My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Lodge of Georgia Bans Gay Men

R

Ressam

I am not sure how much of this post is misunderstood due to "translation barrier" or not. The data remains the same, and not entirely correct.

Sororities (at least here in the United States) do not openly accept men as a rule, homosexual or not. That is the key difference between a Fraternity and a Sorority, men to one... women to the other.
You are right, sir.
Excuse me. :):)
I said sth. else, not related to "sororities".
I meant more -- about life things.

NY.Light.II

Look! do you see it? You just jumped from what you originally posted:
and you are using a different word! You're using these words synonymously! No wonder you have such angered confusion. You also assume that all Rituals have the same response; they do not.

1. I think it is completely fair to use mason and Freemason interchangeably. For one thing, this concept is already present in the language informally. Most people, when hearing mason, think of the craft. Further, Masons, in the understanding of builders and personal stone worker, are today relatively few in number. Indeed, Donald Trump was the force behind Trump Tower, but I would hardly consider him an operative mason. Even construction workers do not often work with stone building implements directly. Third, we can take a lesson from grammar here, as auxiliary groups (SR, Shrine, etc) are properly called Masonic bodies, and makes no distinction between Masonic or Freemasonic.

2. In another post on this thread, you cite freemasonry as a theatrical group, with somewhat convoluted secondary clauses. To water-down freemasonry as a theatrical troupe that can only appeal a sub-set "target market" is too simplistic to capture what freemasonry is. I doubt that when HRH Prince Edward, Duke of Kent was initiated, he did so to be a royal patron of a troupe of thespians.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
1. I think it is completely fair to use mason and Freemason interchangeably. For one thing, this concept is already present in the language informally. Most people, when hearing mason, think of the craft. Further, Masons, in the understanding of builders and personal stone worker, are today relatively few in number. Indeed, Donald Trump was the force behind Trump Tower, but I would hardly consider him an operative mason. Even construction workers do not often work with stone building implements directly. Third, we can take a lesson from grammar here, as auxiliary groups (SR, Shrine, etc) are properly called Masonic bodies, and makes no distinction between Masonic or Freemasonic.

2. In another post on this thread, you cite freemasonry as a theatrical group, with somewhat convoluted secondary clauses. To water-down freemasonry as a theatrical troupe that can only appeal a sub-set "target market" is too simplistic to capture what freemasonry is. I doubt that when HRH Prince Edward, Duke of Kent was initiated, he did so to be a royal patron of a troupe of thespians.

oooooh, now you've done it.

Where are you a Mason/Freemason/member?

NY.Light.II

oooooh, now you've done it.

Where are you a Mason/Freemason/member?

As I've stated multiple times on this forum, I am not yet a initiated into any fraternal body. I plan to petition once I am permitted to (once I overcome the age requirement).

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
As I've stated multiple times on this forum, I am not yet a initiated into any fraternal body. I plan to petition once I am permitted to (once I overcome the age requirement).
Man are you in for an awakening!

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
1. I think it is completely fair to use mason and Freemason interchangeably. ...
Oh, it certainly is completely fair when you're speaking about the craft in general. However, when you getting down and dirty into the Craft mud, you have to have some way of distinguishing between wet dirt and fresh fertilizer. If you wish to keep the fantasy alive, fuzziness is necessary and hence interchangeability is actually preferred. When you want to break through the veil of illusion, differentiation is a must.
2. In another post on this thread, you cite freemasonry as a theatrical group, with somewhat convoluted secondary clauses.
Once you become a member of the Society, I am open to help you better understand your perceived convolutions. Or, you can obtain some light upon the subject before hand if you want to understand better what you are getting yourself into.
To water-down freemasonry as a theatrical troupe that can only appeal a sub-set "target market" is too simplistic to capture what freemasonry is.
I see that you believe I have watered it down. I believe you are mistaken. What I have done is characterize the operations of the organization. Once again, you are confusing Freemasonry as an operations with the Masonry it uses to offer Moral guidance through its morality plays.
I doubt that when HRH Prince Edward, Duke of Kent was initiated, he did so to be a royal patron of a troupe of thespians.
LOL! Doubt away. He most like was under the same misunderstanding that you appear to be under.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
NY.Light.II said:
coachn said:
Man are you in for an awakening!
How so
Wait.... you don't know? No one told you what to expect? You're a person of nonage?

Yup, better be ready to brace yourself!

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
"Regularity has to do with what are accepted standards"
OK ! any group have rules and members regular to these rules.
Freedom is the FIRST quality Because RITUALS states by the answer at "What is a freemason ?"
Sorry, but the quality of freemason does not refer to any GL but through the answer at "How can I recognize you as a freemason ?" Everything is mentionned at the initiation and known by the tiler.
GL is a facultative body(no GL before 1717 and many lodges are out of any juridiction).
The ones who reject women or atheist as freemasons engage themselves only.
I can say I dont recognize such individuals as humans but it only involves my opinion.
Seriouly, a rational approach shoud examine where you find any reason in the basis of freemasonery to sexism or exigence of an hypocrit belief in something that nobody is able to say what it is.
I can attest that in my lodge in UK about 90 % don't practice any religious ceremony, don't believe in the reality of what is said in the Bible, but sing "God save ... etc".
Even full atheist sing "God save ..."
It is a question a priority : Apparently, for you, freemasonery is affair of "juridiction". For me, freemasonery (no matter any juridiction) states "universal fraternity", equality, freedom before any fidelity to any organisational body.
NB : Sorry ... my Ipad decides for me some words ...

"I can say I dont recognize such individuals as humans but it only involves my opinion"

????

Joaben

I'm delighted that you have found a place of comfort.
A good laugh is good for health but is not an argument.
I think that FM has not to do with supporters but more with uprightness, sincerity, authenticity, freedom.
WOW! I guess I should not be surprised at this at this point.
I you want to laugh, you must accept 2nd degree example.
And after laghing, I shoud be pleased that you seriously answer to serious question :
"Where do you find sexism in masonic rituals to pretext your female band ?"
And where do you find encouragement to religious devotion ?

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
A good laugh is good for health but is not an argument.
Unless the good laugh is directed at what you are saying. :D
I think that FM has not to do with supporters but more with uprightness, sincerity, authenticity, freedom.
It can be anything that you want it to be... We are all free to make up what makes sense to us most. If these are what you make it to be, God bless you in your choices.
I (if?) you want to laugh, you must accept 2nd degree example.
I must?
And after laghing, I shoud be pleased that you seriously answer to serious question :
"Where do you find sexism in masonic rituals to pretext your female band ?"
I have no idea what you are asking.
And where do you find encouragement to religious devotion ?
all over the place.

Joaben

Unless the good laugh is directed at what you are saying. :D

It can be anything that you want it to be... We are all free to make up what makes sense to us most. If these are what you make it to be, God bless you in your choices.

I must?

I have no idea what you are asking.

all over the place.

Teasing is one thing, but it does not make argument ! May be no argument ...
Apparently you did not understand the joke .. I will do it more understandable for you :
IF I SHOULD say "I does not consider yu as human, it SHOULD BE just MY opinion"
It is the same with your pretentions !
Apparently you have no argument to justify YOUR BAN of females from your lodges. OK !
idem with religious devotion ! It is limited to affirmation ... OK !

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Apparently you did not understand the joke .. I will do it more understandable for you :
Apparently you have no argument to justify YOUR BAN of females from your lodges. OK !
Why would coachn, or any of us, need to "justify" the ban on women. It was this way when the Grand Lodge system was created in 1727 and the vast majority of us like it the way it is. I don't hear anyone laying the claim of sexism on sororities. We are self sufficient and receive no government funds. Therefore, as far as I am concerned, this particular landmark needs no justification.

Joaben

Why would coachn, or any of us, need to "justify" the ban on women. It was this way when the Grand Lodge system was created in 1727 and the vast majority of us like it the way it is. I don't hear anyone laying the claim of sexism on sororities. We are self sufficient and receive no government funds. Therefore, as far as I am concerned, this particular landmark needs no justification.
I think that everything has an explanation in masonery. The fact you like it this way is a bit ... short.
In 1717(not 1727), slavery was in the texts. It has changed, since, No ?
"sororities" is a stange word. Do you mean they are not freemasons, not part of "universal fraternity"?
Women lodges which do not accept men in their meetings are sexist as well. By DEFINITION (discrimination based on sex).
Of course this is your right to state sexism or homophobia or religious sectarism in your constitution !(the courts will decide if you must be condemned for that) But it is the right of anybody to criticize it !
I think(but I see that from Europe, not from Georgia or Tenessee) it a shame for freemasonery all over the world to display this kind of behavior.
Freemasonery is at the origin of Constitution Act and Human Rights. It is its glory, certainely not a competition with the most archaic and egoist religious behaviors.
Sorry to be so direct. But th "f" of Freemasonery means "frankness" too, No ?

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Only when you don't take offense...
If it was a joke, I recommend you not quit your day job.
Well, yes, but it speaks to your character and if this was indeed a joke, it is in poor taste, and I would not characterize it as a laughing matter. No amount of characterizing it as a joke will get you out of these holes.
What pretentions?
Have you not been listening? Apparently you did not understand the reason. I will do it more understandable for you :

The Premier Grand Lodge chose to make the organization that they were creating back in circa 1717 a men's only society. Whatever meaning that you have assigned to that creation is of your own choosing, but it is not in line with the intent of the men who created the organization.

Secondly, it is not my ban. It is a social construct of which I have chosen to participate. This social construct has existed for nearly 300 years before I joined. I have no problem with it since I was looking for a male only organization when I found this one.
huh?

Joaben

The main problem is not "my joke" but YOUR REALITY, the way you treat brethren (male or female or homo).
You apparently did not understand(or not want to consider) the opposite argument !
In 1717, about all organisation were "men only". as in some times "white only", as "no slaves accepted".
And the constitution of Grand Lodge of London was set, based on these society rules of THESE TIMES.
When slavery was bannished in Europe, FM constitutions changed.
Army, police, religion were "male only" for thousands of years too ! And they changed !
I dont argue about your personal prefrences for "male only" ! That's your point.
But about the official statements of your organisation stating sexism and homophobia as moral(sic) values !
Army, police have changed and abandonned that ! And many FM organisations too !
Not the main stream of pretended "regular" GL !
By the way, are you allowed to visit as mason, feminine or mixed FM lodges ... ?

NY.Light.II

The main problem is not "my joke" but YOUR REALITY, the way you treat brethren (male or female or homo).
You apparently did not understand(or not want to consider) the opposite argument !
In 1717, about all organisation were "men only". as in some times "white only", as "no slaves accepted".
And the constitution of Grand Lodge of London was set, based on these society rules of THESE TIMES.
When slavery was bannished in Europe, FM constitutions changed.
Army, police, religion were "male only" for thousands of years too ! And they changed !
I dont argue about your personal prefrences for "male only" ! That's your point.
But about the official statements of your organisation stating sexism and homophobia as moral(sic) values !
Army, police have changed and abandonned that ! And many FM organisations too !
Not the main stream of pretended "regular" GL !
By the way, are you allowed to visit as mason, feminine or mixed FM lodges ... ?

Slight modification. Slavery was never banned in Europe as a whole on a specific date. Slavery was outlawed on a piecemeal, country by country basis, and this happened in different years across different countries.