason wear the 14th degree ring. Is it just a custom of GL or does the rules in which you posted govern all regular valleys ?

Last edited:

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Okay so in other words, brothers wear the 14 degree ring because they are not a 33 degree mason and don't have any other option. So if these two are the only ones authorized authorized, why do brothers wear the 32 degree ring with the eagles ?

c8863a28bf9fc3a7d72e000cc8e7912c.jpg
A Scottish Rite Mason may wear whatever type of ring that he wants to wear. It's just that the AASR only officially recognizes the rings of the 14th degree and the 33rd degree.

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
When can a Scottish Rite mason allowed to wear his ring, after the 14th degree or when he completes the 32 ?

Last edited:

dfreybur

Premium Member
I see plenty of Brothers wearing Shrine rings. I do get the point in a specific way - Brothers I've seen wearing a Shrine ring often switch to their MM ring when attending craft lodge meetings. I attend vastly more blue lodge events than Shrine events so I end up noticing this.

When I petitioned SR on the form was an option to get a 14th degree ring. Clearly its easy to get and officially supported. I chose to get a 32nd degree ring with the double eagle because it's better known and I found a nice one on eBay.

It being a 14th degree ring I take it an SR brother can wear it once he's been obligated on the 14th degree. I did the degrees as a two weekend class and it took longer than that for the 14th degree to arrive so in my case it would not have mattered. I have since attended reunions that completed in a single weekend so that further reduces the chances of being able to wear one in the middle of doing the SR degrees.

I don't think I know any Brothers who split their SR degrees out enough to have time to receive a 14th degree ring before they made it all the way through. I've read that European jurisdictions still do individual degrees so it can take them years, but the US jurisdictions switched to classes going on a century ago.

The fact that SR classes work has helped my drop my objections to craft degree classes. I vastly prefer candidates to go through EE/FC/MM with plenty of time between them, but I've already been through my degrees. Since then the degrees have been about the new candidates not about me. We say we make good men better. That one was a serious mental stretch to pull off!

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
I see plenty of Brothers wearing Shrine rings. I do get the point in a specific way - Brothers I've seen wearing a Shrine ring often switch to their MM ring when attending craft lodge meetings. I attend vastly more blue lodge events than Shrine events so I end up noticing this.

When I petitioned SR on the form was an option to get a 14th degree ring. Clearly its easy to get and officially supported. I chose to get a 32nd degree ring with the double eagle because it's better known and I found a nice one on eBay.

It being a 14th degree ring I take it an SR brother can wear it once he's been obligated on the 14th degree. I did the degrees as a two weekend class and it took longer than that for the 14th degree to arrive so in my case it would not have mattered. I have since attended reunions that completed in a single weekend so that further reduces the chances of being able to wear one in the middle of doing the SR degrees.

I don't think I know any Brothers who split their SR degrees out enough to have time to receive a 14th degree ring before they made it all the way through. I've read that European jurisdictions still do individual degrees so it can take them years, but the US jurisdictions switched to classes going on a century ago.

The fact that SR classes work has helped my drop my objections to craft degree classes. I vastly prefer candidates to go through EE/FC/MM with plenty of time between them, but I've already been through my degrees. Since then the degrees have been about the new candidates not about me. We say we make good men better. That one was a serious mental stretch to pull off!
Thank you for enlightening me brother

MarkR

Premium Member
You do now. My valley (Rochester Minnesota) doesn't do "reunions." We confer the degrees over ten months, from September through June, each year. We even have a little ceremony to present the 14° rings to those who ordered one when they petitioned at the start of the year. For example, this year they got the 14° in December, and have their rings (and the right to vote on business matters, since all business of the Valley is conducted in the Lodge of Perfection) for six months before getting the 32° in June.

In the Southern Jurisdiction (yes, Minnesota is Southern Jurisdiction) the official position on 32° rings is that they have no problem with members wearing them, they just aren't recognized as "official," so there is no standardization.

I have no knowledge of the ring rules of the Northern Masonic Jurisdiction, nor of PHA Scottish Rite.