My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cowan & Eavesdropper ALERT!!!!!

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
That's very good. I've been to probably 7-10 lodges, in three different states and Canada and have never been examined lol, just my dues card. I hate posting that but it's true.
If it makes you feel better, I recollect I had a dutiful new JD ask for my dues card when I was GM. I happily complied.

CLewey44

If it makes you feel better, I recollect I had a dutiful new JD ask for my dues card when I was GM. I happily complied.

Lol, they hadn't made it to the introductions quite yet I guess. I say it's always better to err on the side of caution. Probably made you feel confident the lodge was doing a good job at guarding the West too.

Bloke

Premium Member
I would never of thought that was a thing.
Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app
We don't use Dues Cards here in UGLV - its travel papers for OS Brothers, and examination in all cases unless known to someone.. that said, we're not as vigilant about it as we should be, but I have examined many Brothers and then vouched for them. We do this before Lodge opens. That said, if I call a lodge asking for help and they give me a phone number and that bro shows up... I would not examine him unless something felt very weird..

Oh - and our Const allows a non-affiliated Brother to visit a lodge once, even if unfinancial.. so even if we introduced Dues Cards, not every Bro would have one...

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
My first visit to a DC lodge, a few months before moving to the area, went like this.

1. I and the brothers examining me all showed our dues card.
2. The senior examiner pulled out the book of lodges while he had my dues card. He then asked me "what days does your lodge meet on?"
3. Signs, grips, and words of each degree. There were a sprinkling of questions regarding ritual as well.
4. The tylers oath.

I must say while this was the most extensive examination I have had normally I have been examined. Maybe Brother Lewey just looks more Masonic than the rest of us ;). Some exams have been formal and others have been relaxed. I actually have a friend who traveled with me in the past and I was the one who always answered for us. He has never been examined. We are not in different lodges and I plan on making him get examined just to tease him a little. It will mainly be so he can be more confident in his abilities as he knows the work.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
A lot of lodges do not examine folks. Sadly, I'd venture to say most do not examine visitors.

I disagree, I’ve been to lodged in OR, AZ, NM, CO, IA and KY. Everyone of them examined me the first time I visited. Hell I went to lodge with Warrior and still got examined as he couldn’t vouch for me yet,

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

MarkR

Premium Member
A rather funny story about visiting lodges in Scotland last year. The first night, my Scottish friend wasn't available, so he arranged with someone else to take me to a lodge. Upon arrival, my host introduced me to the Master of the lodge. He asked "can you vouch for him?" to which he replied, "no, I just met him this evening. Martyn Greene (my friend whom some of you may know from Facebook) told me he's sat in lodge with him." The master replied "oh, well, if Martyn says he's good, that's good enough for me!" So, I was vouched for second-hand by someone who wasn't there.

I was actually kind of looking forward to being examined, to see how they did it in Scotland. Martyn was with me for every other lodge visit on the trip, so it never came up again.

dfreybur

Premium Member
What about juristictions that dont use dues cards?

A dues card is a document printed by the GL signed by the Secretary attesting that you are a member in good standing.

Not all jurisdictions use documents that look like cards and not all documents call them dues cards.

If they don't take your dues card ask if they will take a document printed by the GL signed by the Secretary attesting that you are a member in good standing. They will say that is good enough to get you examined by the tiler. Hand them your dues card.

Elexir

A dues card is a document printed by the GL signed by the Secretary attesting that you are a member in good standing.

Not all jurisdictions use documents that look like cards and not all documents call them dues cards.

If they don't take your dues card ask if they will take a document printed by the GL signed by the Secretary attesting that you are a member in good standing. They will say that is good enough to get you examined by the tiler. Hand them your dues card.

We get a membership card that we use to registrer our visits. Its a plastic card (think a credit card) and it dont show on the outside if we are on time with dues or anything like that. We have a masonic passport if we travel that is signed by our lodges sec and the grand sec.

acjohnson53

No, its not that PHA ( Prince Hall Affiliated) lodges are the offspring of African Lodge #459.. warranted by the Grand Lodge of England..forebearer of United Grand Lodge of England. Therefore technically speaking PHA lodges who trace their lineage to the MWPHGL of MA, would regular even though we call ourselves Prince Hall Affiliated..I recognize my regular and or mainstream brethren as I'm obligated to do and as my heart has love for all my brethren. The term that the only mason is a Prince Hall mason is wrong. God Bless

Sent from my GT-N8013 using My Freemasonry HD mobile app
Preach Hiram/G\

Raymond Walters

Premium Member
I wonder if he has a forged dues card or "travelling papers" from one or more of the Lodges he claims to hold membership. If that is the case, and he knows the AWOAMM and the FPOF short of posting an "UNwanted" poster in the examining room with his face on it, how is an examining committee supposed to determine that he is clandestine, especially if he is willing to lie when taking the oath?

This link shows a previous attempt by Weston Jarvis to forge documentation about holding membership in a regular lodge/ grand lodge he was NOT a member of *** https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152208320571594&set=a.10152010903501594&type=3&theater

Link to the original photo album post I made years ago on this topic *** https://www.facebook.com/raymond.s.walters/media_set?set=a.10152010903501594.525166593&type=3

Canadian Paul

To the best of my knowledge, lodges in Scotland don't have Dues Cards. However, the Scottish lodges here in Canada do! My Dues Card was issiued by my lodge and has the lodge seal embossed on it.

Coincidentally, on June 5th my lodge is having a 'Seal Flipper Dinner' as a fundraiser - but that is a completely different kind of seal to the one on my Dues Card!

(I kid you not about the seal flippers - they are really the 'shoulder roast' from a seal. One of them will make a meal for one person. They are a traditional spring meal here and a common fundraiser for organisations and a very interesting experience for visitors! We also offer pork loin as an alternative.)