My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Appendant Bodies

What appendant body do you most recommend?

• Total voters

LastKingSha174

Hey I am a recently Raised Master Mason out of Albany NY. I'm still studying my work and I know studying is truly never done but I am curious, what appendant bodies are the best and what is your reasoning behind your opinion. Thanks for any help I can get on this.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
York Rite is an extension of, and historical part of, the Blue Lodge degrees. The degrees take you back to the time between when you were a FC and a MM.

crono782

Premium Member
Indeed. Though strictly speaking, only two and a half YR degrees fall in the FC-MM gap.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Some Brethren never join any appendant or concordant bodies. They're perfectly content to focus on their Craft Lodge. On the other hand, some join everything they can, and hope for invitations to those they can't.
In the end, it's really up to you. Is one "better" than the others? It depends on what you're looking for, and how active each body is in your area.

LastKingSha174

Thanks for the input Brothers... I probably won't join everything out there but I do want to get involved in a few. Mainly to seek more Light but also to build more friendships in the Fraternity with other Brothers whom I would not otherwise meet. To me it's not really about the titles (Although the majority are pretty cool sounding) but more about the substance each subsequent degree has to offer. I know I definitely do want to get involved with York and Scottish Rites for sure. Not too sure on Shriners yet but definitely keeping it open as a possibility.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Before discussed which appendent body to join, consider the question of when. There is no hurry. In some jurisdictions there used to be a one year waiting period before petitioning. Now it's likely to see a Shrine petition given the night a brother is raised. I went through most of the line before I petitioned one of the appendent bodies and that worked very well for me. No hurry.

crono782

Premium Member
I went into both Scottish Rite and York Rite way too soon after being raised. Even though I get lots of enjoyment out of them, I wish I had waited a while.

rfuller

Premium Member
For me personally, I would like to wait until I've sat in the East. That way I can put my focus on the Blue Lodge as I'm coming up. Once it's time for other brethren to pursue their call to leadership I'll move on to an appendant body.

I feel like a lot was lost on me when I was in a huge rush to get raised. I also feel like I was too young to appreciate many of the lessons as a 21 year old college student. 10 years later and I'm taking my time and really focusing on the ritual and the lectures, this time as part of our degree team.

I understand the thirst for further light. And I know it sure looks good on paper when you're 32nd Degree, part of the commandery, and ride a go kart in all the parades at 25 years old. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) But I'm a Mason for life. I'm in it for the long-haul. I'm taking my time doing a very thorough search for light before I move on. I'm in no hurry.

I'm certainly not trying to discourage you from moving on to the appendant bodies quickly. I know several brothers who have, and who got a lot out of it. I would just like to mention there is still much to be learned in the Blue Lodge that you might miss if you move on too soon.

cacarter

Premium Member
Despite seeing myself in the picture that rfuller painted in his 3rd paragraph, I have to agree with him. And like crono782 I feel like I went into SR (6 months) and YR (3 years) too soon after being raised, but I do really enjoy my time in York Rite and it was a catalyst that reinvigorated my research into the esoteric. And the Shrine, well I enjoy the fun it is while raising money for the Shrine hospitals.

Enjoy the blue lodge and follow your conscience.

KSigMason

Traveling Templar
Site Benefactor
While I stress that a Mason should learn all he can from the Lodge before joining other groups. I'm a member of many groups, but I'd recommend that someone join the York Rite. Even if someone isn't Christian, the Royal Arch and Cryptic degrees complete the story of Craft Masonry.

LastKingSha174

Thanks for all the input, insight, and honest opinions Gentlemen. I will definitely take the time and consider all that was told to me.