A Brother Asks: Why Is Excluding Women Legitimate?

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by coachn, Aug 9, 2018.

1. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

Seeking Light

[​IMG]
    A Brother Asks: Is there any legitimate reason why women aren't allowed to be Freemasons, or does it just stem from the acting troupe rules of the 16th century?
    Coach: Before I respond to your question, let me point out the not so obvious.

Brother: Okay. Go ahead.
    Coach: Females are allowed to be Freemasons; just not “male” Freemasons. And the reason why they are not allowed to be “male” Freemasons is that they are not male.

Brother: Okay. Yes. I’ve heard of Co-Freemasonry, and women's lodges and the like.
    Coach: Okay, and you believe they are not Freemasonic?

Brother: I am talking about the rules governing all "regular" lodges.
    Coach: And these female Freemasons and their lodges are Regular my Brother.

Brother: They can’t be!
    Coach: I disagree. They sure can.

Brother: Okay, how so?
    Coach: Regularity is set by the governing Grand Lodge of a jurisdiction.

Brother: Okay...
    Coach: Since these Female centric Lodges are deemed Regular by their Female centric Grand Lodge, they are indeed Regular to it. They are simply not considered Regular to Male centric Freemasonry.

Brother:
    Well, yes. That's not what I meant.
    Coach: Then what did you mean?

Brother: I meant to say they're not Recognized Freemasons and Freemasonic Lodges.

Finalizing the Question

Coach: Yes. Thanks. They are not Recognized by Male centric Lodges. They are Recognized within their own network of lodges though.
    Brother: Okay, I'm trying to get to a point. I'm having a difficult time finding the right words.

Coach: Finding the right words is important.
    Brother: Agreed. What do you think I'm trying to ask?

Coach: I think you're asking the following... Why can't male freemasonry admit and accept females into their organization?
    Brother: Yes. That’s it! That’s the question!

Coach: Okay. Thanks. I believe you’ll find that every last response that you get from anyone trying to answer this question will be either made up or offered as an excuse. It won't be the obvious one that provides the underlying reason.
    Brother: What’s that obvious reason?

(Continue reading here: http://buildinghiram.blogspot.com/2018/08/a-brother-asks-why-is-excluding-women.html )

2. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

We are the home of healthy masculinity.

Glen Cook and coachn like this.
  3. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

A Freemasons' lodge extends from E to W and N to S and from the center of the Earth to the Heavens. It thereby includes women, animals, plants etc.

4. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

To us, UGLE recognition is paramount however to non-Masons it means nothing. A woman asked me if she could be a Mason. I said 'Sure, there are avenues for that but it's considered irregular.' I added 'The United Grand Lodge of England does not recognize them as regular, "legit" Masons'. She said "Who the hell cares what the United Grand Lodge of England thinks?" I thought, as a non-Mason, she's right.

Bloke and Bro. Stewart P.M. like this.
  5. hfmm97

hfmm97 Premium Member

dfreybur likes this.
  6. hfmm97

hfmm97 Premium Member

7. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

When I'm asked this question I simply say that "The Freemasonry that I belong to is a fraternity". If they ask again I simply repeat the same answer. Works for me.

tldubb, Bloke and Bro. Stewart P.M. like this.
  8. EddieGee

EddieGee Registered User

Agree with what others have said. Freemasonry is a fraternity. It is a brotherhood. It doesn't "exclude women" in order to be unfair to them, discriminate against them, etc.; rather, its essence is to be a men's organization. To put it another way: the purpose of the American Kennel Club is to promote the proper and humane breeding / raising / training / health of dogs, not to "exclude cats."

Warrior1256 likes this.
  9. hfmm97

hfmm97 Premium Member

Not to be sexist or hypocritical, but I know that there exist organizations whose membership was limited to females for very legitimate historical reasons. Some women who have challenged me as to why women cannot be Masons still do not want men in their organizations...

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

Warrior1256 likes this.
  10. JamestheJust

If we practiced Masonic Science we could use the "working tools" to test for completeness in the lodge.

11. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

But they can be Freemasons, just not in the male organization.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  12. hfmm97

hfmm97 Premium Member

They WANTED to be members of the MALE organization...oh snap I cannot be in the DAR because most of my family (even my European) was here before there was a USA...

13. hfmm97

hfmm97 Premium Member

Besides, the only "masonic" lodge that I knew of (because I went to a fund-raiser BBQ and almost joined) was co-ed, did not require a belief in Deity (they took their obligations on a blank book representing the conscience of the brother/sister) they worked in Spanish and were part on an irregular GL in South Texas

14. hfmm97

hfmm97 Premium Member

Only "masonic" lodge that I knew of that admitted women in Houston...

15. Warrior1256

Very true.
    Also true.

16. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

A little story. We recently buried our beloved JW in his 50's. At the funeral, I watched our WM openly weeping and a PM sitting beside him. Both are in their 50's. The PM sat there holding the WM's hand and comforting him. Not for a moment, but often through the ceremony. Half the men present would have been Brothers and we filled the back two rows. Where else in Western Society other than Freemasonry would it be seen as completely normal and acceptable (and approved) that two grown heterosexual men can sit publicly holding each others hands ? Such is the bond of fraternalism and such is the secure "authentic " character of these two men that the focus was mutual support rather than public (Masonically) profane opinion.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  17. Warrior1256

Beautiful gesture!

Bloke likes this.
  18. Bro Book

Bro Book Registered User

Good stuff my Brother

Sent from my RCT6973W43 using My Freemasonry mobile app

coachn likes this.
  19. JamestheJust

The oldest Masonic depiction I have found is of the founders of China: Fuxi and Nuwa

[​IMG]

He holds the square and she the compasses. Notice also the sun, moon and stars. Both are doing hand over back and with the feet and knees as best serpents might do. And they are male and female.

Note also: "The Chinese words for carpenter’s square, ju, and a pair of compasses, gui, together form the expression to establish order. "
    https://www.truthcontrol.com/pictures/origins-masonic-compass-and-square-fu-xi-and-nuwa-and-more

Perhaps the original Freemasonry involved males and females equally. Is that part of the lost secrets?

CLewey44 likes this.
  20. hfmm97

hfmm97 Premium Member

john s nagy could it be that all lodges (whether UGLE recognizes them or not) consider themselves regular?

Share My Freemasonry