My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worshipful Master

Should Worshipful Masters hold a Certificate?

• Yes

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • No

Votes: 25 29.8%
  • Unsure

Votes: 12 14.3%

• Total voters

Gerald.Harris

Premium Member
Premium Member
Well there are a couple of question with this.. ! who has the wisdom of Solomon to dictate to ALL lodges in the state of Texas should be done..? there are a lot of small lodges who are just hanging on..? others in far west Texas that are miles for each other, traveling miles to install brethern.. ! what do you do when you get there with a crowd waiting for installation and you tell him he is not ready..? don't think so...? This is a big state with all different types of lodges.. ! think we should understand that we are ALL brethern and they will do whats best for Masonary.. !

The other part is the Committee on "hope and change" .. ! when you talking about opening and closing a lodge.. ! then why the Lodge of Sorrow..? something they sat around and made up.. ! was a mason for years and never opened a lodge of sorrow... ! our lodge open and closed every lodge the day of the service.. ! and this still can be done.. ! by the funeral master.. ! doesn't have to be done by the sitting master.. ! why the opening and closing of the EA and FC... ! something else they sat around made up.. if you can open a MM lodge and call off..? you don't have to open the EA or FC lodge by itself..?

NO ONE brother has the wisdom to do what is right for every lodge, BUT that is why the Grand Lodge is made up of thousands of brothers, just like you and me. We are all supposed to take a look at our brothers in the rural areas and the lodges in the metropolitan areas, and the lodges in-between. After we take a look , we are supposed to deliberate and try and come up with a system that is good for all of us.
I have traveled miles to install several brothers in the rural areas, and everyone I have installed could open and close all of the lodges.
As for the Lodge of Sorrow, I have conducted well over 200 Masonic funerals in the last 30 years sadly enough, and it certainly is nice in the busy world I live and work in , to just show up at a grave site and conduct a funeral, without having to go to the lodge, open it, and then go back and close it once the service is concluded. The Lodge of Sorrow has been around since around 1981 or 82, and I for one love the system. What is wrong with making changes that are not derogatory to our fraternity and are in fact more conducive to making it possible for more brothers to be present.
On the opening of EA and FC lodges without opening a Masters Lodge, when the proposal first went to the Grand Lodge floor, I was not a proponent, but except for a couple of cases where a lodge or two are getting rusty at calling from labor to refreshment and back, I have not seen any other adverse effects.

jwardl

This will always be a split issue, as the lodge means different things to different people.

Some brothers are attracted to the esoteric aspects, the introspective exams, the deeper meanings of the ancient mysteries -- while for others, it is primarily about the fraternity, the brotherhood... and for some, it's basically a boys' club -- a place to get away from work, the family, responsibilities... and kick back for awhile.

IMHO, however, the esoteric aspects are what make us different from other fraternities, and we cannot afford to become too lax on this aspect. Without proficiency requirements, the work will, in time, fade away. How sad it is for lodges to exist in which no officers are proficient (advanced age is no excuse -- many seniors remain sharp), and the only way to properly hold lodge or even put on a degree is to seek outside help.

To that end, every worshipful master should hold, at a bare minimum, a "C" certificate -- and preferably an "A." Yes, this alone doesn't make a brother a good choice for WM. As has been mentioned, talents, time, capabilities, etc. should be heavily considered... but the one who leads the lodge should, above all others, be one to whom others can depend on to be a source of knowledge about our ceremonies.

As for those lodges currently comprised of older brothers who aren't proficient and aren't interested in learning (don't tell me they CAN'T), no... don't close them down. But rules could be enacted that require newly-initiated brothers, before being seated in the east, to hold a certificate. Unfair? Not at all.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
This will always be a split issue, as the lodge means different things to different people.

Some brothers are attracted to the esoteric aspects, the introspective exams, the deeper meanings of the ancient mysteries -- while for others, it is primarily about the fraternity, the brotherhood... and for some, it's basically a boys' club -- a place to get away from work, the family, responsibilities... and kick back for awhile.

IMHO, however, the esoteric aspects are what make us different from other fraternities, and we cannot afford to become too lax on this aspect. Without proficiency requirements, the work will, in time, fade away. How sad it is for lodges to exist in which no officers are proficient (advanced age is no excuse -- many seniors remain sharp), and the only way to properly hold lodge or even put on a degree is to seek outside help.

To that end, every worshipful master should hold, at a bare minimum, a "C" certificate -- and preferably an "A." Yes, this alone doesn't make a brother a good choice for WM. As has been mentioned, talents, time, capabilities, etc. should be heavily considered... but the one who leads the lodge should, above all others, be one to whom others can depend on to be a source of knowledge about our ceremonies.

As for those lodges currently comprised of older brothers who aren't proficient and aren't interested in learning (don't tell me they CAN'T), no... don't close them down. But rules could be enacted that require newly-initiated brothers, before being seated in the east, to hold a certificate. Unfair? Not at all.

I would think it would be a benefit to the WM to hold at least a C. He is already required to be certified in opening and closing all 4 lodges to be WM. Of course that qualification has loosened a bit. But he should be able to do the questions and answers too.

Personally, I would love to see all the officers be required to do their parts in degrees. If your lodge places you in a chair, then that should be part of your duties in that chair IMO.

Beathard

Premium Member
If one can open and close all 4 lodges and answer questions from new members about the EA, FC & MMs trials, I don't think you need a certificate to be an officer. But if you know all of this why wouldn't you get a certificate.

Remember that our newest members look up to the key officers as THE EXAMPLES of the perfect masons. When we cant open and close the lodge or answer their questions we destroy their image of masonry before the understand enough to travel independently.

I believe we owe it to our newest brothers to be proficient. If you do not want to dedicate the time to become proficient, support the lodge with labors other than that of an officer.

Beathard

Premium Member
In Texas the C certificate requires the questions and answers from all three degrees, the Tilers Oath, and opening and closing of all lodges. The B certificate adds all degree work except the lectures. The A certificate adds the 3 lectures.

The exams are verbal and given by a member of the grand lodge committee on work. One must be reasonably proficient to pass.

In Texas the WM is supposed to be proficient in opening and closing the lodges. All masons are supposed to know the questions and answers from the trial lectures and the tilers oath. I don't understand why officers are not required to have a C certificate.

Last edited:

tom268

Ah, interesting. That is very much memo-work for an A, I believe. I don't know the US degrees, but if they are similar to the english Emulation work, it is very much text. I agree, that at least a C certificate sounds reasonable, maybe with special dispensation for lodges in dire situations.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
That's a very sound argument. The skills are mutual exclusive.

I have to disagree here. To begin with, any Brother who was able to learn the Q&A's should be capable of learning the opening & closing ritual- it's not nearly as extensive. Secondly, a Brother who will not learn to perform the duties of his office, such as opening & closing his Lodge in a proficient manner is not, IMHO, demonstrating leadership. Can a Brother handle the administrative functions of the office of WM without being competent in the ritual? Sure. Does that make him a "leader"? Absolutely not.

jwhoff

Premium Member
I was a pretty good basketball player in high school. But my best footwork was serving a "place" under a master who never opened or closed the same way ... in 22 chances. It sure kept you on your toes. But I have also served under two masters who, for whatever reason, knew their work and put degrees on well but didn't possess certifications. One was a very good leader and the other so-so. I understand and agree with your premise. It would show more leadership to hold a certificate.

JJones

My opinion is by the time a brother becomes Worshipful Master he should be proficient enough in the work to obtain a certificate anyhow. I don't think it should be required...but assuming a lodge is electing the most capable brother that's eligible I would hope that means the WM elect would be capable of getting a C certificate at least.

there are other reasons to install a worshipful master than just ritual.

some people will never be good ritualists, but are good leaders.

Amen, there's far, far, more to it than just that...a fact with is often overlooked I think. Still, I'm not sure it matters how sharp your leadership skills are if you can't even open and close the lodge proficiently. I think if it's someones goal to become WM then they at least owe it to themselves and their lodge to become familiar with the ritual. I also think it's fair to say that you don't have to be perfect at it, we're only human, but I don't think they are looking for perfection when it's time to certify either.

tomasball

Premium Member
Since when does being able to open and close a lodge make you a ritualist? Memorization is learning. If you can't learn, then there's something wrong with you.

Beathard

Premium Member
We just had an 80 year old learn the fellowcraft lecture and give it. You can do it at any age.

Beathard

Premium Member
After the degree, on the way down the stairs, he said that should put an end to those 60 year olds saying they're too old to memorize the work. I just had to smile.

Last edited:

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
We have a Brother who, at the age of 82, earned his first "A" certificate. He got his 65 Year pin last year.