Accepted

Discussion in 'Becoming a Freemason' started by frs225, Dec 23, 2014.

1. frs225

frs225 Registered User

Hello-

I received my acceptance letter today with dates associated with obtaining my degrees. It looks like I will be an EA on January 28. Is there any education related work for the first degree, or does the initiate go in with out understanding?

Thanks!

Jay Welch likes this.
  2. mrpierce17

mrpierce17 KOP Council director / Lodge instructor Premium Member

First of all let me say congratulations on being accepted into our ancient society . I wouldn't suggest reading anything until you are initiated and then only the material given to you by your instructor , you will understand why once you have gained your 3°

3. frs225

frs225 Registered User

Thank you for the congrats. If I understand you correctly, there is no instruction for the first degree?

Thanks again!

4. Ghost

Ghost Premium Member

Congrats. I was just initiated. My advice is to trust your new brothers to be. There's no need to do any education work. Just listen to everything around you. You'll do great and welcome!

5. frs225

frs225 Registered User

Thank you. I appreciate your advise.

6. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

Some jurisdictions offer initial reading with a booklet like "On the Threshold". They tend to be brief summaries of Masonic history or philosophy, state activities and charities. Feel free to read all you wish on topics like that.

Avoid reading about the events of the ceremony. Do you know anyone who as a kid found their Christmas presents, opened them and spoiled the surprise? Reading about the degree is a bit like that. Go in and let it be a surprise as that increases the emotional impact. Step out in faith that your friend who sponsored you will take good care of you just as the friend who sponsored him did years ago.

7. frs225

frs225 Registered User

I appreciate the advise.

8. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

There is no educational work for your EA initiation. As a matter of fact, anything you may read beforehand may spoil the experiance for you.

9. Bro. Staton

Bro. Staton Registered User

Don't read anything other than what is given to you by your instructor. Everything that you will need will be supplied. Don't search the net for questions or answers as they will be given in due time. Welcome to the craft and keep us updated on your progress.

10. frs225

frs225 Registered User

Will do. Thanks again to everyone for the good advise. I appreciate the support and look forward to becoming a brother.

11. frs225

frs225 Registered User

I have another week until initiation, and the anticipation is killing me.

12. Joshua71

Joshua71 Grand Standard Bearer GL of Alberta, PM Lodge #195 Premium Member

Welcome! Sit back and enjoy the ride, you're in for a treat of an experience and the journey is well worth it for those that want it to be. Know that everyone in the room with you has done what you are about to and are excited for you as well!

13. blacksmith83

blacksmith83 Registered User

Welcome! I went through EA a few months back, this upcoming week i'm going through my 2nd degree...just as everyone says, relax and enjoy the experience and trust your soon to be brothers!

14. frs225

frs225 Registered User

What an amazing night. My brother and I were initiated together. Our lodge did a short and long ceremony. I went first, then was able to witness half of my brothers ceremony. We then joined together to complete the ritual together. WOW what an experience. Thank you to all my brothers who offered sound advice. I am truly honored to be part of this fraternity. My lodge brothers were very welcoming, as are the brothers I have interacted with in this forum.

Bloke, crono782 and Morris like this.
  15. blacksmith83

Congrats and welcome! I went through the degree for fellow craft last night...definitely an exciting experience

16. mrpierce17

mrpierce17 KOP Council director / Lodge instructor Premium Member

Congratulations a beautiful degree indeed...

17. blacksmith83

It definitely reiterates everything I've reflected upon until now...and has given me a greater understanding for my preparations towards further degrees

18. Dale Stages

Dale Stages Registered User

Congratulations, great news to hear.

19. Bro. Stewart P.M.

Bro. Stewart P.M. Lead Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

First of all, Congratulations!!

Secondly, the best way to begin this journey is to go in without any prior knowledge!

Joey and Flatworlder like this.
  20. Jay Welch

Jay Welch Registered User

dfrybur, I really like your Christmas gift analogy. You have to stand there and act all surprised! Yeah its supposed to be a mystery that's a huge part of it. frs 225 congrats man and welcome to the family.

Share My Freemasonry