My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

York or Scottish Rite?

Ranger Morris

God is God, Christ is God, and The Holy Spirit is God. This is what is called the Trinity. Water, ice, and vapor, are all h2O. Same thing. Not trying to argue this point as it is just Truth. In Society today, we are surely lacking Truth. One needs only look at the Word of God to find it!

GKA

Premium Member
For your consideration
image.jpeg

GrandJojo

I am not a Christian, and yet still a York Rite and Scottish Rite Mason. The Christian Faith is not required, just Faith in a Supreme Being. There are Orders in Belgium, where the Christian Faith is required - the Red Cross of Constantine, the Royal Order of Scotland - and the Knight Templar might too.

I've been taught that Freemasonry is universal, that Good men of (mostly) any faith may be accepted. My opinion on Orders that require a specific Faith from its candidates, is that those Orders should reconsider the requirement and Oath of that order, if it recruiting candidates from Blue Lodges. It's one thing to ask to defend Christian values, it is an entirely other thing to require to believe in the Trinity.

Imagine if there was a Regular Masonic Order where they only allowed Muslim Brethren to join.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I am not a Christian, and yet still a York Rite and Scottish Rite Mason. The Christian Faith is not required, just Faith in a Supreme Being. There are Orders in Belgium, where the Christian Faith is required - the Red Cross of Constantine, the Royal Order of Scotland - and the Knight Templar might too.

I've been taught that Freemasonry is universal, that Good men of (mostly) any faith may be accepted. My opinion on Orders that require a specific Faith from its candidates, is that those Orders should reconsider the requirement and Oath of that order, if it recruiting candidates from Blue Lodges. It's one thing to ask to defend Christian values, it is an entirely other thing to require to believe in the Trinity.

Imagine if there was a Regular Masonic Order where they only allowed Muslim Brethren to join.
You indicate you are a York Rite Mason, but not a member of KT?

There are GLs with which your GL is in amity which are Christian only. Many not Muslim only?

GrandJojo

Right - I am not a member of KT, but I am a Mark Mason, a member of the Royal Arch Mariners (this is the District of Belgium for England) -and a Royal Arch Mason (Belgium has its own Grand Chapter and only does one degree). None of these degrees require the Christian Faith. The KT is not practiced in Belgium (there are chapters in the Netherlands and France, some just accross the border which are attended by Belgian Brethren). We have something equivalent - the Scottish Rectified Rite - which is Chivalrous and Christian themed. The SRR requires its candidates to defend Christian values - values which I find difficult not to defend.

We are in amity with Sweden and Denmark - although Denmark has created a sub/provincial Grand Lodge where non-Christians may apply. There is the other issue of practicing degrees other than the first three - they go up to twelve, and all this is regulated by the same Grand Master. This violates one of the criteria for Regularity set forth by the United Grand Lodge of England - but they recognize Sweden and Denmark nevertheless. The Royal families of Sweden and Denmark have ties with the Royal family of Great Britain.

Personally, I don't feel this is right - but there are historical and political explanations. It might also be something that is very difficult to change - due to the very nature of our organization.

dfreybur

Premium Member

If it were an appendent body parallel in some way to the Commandery I'd not have any issue with the group.

If it were a lodge or jurisdiction conferring the first 3 degrees, they would have to be so old they predate our universality like Sweden. (all sorts of caveats about the Swedish Rite here).

GrandJojo

Freemasonry unites those that might otherwise have remained at a perpetual distance.

I know, I know - quoting ritual is cheap, just like quoting scripture, it can be used in favor or against any argument.

I have in fact no problems with the KTs, The Royal Order of Scotland, or many other Orders - but if something is to be "Masonic", or recruit from a Regular Grand Lodge, or claim a Masonic connection - I still feel it should adhere to the principals of its base.

But that's just me and my 2 cents.

Reactions: GKA

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Right - I am not a member of KT, but I am a Mark Mason, a member of the Royal Arch Mariners (this is the District of Belgium for England) -and a Royal Arch Mason (Belgium has its own Grand Chapter and only does one degree). None of these degrees require the Christian Faith. The KT is not practiced in Belgium (there are chapters in the Netherlands and France, some just accross the border which are attended by Belgian Brethren). We have something equivalent - the Scottish Rectified Rite - which is Chivalrous and Christian themed. The SRR requires its candidates to defend Christian values - values which I find difficult not to defend.

We are in amity with Sweden and Denmark - although Denmark has created a sub/provincial Grand Lodge where non-Christians may apply. There is the other issue of practicing degrees other than the first three - they go up to twelve, and all this is regulated by the same Grand Master. This violates one of the criteria for Regularity set forth by the United Grand Lodge of England - but they recognize Sweden and Denmark nevertheless. The Royal families of Sweden and Denmark have ties with the Royal family of Great Britain.

Personally, I don't feel this is right - but there are historical and political explanations. It might also be something that is very difficult to change - due to the very nature of our organization.
In dealing with American Masons, claiming you are a York Rite Mason might well cause confusion. Many will think you are a member of Royal Arch, Cryptic and possibly KT. I think your point is that your symbolic lodge uses a Preston Webb ritual.

GrandJojo

I'm actually giving a lecture next week explaining just how confusing the York Rite is in Europe ! It can mean different things depending on the jurisdiction, but I blame the French for this most :)

dfreybur

Premium Member
In dealing with American Masons, claiming you are a York Rite Mason might well cause confusion.

Most American brothers have not seen/read the SR scripts for the first 3 degrees and may not even be aware there exist SR scripts for the first 3 degrees. As a result most American brothers are not aware that they went through and learned a version of the ritual that is more closely related to the YR system than to the SR system. The exceptions being brothers who have attended degrees in Louisiana or lodges that still use Louisiana ritual which is descended from the SR branch of our family.

The Scottish Rite is actually French and that's why Louisiana. The York Rite is really the American Rite. The rest of the YR degrees are built on the Preston ritual so parentage of degrees isn't the same in the two systems. Calling it YR derived isn't accurate. More like degrees that YR is derived from.

chrmc

I'm actually giving a lecture next week explaining just how confusing the York Rite is in Europe ! It can mean different things depending on the jurisdiction, but I blame the French for this most :)

I'd love to read that, if it is possible to share afterwards.