Candles or Bulbs

Discussion in 'The Voting Booth' started by Blake Bowden, Sep 7, 2009.

?

Should the lesser lights be...

1. Candles

59 vote(s)
    67.8%
  2. Light Bulbs

28 vote(s)
    32.2%
  1. jw21

jw21 Registered User

Candles are sufficient, depending on time and your surroundings. Oil lamps are the best option...they last for hours, depending on the size and they can be reused.

2. Bro_Vick

Bro_Vick Moderator Premium Member

While bulbs seem cheesy and what not, this isn't 1717. Candles are messy, have to be constantly replaced, etc. Also the fire hazard in some of these old lodges would be too great.

I am such a wet blanket. :)

S&F,
    -Bro Vick

3. Cigarzan

Cigarzan Premium Member

Agree with Bro. Vick. Plus, our fans whould play heck with live flames. I like the S&C bulbs. They were at my degrees so I know they're the way to go! ;)

4. dreamer

dreamer Registered User

I am in Lodges where we use bulbs and Lodges where we use candles. For me, candles are the way to go.

5. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

We're an order with tradition. No newfangled LED lights. Use those bulbs the way it's been done as far back as anyone can remember! Chuckle.

Candles are very nice and give an aura to a degree, but they are a fire hazard. Most jurisdictions now have the lesser lights on a single pedestal yet century old pictures show each light on its own pedestal. I take it someone tripped, knocked down a candle and lit some building on fire once decades ago to trigger the switch.

6. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

The two lodgerooms I've been to here have used electric candles. They're better than the bulbs, but still aren't really "three tapers."

7. Browncoat

Browncoat Registered User

My lodge uses bulbs, and they're cheesy...but fire code prohibits using real candles.

8. bezobrazan

bezobrazan Registered User

Why do fire regulations apply to lodges but not churches? They even let children walk with candles over runners.

A true man learns to soften his heart and stiffen his spine.

9. brother josh

brother josh Registered User

Candles keep original tradition going

My Freemasonry

10. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Light bulbs simply for safety and cleanliness.

11. Pete Ramboldt

Pete Ramboldt Registered User

We use candles. They are 1.5" in diameter and about 18" long - made of bees wax. they burn clean and don't drip.

12. Levelhead

Levelhead Premium Member

We use light bulbs with the filament shaped like a s/c inside. Pretty cool looking.

I prefer candles tho.

Share My Freemasonry