My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where does Texas stand, on having jurisdiction over transient masons?

cemab4y

Premium Member
I hold membership in two(2) lodges, Massachusetts and Kentucky. If I were to move to Texas, and buy a house, and take up residence there, but not join a Texas lodge, what "jurisdiction" would the GL of TX have over me?

Of course, I would respect the rules, by-laws, and practices of Texas Masonry. I would visit Texas lodges, and fellowship.

But if I violated a Tx rule, or a Ky rule, or a Massachusetts rule, what would the GL of TX do? Reprimand me? Or would they expel me from Masonry? How could the GL of Tx expel me from Texas Masonry, when I did not belong to a Texas lodge. Would the GL of Texas request that the GL of KY expel me from KY masonry?

You can easily get all over the map, with a problem like this.

How would it be worked out?

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
did you add a "under whose jurisdiction I may be" clause to your MM obligation?

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
Technically speaking just moving to Texas, but not joining or associating with a lodge here that was under the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of Texas, It wouldn't have any jurisdiction over you. Now if an event took place in a Texas Lodge, they would probably inform your GL in Mass or Ky, and depend on the seriousness of the charges make either a recommendation to your GL or inform your GL that you had lost your visitation rights in Texas.

Now if you violated a rule or law from your home GL, I don't think Texas would do anything if it wasn't also a violation in Texas as well. Chances are, if it wasn't a violation here, the GL of Texas might not even realize it is a violation.

But in a perfect world, the 2 GL's would open some sort of communication and reach a amicable solution...in a perfect world. It could end up like Ohio and West Viriginia cutting off relations due to a miscommunication/misunderstanding.

cemab4y

Premium Member
The phrasing (IN KY, where I became a MM), is something like :" And under the jurisdiction of I may come in the future". Now, this implies to me, that I would have to follow the rules/regulations of any Grand Lodge, that I may JOIN in the future. I became a Mason in KY. I took out dual membership in Mass. I am bound by oath, to follow the rules of these two (2) Grand Lodges, because I am a member of both. BUT-I am interested in what is done in the case of "transient" Masons. A Mason, who is residing (permanently or temporarily) in a state, or foreign country, where he is NOT a member of his state of residence.

He does not pay dues to that Grand Lodge, has no say in the policies of that Grand Lodge, and therefore is not subject to Masonic discipline, in that state.

What does Texas do in this situation? I find the topic fascinating.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
Texas doesn't recognize prince hall, but Grand Lodge of ____ might. If Texas recognizes Grand Lodge of ____, then I can go into lodge with a brother from prince hall in a Grand Lodge of _____ lodge. Why? because I'm in that jurisdiction and I follow their rules.

owls84

Premium Member
That is correct JTM. I take it that you are to obey the laws of which jurisdiction you are in not which one you took an oath to. This is part of the recognition agreement between the two Grand Lodges.

cemab4y

Premium Member
That is correct JTM. I take it that you are to obey the laws of which jurisdiction you are in not which one you took an oath to. This is part of the recognition agreement between the two Grand Lodges.

Excuse me? Are you saying that a Mason does not have to follow the regulations of the Grand Lodge, which he took an oath to? Even though I do not reside in Kentucky (My USA residence is in Virginia, and I am working a project in Afghanistan), I will follow the regulations of the Grand Lodge of Kentucky, and the regulations of my home lodge. When I am in Virginia, I respect the Grand Lodge of Virginia, and I follow their customs and practices, when I visit a Virginia lodge, but I do not consider myself bound by oath to follow the rules/constitution of the Grand Lodge of Virginia.

After all ,if I broke a Virginia rule, what could they do? Try me in a masonic court?. And if found guilty, what is the penalty? Reprimand, I would throw the letter in the trash. Suspension, but since I am not a VA Mason, I cannot be suspended from any Virginia lodge. Expulsion? Here again, how can I be expelled from Virginia Masonry, when I was never a Virginia Mason?

If the GL of VA informed the GL of KY, that I had violated some Virginia rule, Kentucky could say "So what?" this man did not violate a Kentucky rule, so we have no cause to bring him up on Masonic charges.

owls84

Premium Member
After all ,if I broke a Virginia rule, what could they do? Try me in a masonic court?. And if found guilty, what is the penalty? Reprimand, I would throw the letter in the trash. Suspension, but since I am not a VA Mason, I cannot be suspended from any Virginia lodge. Expulsion? Here again, how can I be expelled from Virginia Masonry, when I was never a Virginia Mason?

If the GL of VA informed the GL of KY, that I had violated some Virginia rule, Kentucky could say "So what?" this man did not violate a Kentucky rule, so we have no cause to bring him up on Masonic charges.

This is not the case. If you violate a law of the Grand Lodge of KY in KY they would send the charges to your home GL and your GL should try you or run the risk of loosing recognition from the GL of KY. This is the way it is written in our GL Law book and after speaking to a few people this is pretty much universal.

The question was where does Texas stand and this how it is handled. It is pretty cut and dry in our Law book. This is similar to the case of the PGM from WV that went to OH. See: http://freemasonsfordummies.blogspot.com/2010/04/more-on-west-virginia-and-ohio.html

Hippie19950

Premium Member
It's kind of like if you are licensed in Kentucky, and drive in Texas and get a ticket. You are "obligated" to pay that ticket. If you don't, Texas will contact Kentucky. If Kentucky is a member of the Violator Compact (which they are), they will make you pay the ticket, or refuse to renew your license at the least. Should they not, Then they have violated an agreement which they signed with other States to be somewhat uniform. The reverse between the States is the same.
Same with our Lodges and Grand Lodge. If you attend our Lodges, and violate the Masonic Law as set out, you can be told to not return to a specific Lodge, You can be reported to Grand Lodge in which case, they will probably contact BOTH the Grand Lodges in which you have membership under, and those Lodges if wanting to remain in good standing with Texas, will take actions to resolve the issue, which could result in a letter of reprimand, a suspension, or expulsion from Masonry entirely from BOTH the Grand Lodges, and also could prevent you from becoming a member in Texas, and possible other States.
Main thing, is to practice Freemasonry as it is set out to be done, and find out how things are done in "foreign lands" in which you travel.

LRG

Premium Member
You must first petition a Texas lodge, recognized by the grand lodge of Texas af & am. The only way to become a member of the gl of tx is by becoming a past master of a Texas lodge. So, even thou your under the jurisdiction of the gl of tx, your under the discipline of your blue lodge. Hope this helps.

Oops, I read your question wrong. Brother munsel said it well.

Last edited: