My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are you the First Mason in your family?

Are you the first Mason in your family

• I'm the first!

Votes: 72 36.7%
  • I'm not the first! There have been others...

Votes: 89 45.4%
  • I thought I was the first but later found out there were others...

Votes: 26 13.3%
  • I'm not a mason yet, but I'm working on it!

Votes: 9 4.6%

• Total voters

Ashton Lawson

Premium Member
The only person in my family that I am aware of being a Mason is my Grandfather on my dad's side, who adopted my father as a child. I asked him about it a couple years before I joined, and he said that yeah, he'd been a Mason once but they wanted him there so much it interfered with church, so he quit going. That's all he ever said about it, and we've never discussed it since.

I have since discovered my wife's Grandfather was a Mason, but he went suspended for non-payment of dues a few years before he died. Her family are all anti-Mason's so I know none of his history. I have some 2nd & 3rd cousins who are also Masons or OES, but I haven't seen them since I was a young child.

I may as well be the first and only...

Mac

Premium Member
I never really got to know my grandpa too well, but I did find out that he was a Mason, and so was my uncle. For all intents and purposes, I am the first in my family. Reading the stories of men "raising" their sons at the completion of the 3 degrees makes me hope that the Fraternity is seen in a good light by my own son. So far, so good.

Kinda neat to have a 4 year old say "I wanna go to your meetings when I get bigger." :)

Robert G

Premium Member
I am the first mason in my family in America. I don't know about my family in Italy though. After I became a mason in Colorado one of my younger brothers did also in New Jersey.

Isagani96

Yes, I'm the first Freemason in our Family. My younger brother hopefully will become a Master Mason this Year.

LC Barbarino

I am the first Mason my grandfather was a Knight of Columbus. I have been personally touched by a brother and his help with the Shriners hospitals. He guided me through the degrees and is a great mentor, eventhough we are only a few years apart.

Ceasare

Premium Member
First, in my immediate family. However, I plan on being an example of positive fraternalism so that my son may seek the craft's bond as well. (he's two! LOL)

Scott J

I'm third generation as far as I know. My father(d), not sure how far he went in Masonry past Master Mason, and my Grandfather (Maternal). He was 32nd Scotish Rite. My mothers second husband(d) was also a Mason, Scotish Rite, York Rite and Shriner(Alhambra).

Rescue51

Premium Member
I had a grandpa that I didn't really know who was a Mason. I didn't find that out untill I had become an EA. My Grandma was an Eastern Star also.

Sent from my iPhone using Freemasonry

Billy Jones

My Great Grandfather was a Kentucky Mason, Grandfather a Mississippi Mason, his son my Uncle a Texas Mason, and I am a Mississippi Mason.

Ed Nelson

As far as I know, I am the 1st Masonic member of my family.

I am only able to trace my family history back a few generations. Both my father's side from Texas and my mother's side from Oklahoma were very, very poor and no family records are available.

Sadly, while I'm the 1st Mason of my family, I will also be the only one. My wife and I could have no children, so there is no legacy to pass on.

Mac

Premium Member
I was excited about becoming a Mason, but my mother was not. Her side of the family in Scotland apparently opposes Freemasonry. The ironic part of this story is that a brother in Scotland is hand-crafting a gavel for my installation as Master of my Lodge!

My son already says he wants to be a Mason. My daughter wants to be a Shriner. ;)

chancerobinson

My Grandfather is a Mason, and in October 2010 I had the honor and privilege of conferring the 3rd Degree in Masonry upon my father.