My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worshipful Master

Should Worshipful Masters hold a Certificate?

• Yes

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • No

Votes: 25 29.8%
  • Unsure

Votes: 12 14.3%

• Total voters

otherstar

I don't think officers should be required to know any more than be able to open and close the Lodge. Optimally, they should at least have a "C" certificate. Early in my masonic career, my home lodge had a WM who could do little more ritual than open and close (and he had his lapses at first), but he was a fine leader and had a very good year in the East. Being a good ritualist and a good leader are not related. I've known good leaders who were good ritualists, good leaders who were not good ritualists, bad leaders who were good ritualists, and bad leaders who were bad ritualists. I would classify being a ritualist as one of those "external qualifications" we hear about.

Mac

Premium Member
I agree with that sentiment. I've met plenty of men, ritualist and non, who couldn't lead their way out of a paper sack! Hopefully the head of your Lodge has a good mix of ritual ability and actual leadership, but if I had to pick one... I'd gladly prompt the good leader of men for a year rather than suffer through a bad year where our only achievement was not losing points on a graded visit. ;)

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
Sometimes I think that the one requirement that should be in place is that they want to be in a chair and care about doing the best job they can. We have one Brother that sits in a chair who doesn't really seem to care about much of anything other than making it to the East and moving on so he can be called Past Master. The sad thing is that I have as of yet voted for him to be in a chair. I think that someone who puts forth some effort and seems to truly want to be there should be filling the role.

As to the poll question, I think that it should be highly recommended to hold at least a "C" certificate, but I am cautious of requiring one.

Last edited:

jwhoff

Premium Member
Personally, I obtained one the year before and this year that I am in the East.

But can't say I remember anything in there about how to lead a group of men offering their time freely who don't always have the same opinions about everything but can only be considered good men doing their best. Don't remember anything about that in the certification.

Therefore, I agree, a C Cert is good but should not be required. I do think Grand Lodge got it right when they decided that officers setting at stations should know how to open and close the four lodges.