My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why does Freemasonry require a belief in God?

cemab4y

Premium Member
There are many good answers here. When the subject comes up, about Masonry excluding atheists, I respond:

"Atheists, exclude themselves from Masonry". The fraternity is about many things, but most importantly, it is about Man's relationship with his fellow man (I include women, in this context). I call this "horizontal", and a man's relationship with Deity, as vertical.

Masonry enables SOME men, to better understand his vertical relationship. Masonry can (and does) give its adherents the "working tools", to enhance their religious lives.

Masonry enable SOME men, to better relate to others (horizontal).

By embracing men from a whole "rainbow" of faiths, and religious traditions, we teach ourselves the blessing of religious liberty and religious pluralism.

( I feel very strongly about this, I have lived in a communist country, and an Islamic kingdom. Masonry is forbidden in these nations. Communism is officially atheist, and Saudi Arabia forbids ALL religions except Islam)

Our democratic nation is the result of many things, but most importantly the Masonic traditions.

"Democracy is the worst from of government, except for all the others"
=Winston Churchill, Freemason

Last edited:

NY.Light.II

There are many good answers here. When the subject comes up, about Masonry excluding atheists, I respond:

"Atheists, exclude themselves from Masonry". The fraternity is about many things, but most importantly, it is about Man's relationship with his fellow man (I include women, in this context). I call this "horizontal", and a man's relationship with Deity, as vertical.

Masonry enables SOME men, to better understand his vertical relationship. Masonry can (and does) give its adherents the "working tools", to enhance their religious lives.

Masonry enable SOME men, to better relate to others (horizontal).

By embracing men from a whole "rainbow" of faiths, and religious traditions, we teach ourselves the blessing of religious liberty and religious pluralism.

( I feel very strongly about this, I have lived in a communist country, and an Islamic kingdom. Masonry is forbidden in these nations. Communism is officially atheist, and Saudi Arabia forbids ALL religions except Islam)

Our democratic nation is the result of many things, but most importantly the Masonic traditions.

"Democracy is the worst from of government, except for all the others"
=Winston Churchill, Freemason

I think what the OP and others have been hinting at is whether the rainbow you describe is so expansive to include those of no religious tradition.

montkun

According to the Oaths and Obligations, I would say no to Atheists but yes to Agnostics. Though I think using the name God would create an internal conflict for an Agnostic.

NY.Light.II

While I am not accusing anyone here of this, there is a broader cultural fear of the term and state of "atheism" now, as was certainly the case during the time of the writing of Anderson's constitutions. This is a fear that should be extinguished in the modern age.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
After much searching, I have found that deep down, Freemasonry is about our relationship with the Supreme Being. Taking a journey whose destination holds no value to you is pointless. Not only would it waste the time of the person on the journey, it threatens to cheapen it for those who are truly interested.
This sounds good to me.

pointwithinacircle2

Rapscallion
Premium Member
I think what the OP and others have been hinting at is whether the rainbow you describe is so expansive to include those of no religious tradition.
Actually the OP (that's me) was thinking about how the psychology of the human mind is affected by the acceptance of the concept of God.
I am currently reading a book by the psychologist Carl Jung. It amazes me how often he will explain some complex psychological concept and then offer a quote from some story about god as an example. I use the phrase "some story about god" purposely because he does not limit his references to god to one religion. He seems to think that the stories, myths, and legends that men tell about god are reflections of our human nature. One of my favorite examples comes when he is explaining a particularly thorny psychological concept and then he says something like "That explains why Isis is both mother and wife to Horus". Wow, Egyptian Mythology explained as a PhD level class in human psychology. That's one I didn't see coming.

So, it seems possible that belief in god opens up new possibilities for understanding and working with one's self.

NY.Light.II

Actually the OP (that's me) was thinking about how the psychology of the human mind is affected by the acceptance of the concept of God.
I am currently reading a book by the psychologist Carl Jung. It amazes me how often he will explain some complex psychological concept and then offer a quote from some story about god as an example. I use the phrase "some story about god" purposely because he does not limit his references to god to one religion. He seems to think that the stories, myths, and legends that men tell about god are reflections of our human nature. One of my favorite examples comes when he is explaining a particularly thorny psychological concept and then he says something like "That explains why Isis is both mother and wife to Horus". Wow, Egyptian Mythology explained as a PhD level class in human psychology. That's one I didn't see coming.

So, it seems possible that belief in god opens up new possibilities for understanding and working with one's self.

According to that description (I am only topically familiar with Jung, and, by extension, to Freud), any story from any religion is an abstraction of the human psyche. Jung's philosophy, based on your description alone, is man-centered, not, as is the case in most revelatory religions(Judaism, Christianity, Islam, etc.) God-centered. I stand by my post as I do indeed think the conversation ha evolved in that direction, although I credit your critique. The question should stand alone. Is the rainbow of ecumenical acceptance (to continue the use of this metaphor) broad enough to account for those who have no faith tradition?

NY.Light.II

This is an interesting question. Is it possible for a man to recognise God without having been taught to do so? If that is possible then a faith tradition is not required.

Did Adam have a faith tradition?

While that is an interesting question, that's not quite what I was getting at. When I used the phrase I was referring to atheists.

hanzosbm

Premium Member
While that is an interesting question, that's not quite what I was getting at. When I used the phrase I was referring to atheists.
No.

Freemasonry isn't about acceptance. Everyone spouts that because it sounds good, but it's not the case. Freemasonry requires a belief in a Supreme Being and that's all the further it goes. That doesn't mean it is accepting of this religion and that religion, it means that those particular religions satisfy the requirement. Atheists do not.

It would be like saying that this particular restroom is accepting and welcoming to all religions and philosophical beliefs. It's a men's room. It doesn't matter what their beliefs are; only that they are men. Upon satisfying the requirement for entry, everything else is irrelevant. This is the same situation with Freemasonry. The Craft is not accepting of various religions, it simply does not care. As long as the man has a belief in a supreme being, he's good to go. Atheists do not. There is no ecumenical acceptance.

NY.Light.II

No.

Freemasonry isn't about acceptance. Everyone spouts that because it sounds good, but it's not the case. Freemasonry requires a belief in a Supreme Being and that's all the further it goes. That doesn't mean it is accepting of this religion and that religion, it means that those particular religions satisfy the requirement. Atheists do not.

It would be like saying that this particular restroom is accepting and welcoming to all religions and philosophical beliefs. It's a men's room. It doesn't matter what their beliefs are; only that they are men. Upon satisfying the requirement for entry, everything else is irrelevant. This is the same situation with Freemasonry. The Craft is not accepting of various religions, it simply does not care. As long as the man has a belief in a supreme being, he's good to go. Atheists do not. There is no ecumenical acceptance.

I do not mean to suggest that Freemasonry should lower its standard of admission, or to put in other words, abandon the west gate. I would argue that it may be possible to admit atheists on a moral grounds. Replace the bible for oaths with the Phaedo, the Nicomachean Ethics, Or some other appropriate godless ethicist text. Perhaps the bill of rights.

hanzosbm

Premium Member
I understand. I don't agree with the idea, but we are free to have different ideas.

As I put forth earlier, what is the purpose of giving a man the tools necessary to understanding his relationship with the Supreme Being if he doesn't believe in it to begin with?

NY.Light.II

Is it possible for an atheist to be a deist?

Are deists acceptable?

No. A deist is one who believes in a supernatural creative force. A theist believes in a supernatural creative force that is also a personal deity/ies (depending on your religion). An atheist rejects the a priori assumption of a supernatural creative force.

Many of the founding fathers, most notable Thomas Jefferson, were deists and believed in a firm separation of church and state (one of the great treasures of this constitutional republic).

Whether a deist could be a Freemason, I leave to the wisdom of the actual Masons here.