My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can a Jewish Brother Wear a Yamaka in a Lodge Room?

Can a Jewish Brother wear a Yamaka in Lodge?

• Yes

Votes: 87 79.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 11.0%
  • Only as Worshipful Master

Votes: 10 9.2%

• Total voters

JohnnyFlotsam

Premium Member
Re: Can a Jewish Brother Wear a Yamaka in a Lodge

I do not share that conclusion. Frowning and condemning are not the same thing imo. The general idea is that in the lodge we should be equal regardless of status, race, religion etc. that is why military brothers would not show their ranks, ppl dont show their wealth, nor their religion. It is to prevent inequality and inappropriate discussion. Which also means that conduct is more important than attire which would make a yamulka acceptable in certain cases. As far as i know, there isnt a rule against it and i think there shouldnt be.
Really? What Masonic lesson teaches us that "military officers... not show their ranks" or that a brother must not "show" his wealth? Are we all so shallow and petty that we can't remember that beneath the insignia, or the Armani, we all stand on the same level?

vangoedenaam

Premium Member

A custom doesnt care itself. The custom doesnt make us shallow or petty. But it sure makes things easier, even though in and of itself that isnt a goal too. I dont necessarily agree with how we do things, but these customs exist. Theyre not laws as far as i know.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

dfreybur

Premium Member

Really? What Masonic lesson teaches us that "military officers... not show their ranks" or that a brother must not "show" his wealth?

We can sit at lodge between a brother who has to save up for his dues and a brother with a net worth in the tens of millions and might not know the financial status of either. The poor brother wears a suit from a thrift shop to meetings. The rich brother wears one of his oldest suits to meetings. They both do this to be on the level and they do it out of a tradition that is not usually explicitly mentioned. This tradition is the case in all of my lodges and as far as I can tell in most other US lodges I have visited. It's one of the beauties of Masonry.

When MW Bro Truman PGM was POTUS he attended lodge as Brother Harry. Everyone knew both of his ranks so it was a bit of a fiction but it's a storied example of meeting on the level. In my mother lodge the less extreme example was police officers of all ranks attending in civies so no rank shows. It's one of the beauties of Masonry.

We can sit in lodge with Brother Z for decades and not know his religion. He's a friend who is at the grill at events, takes parts in the ritual, you name it. Then one day you're driving around and you see Brother Z walking his family into the facilities of Religion X. There's a "BOOM!" sound inside your brain and heart as Religion X goes from "Those guys" to "Must be okay stuff given what I know about my old friend". It's one of the beauties of Masonry.

My last example can only happen if brothers do not openly wear symbols of their religion. I've seen tiny lapel pins that are crosses or the symbols of faiths that you'd have to study to recognize. I've seen pendants poke out between the buttons of shirts. But mostly I've seen no visible signs of a brother's religious membership. Some of our faiths are okay with us wearing symbols under our shirts or not at all. Some of our faiths expect us to wear symbols openly like a yamaka so the best that can be done is make it understated. You do what you can with respect to the tradition.

BryanMaloney

Premium Member

I do not share that conclusion. Frowning and condemning are not the same thing imo. The general idea is that in the lodge we should be equal regardless of status, race, religion etc. that is why military brothers would not show their ranks, ppl dont show their wealth, nor their religion. It is to prevent inequality and inappropriate discussion. Which also means that conduct is more important than attire which would make a yamulka acceptable in certain cases. As far as i know, there isnt a rule against it and i think there shouldnt be.

"Frowning" on something even if there is no explicit rule against it turns those who do that thing into a lesser class in the eyes of the "frowners". If it is a common practice, even if not mandated, it is an institutionalization of hostility. Wearing the yamulka is not a matter of rank. To frown upon it is to say "You are less of a Mason because you choose your devotion to God as your faith teaches it."

JohnnyFlotsam

Premium Member

The poor brother wears a suit from a thrift shop to meetings. The rich brother wears one of his oldest suits to meetings. They both do this to be on the level and they do it out of a tradition that is not usually explicitly mentioned. This tradition is the case in all of my lodges and as far as I can tell in most other US lodges I have visited. It's one of the beauties of Masonry.
I must disagree. I find such measures contrived and badly missing the point of the lesson of the level. How many times have we heard the old saw "it's the internal" parroted here? This is a case where that actually gets practiced. Each brother should choose to wear his best. No brother should judge another on what that "best" is, only that the other cared enough to do make that choice. Period. If we can't get past "the external" we have not mastered that tool.

Zack

I must disagree. I find such measures contrived and badly missing the point of the lesson of the level. How many times have we heard the old saw "it's the internal" parroted here? This is a case where that actually gets practiced. Each brother should choose to wear his best. No brother should judge another on what that "best" is, only that the other cared enough to do make that choice. Period. If we can't get past "the external" we have not mastered that tool.

Well said my Brother.

tldubb

Premium Member

"The internal not the external qualifications of a man are what masonry regards"..Sounds familiar FC charge. .

Sent from my SCH-I545 using My Freemasonry HD mobile app

rfuller

Premium Member

Back to frowning...

The obligation is not supposed to interfere with our duty to our God. If part of your duty to God includes head covering, I don't see why we would ever frown on that.

brother josh

I would hope that if this issue ever came up in my lodge reason would win over personal discrimination of someone's religion agreed duty to the GOD of your faith

admarcus1

My last example can only happen if brothers do not openly wear symbols of their religion. I've seen tiny lapel pins that are crosses or the symbols of faiths that you'd have to study to recognize. I've seen pendants poke out between the buttons of shirts. But mostly I've seen no visible signs of a brother's religious membership. Some of our faiths are okay with us wearing symbols under our shirts or not at all. Some of our faiths expect us to wear symbols openly like a yamaka so the best that can be done is make it understated. You do what you can with respect to the tradition.

Hi Everyone,

I'm a latecomer to this discussion, but I have read it with no small amount of interest because I am an observant Jew. I would like to correct a misconception, however. A yamulke is not a Jewish symbol (though some may have Jewish symbols printed or embroidered on them, nor is it worn to advertise oneself as of the Jewish faith (though this can be the defacto result). The Jewish tradition sees the covering of ones head as a sign of humility before God. The Kippah (which most observant Jews would call it, with the bonus of being easier to spell) is a practical way to observe that requirement. It is small, does not in anyway encumber your head, you can put a hat on over it if you needed to, and it won't block anyone's view at the movies. Orthodox Jews tend to where theirs all the time. I have an Orthodox Jewish friend whose head covering of choice for day to day is a Red Sox cap. It fulfills the obligation just as well.

My denomination (called Conservative, though Traditionalist would be a more accurate name) requires that it be worn during in a Jewish house of worship, when engaging in religious study, or while reciting prayers. I actually struggle with the question about whether Judaism would require me to wear one in lodge or not. While not a house of worshiop, it is "erected to God". So far, I have chosen not to, mostly because I don't want to make waves. I have seen a brother wearing one in a Lodge of Instruction I attended, and I must admit that it made me feel good to see it. It showed me that the the acceptance of Jewish brothers in the Fraternity is not lip service, and is not just accepting of Jewish men who eschew tradition.

I will speak with my Rabbi and ask him his thoughts about whether Jewish tradition would lean toward wearing a kippah in Lodge. He is somewhat familiar with Freemasonry because his father was a Brother. If I then decide to start wearing my kippah to lodge, I will speak with the WM beforehand, to make sure he understands it. I will also wear one that is plain, humble, not decorated in a way that could distract.

I will also note that Judaism is not the only religion that requires men to cover there heads, and for similar reasons.

Cordially and Fraternally,

Ari Marcus
Norfolk Lodge AF&AM
Needham, MA

BryanMaloney

Premium Member

Like the Sikhs and their turbans. Even the US Army has granted exemptions for this.

admarcus1

Like the Sikhs and their turbans. Even the US Army has granted exemptions for this.

This discussion has got me quite curious: What is the origin of the Western tradition of removing one's hat as a sign of respect? Any historians and/or anthropologists out there?

dfreybur

Premium Member

This discussion has got me quite curious: What is the origin of the Western tradition of removing one's hat as a sign of respect? Any historians and/or anthropologists out there?

Out of the chivalric tradition - Removing your helmet to show your face evolved through removing your hood to unblock view of your face to removing your hat to show respect.

admarcus1

Out of the chivalric tradition - Removing your helmet to show your face evolved through removing your hood to unblock view of your face to removing your hat to show respect.

Thank you, Brother. Always happy to learn something new.

admarcus1

As a follow-up, after thought and discussion, including with our WM-elect, I decided I will wear a yarmulke in lodge. I wanted to use a special one, but not have any religious symbols as decoration, so I had one custom designed. In the attached picture, I put the design at the front, but it would actually be worn with the design in the back, which is common when you have a central design. I chose blue for Blue Lodge.
ImageUploadedByMy Freemasonry Pro1406675493.110250.jpg

jwhoff

Premium Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm a latecomer to this discussion, but I have read it with no small amount of interest because I am an observant Jew. I would like to correct a misconception, however. A yamulke is not a Jewish symbol (though some may have Jewish symbols printed or embroidered on them, nor is it worn to advertise oneself as of the Jewish faith (though this can be the defacto result). The Jewish tradition sees the covering of ones head as a sign of humility before God. The Kippah (which most observant Jews would call it, with the bonus of being easier to spell) is a practical way to observe that requirement. It is small, does not in anyway encumber your head, you can put a hat on over it if you needed to, and it won't block anyone's view at the movies. Orthodox Jews tend to where theirs all the time. I have an Orthodox Jewish friend whose head covering of choice for day to day is a Red Sox cap. It fulfills the obligation just as well.

My denomination (called Conservative, though Traditionalist would be a more accurate name) requires that it be worn during in a Jewish house of worship, when engaging in religious study, or while reciting prayers. I actually struggle with the question about whether Judaism would require me to wear one in lodge or not. While not a house of worshiop, it is "erected to God". So far, I have chosen not to, mostly because I don't want to make waves. I have seen a brother wearing one in a Lodge of Instruction I attended, and I must admit that it made me feel good to see it. It showed me that the the acceptance of Jewish brothers in the Fraternity is not lip service, and is not just accepting of Jewish men who eschew tradition.

I will speak with my Rabbi and ask him his thoughts about whether Jewish tradition would lean toward wearing a kippah in Lodge. He is somewhat familiar with Freemasonry because his father was a Brother. If I then decide to start wearing my kippah to lodge, I will speak with the WM beforehand, to make sure he understands it. I will also wear one that is plain, humble, not decorated in a way that could distract.

I will also note that Judaism is not the only religion that requires men to cover there heads, and for similar reasons.

Cordially and Fraternally,

Ari Marcus
Norfolk Lodge AF&AM
Needham, MA

Thank you Brother Marcus for the enlightenment. I had no objections before your words of enlightenment. I have none now. May the GAOTU bless and keep us all. We must always remember that we truly meet upon the level and part upon the square.

Rick Carver

Premium Member
Not that it really matter for our purposes of discussion, but the SCOTUS has preciously ruled that a Yamaka is not a hat, but is instead is a religious symbol. It allows Jewish lawyers to wear them in open court without protest.

admarcus1

Not that it really matter for our purposes of discussion, but the SCOTUS has preciously ruled that a Yamaka is not a hat, but is instead is a religious symbol. It allows Jewish lawyers to wear them in open court without protest.

Very interesting. I had not thought of the fact that it would be an issue in court. It is such an ordinary part of my experience that it hadn't occurred to me. The phrasing is interesting though - it is permitted because it is a religious symbol (which, while perhaps true, is incidental to its purpose) rather than because it fulfills a religious obligation (to have ones head covered.

If I were using it as a religious symbol, I would not wear it in lodge. That is why when I ordered one for me to wear in lodge, I had it adorned with the Square and Compasses rather than a more traditional Star of David, Menorah, or my Hebrew name. I could have left it plain without anything, but I wanted to have something special for lodge.