My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can a Jewish Brother Wear a Yamaka in a Lodge Room?

Can a Jewish Brother wear a Yamaka in Lodge?

• Yes

Votes: 87 79.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 11.0%
  • Only as Worshipful Master

Votes: 10 9.2%

• Total voters

Levelhead

Premium Member
I think if a Jewish person wears his head covering ALL THE TIME, i guess that would be Hasidic jews (who would not become a freemason anyway) it would be fine to wear in lodge as its something they wear like we wear shorts and pants.

But if your a jewish man and ONLY wear it to the synagog out of respect of your holy temple then it should not be worn in lodge as freemasonry is NOT a religion.

Just how i feel about it. But thats me and not the law or rule.

admarcus1

I think if a Jewish person wears his head covering ALL THE TIME, i guess that would be Hasidic jews (who would not become a freemason anyway) it would be fine to wear in lodge as its something they wear like we wear shorts and pants.

But if your a jewish man and ONLY wear it to the synagog out of respect of your holy temple then it should not be worn in lodge as freemasonry is NOT a religion.

Just how i feel about it. But thats me and not the law or rule.
Just a couple of notes:

A:Hasidim are a very small percentage of Observant Jews who wear yarmulkes all the time. They are a tiny minority sect among the larger orthodox community.

B: Neither Hasidim, other orthodox, or any Jewish man who wears his all the time wears it as he would wear shorts and pants. I would guess that most people do not wear shorts and pants to show humility before God (though maybe some do -what do I know).

C: A synagogue is not a "holy temple". There were two Holy Temples, both in Jerusalem, the first built by King Solomon, the second destroyed by Rome. A yarmulke is worn in a synagogue because there is a Torah scroll there, prayers are said there, and scripture is read there.

True Freemasonry is not a religion, but that has no bearing on whether a Jewish man would wear a yarmulke. I don't wear one to work, or a ball game, or to the movies. I do wear one anywhere I go where there is prayer said, or scripture read, or scripture studies - except when visiting a church - as a guest, I follow the traditions of the host, just as non-Jewish men visiting a synagogue prayer service are asked to wear a yarmulke.

In my lodge, I am not a guest, my yarmulke is a functional object, not a religious article (see an earlier post), prayers are read, in some cases scripture is recited, and a Bible sits on the altar. My practice of Judaism therefore requires me to show humility to God by covering my head. And my Lodge has no issue with it.

I don't expect to change anyone's mind, but I would note that the issue with a yarmulke is not because it is so thing religious, but simply because it is a question of having one's head covered. Since I seem to remember so thing from my EA degree saying that nothing in Freemasonry would be be a problem when it comes to my responsibility to my family, faith, or country, I am not surprised that is is not an issue in my lodge.

Lastly, I would suggest that it should either be allowed or not, without any attempt by a
Lodge to to assess or judge the religious requirements of its members. I trust my Brethren to be sincere in their religious practices, and I certainly wouldn't presume to judge their understanding of what is religiously required, or choose which sects and denominations are more or less acceptable, authentic, or sincere.

The last thing I will says that if I were a guest at a lodge I was visiting, I would ask the WM beforehand. If he were not comfortable with it, I would not wear it. My discomfort as a guest would be trumped by his potential discomfort as host. There is a Jewish concept called Shalom bayit, which literally translates as "peace of the house" but basically means keeping harmony. Compromises can be made for the sake of Shalom bayit, and different people feel that there are different extents to which compromise can be made for harmony's sake. For me, I will go uncovered as a guest in a lodge for the sake of maintaining harmony. It makes me uncomfortable enough, however, that any lodge I am a member of would be one that allows a yarmulke.

Sorry for the ramble.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
It's an issue of which culture is seen as superior to the other. A Western cultural imperialist, since we uncover our heads to show respect (to God, for example), would be outraged at someone covering his head in a situation where heads are to be uncovered. The Jewish cultural tradition (which has contributed to but is not the same as the Western tradition) says to cover ones head to show respect to God, at very least. In an organization that purports itself to be of universal brotherhood, I'd say that each man should be allowed to exercise his own traditions.

Bloke

Premium Member
Current MWGM is Jewish and wears his Yamaka in Lodge. Nothing unusual in that. In subordinate lodges, I've seen it both ways but by personal choice. Interestingly, a recently installed WM just started wearing his now he is in the East but does not wear it outside or when in other positions..

MaineMason

I took a peek in Drummond's Monitor (now called the Maine Masonic Text Book) to see what governs Masons here in Maine. I see no reference to religiously obligated head coverings one way or another though, as pointed out in several comments by those from other Grand Lodge jurisdictions the Worshipful Master of a Blue Lodge may wear a top hat or not at his discretion. We had the Most Worshipful Grand Master in the East for some degree work last Saturday at our Lodge and when Worshipful gave the gavel and the East over to the Grand Master he also removed his top hat while sitting at the right of Most Worshipful Grand Master in the East which I would assume would be normal protocol in most of the Grand Lodges in North America.

Emjaysmash

מחפש כל האור
Premium Member
My brother, father and I always wore yarmulke in lodge, even in the presence of the MWGM. There was never any problem.

CLewey44

Would a Sikh be allowed to wear there a turban? Would that be the same? Or a Muslim wear his religious cap?

It's tough to say. I think if you cant abide by rules of an institution, it may not be for you. Should Muslim-Americans in the U.S. military have to shave? I think so unless they are on a shaving waiver for health reasons. Should the state government employee who is a Christian but disagrees with a certain marriage equality right be allowed to decline a marriage license based on his or her beliefs. I dont think so. If they do, they should be reprimanded.

Nobody or no one religion is above another, Masonically speaking. If no Mason brotheris allowed to wear hats of any kind in lodge, except the WM, then so mote it be.

Bloke

Premium Member
Would a Sikh be allowed to wear there a turban? Would that be the same? Or a Muslim wear his religious cap?

I would say yes and yes.. If you see pics of lodges in India, they are full of turbans. My guiding light would be not to compromise a brothers religious beliefs... this is why we do not serve pork at lodge, it's just easier not to (oh, unless we have a breakfast, then we take orders and cook some eggs before the bacon goes into the pan)..

Companion Joe

Premium Member
I would say yes and yes.. If you see pics of lodges in India, they are full of turbans. My guiding light would be not to compromise a brothers religious beliefs... this is why we do not serve pork at lodge, it's just easier not to (oh, unless we have a breakfast, then we take orders and cook some eggs before the bacon goes into the pan)..

That would never fly in the Southeast. There are two basic Masonic meals: BBQ or fried chicken (and banana pudding!). :)

CLewey44

I understand that with India but I would wonder if their guidelines are different. If that's the case and the Indian GL allows it, it's ok I say. I bet in Israel the yamaka is acceptable in lodge per the Israeli GL. But in a U.S. state that may differ. Idk, tough to say.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
That would never fly in the Southeast. There are two basic Masonic meals: BBQ or fried chicken (and banana pudding!). :)
We have solved all these problems in Texas. To begin with, BBQ here is BEEF! Pigs need not apply! Secondly, our Masonic law defines a "hat" as having a full (360 degree) brim. Religious headgear not having such (to my knowledge), it would be OK.

MarkR

Premium Member
We have solved all these problems in Texas. To begin with, BBQ here is BEEF! Pigs need not apply! Secondly, our Masonic law defines a "hat" as having a full (360 degree) brim. Religious headgear not having such (to my knowledge), it would be OK.
So a baseball cap is okay for the brethren? There's no 360° brim on a ball cap.

dfreybur

Premium Member
We have solved all these problems in Texas. To begin with, BBQ here is BEEF! Pigs need not apply!

Interesting. I've had pulled pork or ribs at plenty of places in Texas, but I don't recall any BBQ other than beef at lodge dinners.

If you've ever wondered why the cows on Chick-Fil-A billboards are fiberglass, now you know. We had the originals for dinner at lodge.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
So a baseball cap is okay for the brethren? There's no 360° brim on a ball cap.
Technically yes, AND incorrect for the WM. However, in practice only the WM wears a headgear, except for the aforementioned religious kit, which generally is only seen in large city Lodges.