My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Acacia

Rick Carver

Premium Member
The use of a Sprig of Acacia has meaning to Masons, but have you ever considered it actual meaning?

Acacia is mentioned specifically in connection with the building of the Tabernacle in Exodus Chapters 37 and 38. It says that Acacia wood was used to construct the Ark of the Covenant as well as its poles, the table of showbread and its poles, the brazen altar and its poles, the incense altar and its poles, and all the poles for the hanging of the curtains as well as the supports. Essentially, the Bible says that all the structural load-bearing features of the Tabernacle were constructed of Acacia wood. It also tells us in Exodus 35:24 that one of the freewill offerings that the children of Israel brought to the Tabernacle was Acacia wood.

Every one who could make an offering of silver or bronze brought it as the LORD's offering; and every man with whom was found acacia wood of any use in the work, brought it.

This verse demonstrates that the Hebrews held Acacia in high regard and used it in the most special of circumstances. But in this instance, where did they get it? It wasn’t growing wild in the desert.

Until they stopped to build the temple, we know that the Hebrews had been a nomadic and transient people since the time of the exodus from Egypt. They had never remained in any one place long enough to have transplanted trees and for them to mature to the point where they could produce lumber. We also know there were no indigenous Acacia trees in the region large enough to produce lumber. So where did they get all the Acacia lumber used in the construction of the Temple? We must conclude that either it was sent for, or that they brought it along as they traveled those many years. In either instance, the dense and heavy Acacia wood was unquestionably a burden to transport in those days, and further proves Acacia was considered to be of considerable value and importance.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
There are 1,300 varieties, many of which do indeed grow in the desert. One variety grew in great multitudes along the Nile, and I'm sure hardier varieties adapted to survive further and further from that flood plain. Considering the the singular use if it in the woodworking of the tribes, I'd guess it was as plentiful as any shrub or tree could be in that environment.

Rick Carver

Premium Member
Acacia grows in the desert, but in an environment that dry it is more of a bush or shrub than an actual tree. Even in a park with a sprinkler system and frequent applications of fertilizer, the biggest Honey Locust I have ever seen around here had about a 10' trunk that was maybe 1' in diameter. It would not have made much lumber and the limbs and branches were too crooked and small to use for much.

I shopped around on Ebay and at the local woodworking shop for a long time before I could find enough Acacia to make a ballot box for the Lodge. It is a good wood to work with, but hard to find.

cacarter

Premium Member
Is it possible that there is some fuzziness in the translation of acacia? It is known that Lebanon was once heavily forested with cedars, firs, and junipers. These trees are considered evergreens. At times the word evergreen is used as a synonym for acacia in our work.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Is it possible that there is some fuzziness in the translation of acacia? It is known that Lebanon was once heavily forested with cedars, firs, and junipers. These trees are considered evergreens. At times the word evergreen is used as a synonym for acacia in our work.

A ton of fuzziness in translation, especially when it's about plants. Plants have local common names that vary from place to place. It's very hard to say what plant is actually meant. Also understand that our degrees are based on extremely brief mentions in the Old Testament. Most of of the content had to have been made up probably by folks who had never been to the region.

Rick Carver

Premium Member
The main "misuse" of the word (that I have noticed) is during the Masonic Funeral ceremony. I have seen several individuals bring a sprig of Juiper or a similar evergreen and talk about the "evergreen" being part of Masonic ritual. If Honey Locust is indeed Acacia, then it is not an evergreen. The one in my yard is completely bare in winter.