My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you recite your obligation right now?

dfreybur

Premium Member
I am not familiar with the Cards you are all mentioning.

A few jurisdictions issue cards to brothers certified in the ritual. Only one of my jurisdiction uses cards that way.

The Texas system of C, B and A level certifications use the word "card". Saying you have an "A card" tells what parts (all) of the ritual you are certified to know, deliver (and instruct?).

In California every officer SD and up needs to demonstrate specific parts to be installed. By the time you get installed WM it's much like the Texas C or B card. Every lodge has an appointed Officers Coach who needs to know all of the degrees and common ritual. The Inspectors (called DDGM in most jurisdictions) needs to know that plus much of the monitorial work, much like the Texas A card. One elected Grand Lecturer needs to know it all. No cards but the system is not that different from the card color code system.

In Illinois there are forms for every officer's part that are rarely used. Certified Lodge Instructors who know all ritual and floor work of all degrees and common ritual but not the lectures. Grand Lecturers also need to know all of the lectures (plus the funeral work I think). Grand Lodge Instructors need to also know all of the stage/floor direction and all of the monitorial work. Members of the Committee on Work need to know it all. Here the word used is "certification" rather than "card" but it means something very similar.

otherstar

My understanding of the Texas certification system is that it's primary purpose is to certify instructors so that the work gets passed on as correctly as possible since Texas' work is passed on orally. I've known a few brothers who have A, B, and C Certificates who never work in the degrees, but are excellent candidate instructors. I've known very, very few brothers in Texas that know any of the monitorial portions of the lectures let alone who include those portions when giving the lecture after a degree.

crono782

Premium Member
I have my B currently and have just a tad left on the MM lecture before testing for the A. I currently always do the full form (ritual + monitorial) EA lecture and about half the monitorial FC + ritual. The way it's generally been put to me is the cert certifies you to instruct the content thereof.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

Levelhead

Premium Member
Blue card - know all your chetachisms all three back to back through examimation.
Gold card - know all and lectures, prayers everything.

cemab4y

Premium Member
Can I recite verbatim all of the EA/FC/MM oath that I took over 30 years ago. I admit it, I cannot. BUT- I can recall the main points, and the "gist" of all three oaths. The important concept is to live up to the oaths, in letter and in spirit. If you do this, then you are meeting your obligations, which IMHO, is far more important than just being able to recite them.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
In Tennessee, we have two types of cards in the Blue Lodge: Proficiency and Lecturer.
Lecturer means you can do questions and answers in all three lectures.
Proficiency means you do that plus every part in all three first sections of degree work.
The more card holders your Lodge has gives you extra points during its annual inspection.

jwhoff

Premium Member
Yes. Individually by degree or in mass, building one degree upon another. It takes practice, but not as much as living the obligation. That's the real work for a mere mortal.

JamesMichael

Premium Member
Memorization is great in itself. However like others said before, it doesn't make you a better mason. In my experience sometimes the guy who has all the lines has just that a bunch of lines. Definitely not in every or most cases, but a few. Anyway its the inward man that makes the difference.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
I can recite my EA OB and my FC OB. I can also recite my MM Examination but not the OB because our MM exam does not contain all the furthermores.

phulseapple

Premium Member
Indeed I can, but as others have said that is not the important part. The work is the most important to me.

Levelhead

Premium Member
Shoot I'm going to be going for my silver card next,

To receive that you must know all 3 back to back!

Btw cards might just be a fl thing not sure.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

pointwithinacircle2

Rapscallion
Premium Member
Memorization is great in itself. However like others said before, it doesn't make you a better mason. In my experience sometimes the guy who has all the lines has just that a bunch of lines. Definitely not in every or most cases, but a few. Anyway its the inward man that makes the difference.
"That's true" he replied cautiously, "but it can be difficult to become a better man if you haven't memorized the path".