My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worshipful Master

Should Worshipful Masters hold a Certificate?

• Yes

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • No

Votes: 25 29.8%
  • Unsure

Votes: 12 14.3%

• Total voters

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I think a WM should have enough pride in himself & consideration for his Brethren to learn to open & close Lodge correctly. I've also been in Lodges where the WM was incapable of opening & closing- some were so bad that it would have been preferable for the Lodge to have not opened at all.

Our current requirement of certifying WM's in opening & closing is not onerous. All I look for is for the WM to be able to get the 4 Lodges opened & closed without needing to be prompted. After all, that will be part of his job. I do not insist that he be letter-perfect. It's more like a proficiency than a certificate exam.

As to a Chinese fire drill after elections, I refuse to participate. There are a number of Committee on Work Forums & exams given in our area in the spring (5 this year) that those who desired to be elected to the office of WM could attend & get certified at. In addition, I held a certification exam the Saturday following the last election in our District. Any one who could not make it to a Forum could come to my session, which I notified the Lodges about back in January. Everyone had ample opportunity to tend to their business. I only had one "Brother" who waited until the last minute & tried to pressure me into signing off on him without demonstrating his proficiency (of which he had none). Guess what? He ain't the WM of his Lodge this year.

cambridgemason

Premium Member
Premium Member
in my view, it is one more thing for the master to do, one more thing for the GL to do. While I think it is important that something be done to help, it is up to the PM of the lodge to step in if whatever needs to be done. Here in Mass. we have a masters path that all masters MUST attend. It goes over the duties, how to run a business meeting, committees etc. I have seen men that can not put two words together but do some great things for the lodge. Others that can spit out the ritual in their sleep, forward and backwards, but do crap for the lodge. Do lodges in Texas hold a class called the masters path and make the masters go to it? voted unsure on this topic

HKTidwell

Premium Member
There are some here who know that I would like to see myself and some others I know go for our certs in the next year or so. However I would not want the GLoTX to mandate/force/require this to be. My personal opinion about mandates and requirements is once you start requiring one person then it is expanded to two then three and so forth. Each lodge should take pride in their lodge and making sure the officers, and degree teams are run efficently and as close to perfect as possible. No matter how good a person is they will screw something up.

:6:

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
no, there are other reasons that a master of a lodge should be installed than just memorized ritual.

js4253

Premium Member
Premium Member
there are other reasons to install a worshipful master than just ritual.

some people will never be good ritualists, but are good leaders.

I agree. I think the policy of being tested by the DI or COW is good though. A Brother who is traveling to the East should be able to open and close the Lodge. His leadership ability and the fact that the Lodge wants him to be WM is what counts most.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
The GLoT has had no rquirments on the work for a long time and look at where it got us collectivley. No 2 lodges open lodge the same as it should be and especially going into the leadership role of the lodge and not knowing the work to me would like being CEO of beef company and being a vegan. You have to have a basic understanding of your job you have commited yourself to and as all jobs there are certian requirments that must be met and a basic knowledge of your job, in order to be an effective leader. In my humble opinion if you are WM and do not know how to open and close for your brothers you are giving tehm a distinct impression you do things half expletive.

owls84

Premium Member
I really enjoy Bro. Bill's input into this. From the eyes of a DI.

My feelings on the Brother that stated the what do we do about the small town lodges that can't open and close? My answer is, GL give plenty of resources to learn the work. Every district has a DI that is capable of teaching them the work if it is wanted. How can one spread light of masonry and not know the rituals? I think at minimum a C should be required. If am man can't take the time to learn a few lines then how can he be a leader? It is not that complicated.

Has anyone else seen Lodges that go through the motions of having different people be WM but the same people run the lodge? I just see this as preventing unqualified people becoming PMs. Truthfully I think PM has become watered down in our Jurisdiction.

These are just my feelings right now. I may change 5 years down the road but I just don't see the big deal in having Masters show a slight commitment.

owls84

Premium Member
After posting my last response I re-read what cambridgemason had to say about how they don't require it but it is expected.

I think about the things that were told me when I spoke to some older members about this. They said a long time ago the memory work wasn't required but it was taught and you were expected to learn it. At some point someone said well if it isn't required I am not doing it. Then if you were going to be an officer period you were to have the knowledge of what now is an A certificate. It wasn't required and someone said if it is not required we can bend the tradition a little an now look. We have lodges that can't open and close much less do a degree. These things never changed but because it is not required people felt like it doesn't matter. He told me that you didn't do it to learn the memory work it was proof that you were committed and that you can pass that along to the next guy.

That is just the point of view from an elderly Brother that I spoke to.

js4253

Premium Member
Premium Member
in my view, it is one more thing for the master to do, one more thing for the GL to do. While I think it is important that something be done to help, it is up to the PM of the lodge to step in if whatever needs to be done. Here in Mass. we have a masters path that all masters MUST attend. It goes over the duties, how to run a business meeting, committees etc. I have seen men that can not put two words together but do some great things for the lodge. Others that can spit out the ritual in their sleep, forward and backwards, but do crap for the lodge. Do lodges in Texas hold a class called the masters path and make the masters go to it? voted unsure on this topic

In Texas we have Warden's retreats. Junior Wardens prepare for the Senior Warden job. Senior Wardens prepare for Worshipful Master job. I do think there is room for improvement, but GLOT does attempt to provide Leadership training.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
We also have the L.I.F.E. program for those who cannot get to a Wardens' Retreat. As John & others have posted, the resources are available- it's up to the Brother to avail himself of them.

nick1368

there are other reasons to install a worshipful master than just ritual.

some people will never be good ritualists, but are good leaders.

and just because they are able to be good ritualist doesn't mean they are good leaders. while I think it sets a good example of what the Lodge members should strive for, I don't think GL should make it a requirement to hold a C, B, or A certif.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I don't think GL should make it a requirement to hold a C, B, or A certif.

I agree, but I do think the WM ought to be able to open & close his own Lodge. You know, this only became an issue when GL deleted the requirement for a few years. Had it been in effect all along, nobody would have thought twice about it.

js4253

Premium Member
Premium Member
We also have the L.I.F.E. program for those who cannot get to a Wardens' Retreat. As John & others have posted, the resources are available- it's up to the Brother to avail himself of them.

I can't imagine anyone taking the WM position and not trying to prepare himself for the job.

fairbanks1363pm

it think to be master mean should master something. either know the work or law book. my opinion has changed on this issue because i have seen great masters who didnt know the ritual but do a great job as master and dealing with the issues that come with the East. i now think the most important issue is to be a leader. we need leadership in freemasonry. it would be gret for masters to do all the ritual but, in todays society i dont see it happening.

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
Yes, some Masons are good ritualists, some are good leaders. To be WM, you should at least have a little of both. At least be able to open and close.

RedTemplar

Johnny Joe Combs
Premium Member
Yes, some Masons are good ritualists, some are good leaders. To be WM, you should at least have a little of both. At least be able to open and close.

What about a leadership certificate for those desiring to become WM? The criteria could include a little of both, maybe a lot, or somewhere in between.