My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Candles or Bulbs

Should the lesser lights be...

• Candles

Votes: 59 67.8%
  • Light Bulbs

Votes: 28 32.2%

• Total voters

jw21

Candles are sufficient, depending on time and your surroundings. Oil lamps are the best option...they last for hours, depending on the size and they can be reused.

Bro_Vick

Premium Member
While bulbs seem cheesy and what not, this isn't 1717. Candles are messy, have to be constantly replaced, etc. Also the fire hazard in some of these old lodges would be too great.

I am such a wet blanket. :)

S&F,
-Bro Vick

Cigarzan

Premium Member
Agree with Bro. Vick. Plus, our fans whould play heck with live flames. I like the S&C bulbs. They were at my degrees so I know they're the way to go! ;)

While bulbs seem cheesy and what not, this isn't 1717. Candles are messy, have to be constantly replaced, etc. Also the fire hazard in some of these old lodges would be too great.

I am such a wet blanket. :)

S&F,
-Bro Vick

dreamer

I am in Lodges where we use bulbs and Lodges where we use candles. For me, candles are the way to go.

dfreybur

Premium Member
We're an order with tradition. No newfangled LED lights. Use those bulbs the way it's been done as far back as anyone can remember! Chuckle.

Candles are very nice and give an aura to a degree, but they are a fire hazard. Most jurisdictions now have the lesser lights on a single pedestal yet century old pictures show each light on its own pedestal. I take it someone tripped, knocked down a candle and lit some building on fire once decades ago to trigger the switch.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
The two lodgerooms I've been to here have used electric candles. They're better than the bulbs, but still aren't really "three tapers."

bezobrazan

I asked at my lodge to see why we don't use candles and I was told it had to do with fire regulations. It would be something I want to see at some point. For now I will just say I like the bulbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Freemasonry

Why do fire regulations apply to lodges but not churches? They even let children walk with candles over runners.

A true man learns to soften his heart and stiffen his spine.

Levelhead

Premium Member
We use light bulbs with the filament shaped like a s/c inside. Pretty cool looking.

I prefer candles tho.