My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can a woman be a Freemason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member
I can see that this topic has become a little polarised along the line of personal opinion, now noting that one contributor cited a lineage back to 1717 as a proof of regularity and therefor making the opinion of the Grand Lodge of England important I refer back to my second posting on this topic where I wrote:

"I suppose it depends what you choose to call a "bogus organisation". Here in England (the UK) there is the Order of Women Freemasons and the Honourable Fraternity of Antients Freemasons that have both been making women Masons for more than 100 years. In 1999 the UGLE (my Grand Lodge) made the following statement about them:

There exist in England and Wales at least two Grand Lodges solely for women. Except that these bodies admit women, they are, so far as can be ascertained, otherwise regular in their practice. There is also one which admits both men and women to membership. They are not recognised by this Grand Lodge and intervisitation may not take place. There are, however, discussions from time to time with the women's Grand Lodges on matters of mutual concern. Brethren are therefore free to explain to non-Masons, if asked, that Freemasonry is not confined to men (even though this Grand Lodge does not itself admit women). Further information about these bodies may be obtained by writing to the Grand Secretary.
The Board is also aware that there exist other bodies not directly imitative of pure antient Masonry, but which by implication introduce Freemasonry, such as the Order of the Eastern Star. Membership of such bodies, attendance at their meetings, or participation in their ceremonies is incompatible with membership of this Grand Lodge."

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
I can see that this topic has become a little polarised along the line of personal opinion, now noting that one contributor cited a lineage back to 1717 as a proof of regularity and therefor making the opinion of the Grand Lodge of England important I refer back to my second posting on this topic where I wrote:

"I suppose it depends what you choose to call a "bogus organisation". Here in England (the UK) there is the Order of Women Freemasons and the Honourable Fraternity of Antients Freemasons that have both been making women Masons for more than 100 years. In 1999 the UGLE (my Grand Lodge) made the following statement about them:

There exist in England and Wales at least two Grand Lodges solely for women. Except that these bodies admit women, they are, so far as can be ascertained, otherwise regular in their practice. There is also one which admits both men and women to membership. They are not recognised by this Grand Lodge and intervisitation may not take place. There are, however, discussions from time to time with the women's Grand Lodges on matters of mutual concern. Brethren are therefore free to explain to non-Masons, if asked, that Freemasonry is not confined to men (even though this Grand Lodge does not itself admit women). Further information about these bodies may be obtained by writing to the Grand Secretary.
The Board is also aware that there exist other bodies not directly imitative of pure antient Masonry, but which by implication introduce Freemasonry, such as the Order of the Eastern Star. Membership of such bodies, attendance at their meetings, or participation in their ceremonies is incompatible with membership of this Grand Lodge."
Brother Mike,

If one would take the Light that you provided and connect the dots, as Freemasonic Instruction Inculcates continuously, one could not legitimately call upon any lineage to the UGLE to support one's opinion and argument to not legitimately inform females when they ask if there are female Freemasons because by calling upon this lineage, one opens the very door that one is trying to close because UGLE openly states that there exists Female Freemasons who exist and have been Regularly Practicing within the UK for more than 100 years.

Furthermore, if one were to call upon the lineage of the UGLE to condemn and dismiss Female Freemasons, one could not legitimately and authentically refer any female OR MALE to the OES because that same UGLE Lineage CONDEMNS the OES as incompatible with UGLE.

Interesting!

Thanks for sharing this Light.

Coach

Levelhead

Premium Member
Well if the OES is not recognized then thats new light to me, because i was told that it was! So thats understandable about the OES.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Well if the OES is not recognized then thats new light to me, because i was told that it was! So thats understandable about the OES.
It is not allowed for UGLE members. It is for GL of Scotland members. Each GL decides what bodies its members may play in. For instance, Texas and Utah do not allows Widows [sic] Sons. Others do.

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member
Just for completeness: of the three "Home" Grand Lodges only Scotland accepts the practise of OES Chapters, it is proscribed both in England and Ireland.

I remember reading some years ago that the GL of Scotland was blindsided and accepted OES before liaising with the other 2 "Home" Grand Lodges who recognised the implications of expecting a Freemason to act in a Masonic capacity outside of regular Freemasonry.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Ok so me being in florida.. If a woman asks me if she can become a freemason "IN FLORIDA" i will say "no".

Seems like im right back where i started!
You assume that she is asking to join one of the male craft jurisdictions that reside in Florida of which the GL FL is but one. Yes, that specific one is not an option, neither is the PHA GL an option. But there are other options that are viable to her that do not fit your example.

Levelhead

Premium Member
Never heard of one in florida, nor would i know of or care for a non recognized origination either.

So i would have NO recommendation.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Never heard of one in florida, nor would i know of or care for a non recognized origination either...
Well understood. When one does not care, there is little that others can do to provide light that could ever help.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Well, I've wondered about that, given the usual coordination that occurs.
Just for completeness: of the three "Home" Grand Lodges only Scotland accepts the practise of OES Chapters, it is proscribed both in England and Ireland.

I remember reading some years ago that the GL of Scotland was blindsided and accepted OES before liaising with the other 2 "Home" Grand Lodges who recognised the implications of expecting a Freemason to act in a Masonic capacity outside of regular Freemasonry.
ll

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Never heard of one in florida, nor would i know of or care for a non recognized origination either.

So i would have NO recommendation.
While we cannot sit in lodge with any but regular Masons, why would you not want an inquiring individual of any sex to have the benefit of a craft system?

Companion Joe

Premium Member
It's not about not benefitting from a craft system. I'm all for it. Just call it something else. In the U.S., most Masonic organizations have an equivalent group for ladies, but they have their own name. Apparently it isn't worldwide, but in my state and others I have visited, there is a question asked when a candidate first comes to the door of the lodge. The reply is "by being a man..." Therefore, any female Freemason is clandestine. If they want to have lodges and use the ritual word for word, so be it. Just don't call it Freemasonry.

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member
Companion Joe, the difficulty is that it is a bit late to say they can't call it "Freemasonry" as they've already been doing that for over 100 years.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
...Therefore, any female Freemason is clandestine. ...
So, you admit that females CAN be Freemasons, some females ARE Freemasons, and that upon meeting any one of them, you would summarily label her a irregular and clandestine Freemason.

Levelhead

Premium Member
Companion Joe, the difficulty is that it is a bit late to say they can't call it "Freemasonry" as they've already been doing that for over 100 years.
So in the past 200 + years theres an approximate 5 million freemasons living among us. And I've never ever met a female freemason and ONLY seen 1 on tv from England.

This 100 years of female masonry must be a well kept secret!

Levelhead

Premium Member
While we cannot sit in lodge with any but regular Masons, why would you not want an inquiring individual of any sex to have the benefit of a craft system?
They can have the same benefit my wife has. Coming down and enjoying good people, fun get togethers, volunteering right next to me and being around the brothers!

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
So in the past 200 + years theres an approximate 5 million freemasons living among us. And I've never ever met a female freemason and ONLY seen 1 on tv from England.

This 100 years of female masonry must be a well kept secret!
Unless you reconnoitered elsewhere, you yourself did not know the Secrets until you joined the Craft. Female Freemasons are few and far between, but they do live among us, doing their own thing and doing so regardless of any judgments from outside their Craft. Why not simply wish them well and keep no ill-will toward their efforts? Would you not want the same for yourself?

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
They can have the same benefit my wife has. Coming down and enjoying good people, fun get togethers, volunteering right next to me and being around the brothers!
If you believe that is what Freemasonry is about, instead of engaging in a effort to transform yourself from good to better, then I can see why you harbor your views. The females that I know who practice Freemasonry within their Order are not there for the reasons that you put forth. They want to actually do the Work that Transforms them from Good to Better.

What your view offers is not what they seek.

Levelhead

Premium Member
It seems like your very passionate and driven on your co ed Masonic organizations! So why don't you find such an organization , petition to get in (since they do it like we do right?) and contribute to the relief of the non flourishing female membership and help bring your word and strong passions into a greater light to the brethren and your all male home lodge!

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
It seems like your very passionate and driven on your co ed Masonic organizations! So why don't you find such an organization , petition to get in (since they do it like we do right?) and contribute to the relief of the non flourishing female membership and help bring your word and strong passions into a greater light to the brethren and your all male home lodge!
Ah! If you are indeed referring to me, you are assuming things about me that are not. It's clear that you're desperately making effort to personalize the discourse; nice try but I shan't be misdirected by your absurd recommendations. I proudly belong to a Male Craft Order recognized by the UGLE. I recognized very early on that the education that most males receive in male craft orders is limited, biased and incomplete. I have merely not let this reality hold me back from understanding the world better and fuller, Freemasonic or not. My passion is for Light, not filtered and biased dogma. I have no interest whatsoever in changing my affiliation; that would be silly. Furthermore, I have no interest in drinking the kool-aid of narrow Craft dogma either. Females Craft Freemasons are doing very well without us male-craft interfering, especially since they are more interested in quality than quantity and focus upon this aspect always. We could learn a lot from their focused practice, but we won't since we are well-entrenched in our ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.