My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just Venting.

Brian Davis

Evening brothers,
I recently went through my 2nd degree, and I have noticed a trend. I have very little to no contact at all with any of the brothers from the lodge, until its time to do my degree work. I study on my own, but don't feel like I'm getting much light that way.
I reach out to the brothers from the lodge, and they tell me they are working on putting a study hall together, but nothing has materialized as of yet. I feel like the only time they want me around, is when it's time to pay for degree work. I will be getting raised in a few weeks, and honestly, I don't feel like i possess the light, to consider myself a master mason.

CLewey44

James is correct to a degree, but we are all FCs as much as we are MMs (and EAs for that matter) and they should be helping you more and certainly be working with you on the cat lec. Another good point James made is that you do need to dig yourself some and not rely on them too much, maybe with some guidance from them as to not get off in left field too much. And at the end of the day, people are busy and hopefully when you're in the shoes of some of your mentors, you'll do a better job than they did with new guys. It can be tough to break away from your family or job to make time to teach others these things. However, it is a responsibility if you agreed to do it.

I'm sorry it's not going as you expected or as it should. Hopefully when you are raised, you can start making good changes in your lodge if you feel it needs it. Show interest in becoming an officer and hopefully you'll be selected and then you can start having more of a voice. Staying active and setting a standard is important too. When new guys show up to be initiated, spend a lot of time with them that night, make them feel welcomed and special. Go out afterwards and get a beer maybe. Freely talk with them about their initiatory experience, give your input and ask their opinion as well.

Best of luck to you!

acjohnson53

All is true on all that's said, We are Fellows of the Craft. What I recommend to you go to the Junior Deacon and seek guidance, go up the chain to seek your answers, if you are not satisfied go to the Worshipful Master he has the answer to all your questions

Derek Harvey

Hello brother. You might want to check out The Masonic Lodge of Education. It's a website that educational on all the degrees. It also tests you to see if you are ready. It may help to feel in some gaps. The journey is in the man and what he makes it.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using My Freemasonry mobile app

MarkR

Premium Member
How do you study on your own? All work is mouth to ear.....
As was stated above, this is not true of many jurisdictions. We have a two-letter cipher book, and part of the coaching we do with our initiates is how to read the cipher, so they can study at home as well as with their coach.

tldubb

Premium Member
In our jurisdiction the SD conducts the class just as well he also conducts the candidates. Through the various stations while receiving their degrees. The JD assists him in doing so. The SW, acts as the dean of instruction and assures that the SD is conducting instructions and Masonic knowledge within the guidelines of the constitution and lodge bylaws.

I've been of the opinion that the sponsor of the candidate has responsibility of being a mentor and should assist the candidate/brother in his Masonic Education. In my jurisdiction we have booklets for EA,FC degrees issued from our GL for proficiency purposes and lectures after they are initiated and passed. They also are to take the time to study on their own and participate in degree classes.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

Keith C

Tidubb - Pretty similar on the GL of PA side, with the exception of the responsibilities. Our lodges have a Masonic Education Committee responsible for helping new brothers through the necessary learning through the degrees. We have a packed of information for each degree as well as one that is given tp the Candidate between the time they are balloted successfully and their EA degree. The committee meets with degree candidates monthly and is composed of 3 PMs and another senior brother at our lodge.

I like your idea of the sponsor or, as we say, first line signer, to have the responsibility of mentoring the candidate. I was lucky as the chair of the Education Committee was my first line signer.

I would love to see how you do things. I am going to try to find a free 3rd Sunday night and try to visit your lodge sometime.

acjohnson53

The Junior Deacon is the Sharpest person in the Lodge. Of course all Brothers are knowledgeable, It's not a PHA-Ca thing, that's just my opinion Brothers...FYI I welcome all profanes with open arms, especially if I petition them to become Master Masons. He wouldn't be on here seeking help.....

Thomas Stright

Premium Member
The Junior Deacon is the Sharpest person in the Lodge. Of course all Brothers are knowledgeable, It's not a PHA-Ca thing, that's just my opinion Brothers...FYI I welcome all profanes with open arms, especially if I petition them to become Master Masons. He wouldn't be on here seeking help.....

Why would you petition anyone to become a Mason. They are the ones that need to ask...

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

Keith C

Wow, I appreciate your opinion, but that is far from the truth in most lodges. I speak from my own perspective of being asked to serve as Junior Deacon in my lodge 4 months after being raised. IMHO there are usually MANY PMs who are far "Sharper", more knowledgeable and more wise than the most junior officer in the line.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Define "Sharp".