My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does a woman have to come to OES first?

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Glen, can something like the OES actually be "recognised" or is it simply not declared clandestine and hence in such Constitutions, we can join it ?
These are the standards for recondition of Masonic grand lodges. That said, in the case of the clandestine rectified rite, an opinion was given as to its irregularity.
The Commission only offers its recommendations to the sovereign grand lodges.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Glen, can something like the OES actually be "recognised" or is it simply not declared clandestine and hence in such Constitutions, we can join it ?

When I have seen recognition votes for GLs they have been recognition as peer sovereign jurisdictions. I remember a grand representative from a new jurisdiction in Eastern Europe making a tour of GL meetings asking for votes. He gave a short speech. We voted. Extremely few objected. Whack. Done.

When I have seen recognition votes for appendent bodies they have been subsidiary to our own GL. I remember a club of Professional Engineers requesting recognition which as far as I could tell only allowed them to only admit Brothers and to use the S&C on their newsletter.

One reason the Shrine regularly butts heads with GLs is they are a single international order but in each state they are subsidiary to at least one GL yet they don't much have a state level of organization. One reason the Scottish Rite regularly cooperates with GLs is they do have a state level in their hierarchy so in each state there is a mechanism to be subsidiary. I think the OES have an organization more like the SR than like the Shrine - There are OES state grand lines and state meetings.

At least that's how it works in my jurisdictions in the US and the other US jurisdictions I know about.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
These are the standards for recondition of Masonic grand lodges. That said, in the case of the clandestine rectified rite, an opinion was given as to its irregularity.
Brothewr other then Wikipedia where can I find info on the Rectified rite?

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Bro. Cook, please forgive me for jumping in here, but "recognition" (as discussed above) only applies to Masonic GLs. AFAIK, every GL reserves the right to decide what other organizations, which require Masonic membership, that GL's members may join. That's an entirely different form of "recognition".

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Bro. Cook, please forgive me for jumping in here, but "recognition" (as discussed above) only applies to Masonic GLs. AFAIK, every GL reserves the right to decide what other organizations, which require Masonic membership, that GL's members may join. That's an entirely different form of "recognition".

thats what he said here Brother.

Sent from my LG-H811 using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

Bloke

Premium Member
Thanks for the replies. My question on OES was not one I've thought much about but will quiz our grand sec and registrar next time i see them. We definitely declare organisations as outside freemasonry and when the Shrine arrived here a few years ago, that was endorsed by GL.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Correct. These are the standards for recondition of Masonic grand lodges. The GLs separately decide whether an appendant body meets their own standards for acceptance. Thus, you have differing opinions on a motorcycle group or youth group, not being based upon notices of regularity but of adherence to the overseeing power of the GL. That said, in the case of the clandestine rectified rite, an opinion was given as to its irregularity.

SimonM

The Grand Encampment have returned their charter for CBCS, so GPA seems to be the only ones who confer these degrees in the US.

Edit:
Confered by masonic organisations that is. Since CBCS is just as Martinistic as Masonic there are several Martinist organisations who have proper linages and can confer the degrees.

Last edited:

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
  1. I excerpt from an earlier post on this list

" First of all, the organization created by William H. Koon, II, immediate Past Grand Master of the Grand Encampment of Knights Templar, was officially called "The Grand Priory of the Reformed and Rectified Rite of the U.S.A." Note that the word "Scottish" does not appear in that title. It purported to confer the degrees of the old "Rectified Scottish Rite." Note that the word "Reformed" does not appear in the name of the Rite. The word "Reformed" only appeared in the title of Koon's bogus organization. It is true that the Grand Master's Decision issued in October included the word "Scottish" in reference to Koon's organization, but this was in error.

Secondly, Brother Wunsche stated that Texas Masons are not allowed to receive the degrees of the CBCS. The term "CBCS" is short for "Chevaliers Bienfaisants de la Cite Sainte," or Knights Beneficent of the Holy City, and refers to one of the degrees of the Rectified Scottish Rite. This is confusing, I know. But, the term "CBCS" has, for a long time, been a substitute term for the Rectified Scottish Rite, however incorrect it may be.

Nevertheless, the Grand Master's Decision did not bar Texas Masons from taking the degrees of the Rectified Scottish Rite. It barred them from accepting "an invitation from the Grand Encampment of Knights Templar, or any related Masonic body, to take the three 'Masonic' degrees of the Grand Priory of the Scottish Reformed and Rectified Rite of the United States of America." In other words, it affirmed the position that Koon's "Grand Priory of the U.S.A." was irregular. The Rectified Scottish Rite is not irregular. But, the Grand Priory of the U.S.A. IS irregular.

The original old "Great Priory of America" which received a charter in 1934 is THE regular Great Priory of the Order in this country. Koon's irregular body was a usurper.

In answer to the question, "What makes them (the Grand Priory of the Reformed and Rectified Rite of the U.S.A.) irregular?" the answer is simple but multifaceted. I will ennumerate:

1.) It turns out that Wm. H. Koon II, PGM of the Grand Encampment, did not have a "charter" as he claimed. Rather, all he had was "letters of permission" allowing him and the Grand Encampment to confer the degrees of the Rectified Scottish Rite. So, the "Grand Priory" that he created was self-created and not "chartered" after all.

2.) The letters of permission were issued to Brother Koon by the Great Priory of Occitania, which is itself an irregular Great Priory of the Rectified Scottish Rite. There are only nine regular Great Priories of the Order in the world, located in Switzerland (the Mother Great Priory), America, England, France, Belgium and others, and they are all recognized by the Mother Great Priory in Switzerland, and all nine recognize each other. But, the "Great Priory of Occitania" is not one of them. Undoubtedly, there are other irregular and unrecognized "Great Priories" that confer the degrees of the Rectified Scottish Rite, just as there are irregular grand lodges that also confer the first three degrees.

3.) There is an annual conference of "Great Bodies in Amity" which includes three types of organizations: Knights Templar, Rectified Scottish Rite, and Swedish Rite Grand Lodges. I believe these are all listed in the Triennial proceedings of the Grand Encampment. If you look at that list, you will never see the "Great Priory of Occitania." Nevertheless, in December 2009, in his "Christmas Message" posted on the Grand Encampment website, Brother Koon stated that they had received a charter from "our good friends" at the Great Priory of Occitania. The immediate question that arises is: How did this obscure irregular Great Priory in southern France get to be such 'good friends' with Brother Koon and the Grand Encampment if they are not listed in the most recent Conference of Great Bodies in Amity? The only answer is that they became his good friends when they allegedly gave him a charter. Although, now we know that they did NOT give him a charter, but only "letters of permission."

4.) In early 2010, if you had gone to the website for this Great Priory of Occitania, you would have seen that the Grand Lodge of Occitania shared the website with the higher bodies of the Rectified Scottish Rite in Occitania. Obviously, the Grand Lodge is as irregular, unrecognized and virtually unheard of as the higher bodies of Occitania. An organizational chart that appeared on their website showed that the Grand Lodge and its Grand Master were subordinate to the Provincial Directory and Provincial Master of the Order, an arrangement that would have, by itself, made the Grand Lodge irregular.

5.) In 2010 there was only one regular and recognized Grand Lodge in France, and it was not the "Grand Lodge of Occitania" by a long shot. Therefore, any concordant body of that Grand Lodge would have been equally irregular.

6.) If you had gone to their website in early 2010 (and it may still be there) the Great Priory and Grand Lodge of Occitania had a list of links to other Grand and Great bodies with which they were "in amity" or recognition. Every one of these grand bodies listed (except one) was irregular and unrecognized, beginning with the Grand Orient of France (which admits women and atheists) and its concordant "Independent Great Priory of France," to the Grand Orient of Switzerland, equally as irregular. Of the twelve grand bodies in amity or relation with the Grand Lodge and Great Priory of Occitania, the one grand body that was listed that was not irregular was ... our Grand Encampment of the U.S.A. So, our Grand Encampment of the K.T. is caught in an embarrassing situation - listed alongside eleven irregular bodies, some of which admit atheists.

I could go on, but I think six reasons for irregularity should suffice."

Ecossais, Feb 22, 2013ReportBookmark
    #7LikeReply
    End quote

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
This information is a few years old but might be a good starting point.
http://freemasonsfordummies.blogspot.se/2010/12/grand-priory-of-scottish-reformed.html

Personally I feel that the CBCS ( as the rectified rite often is refered to) is a great high degree system that I really recommend to anyone intrested in the christian templar theme.
However, membership in the US is problematic, as technically the GEKT still forbids membership the Rite. Further, membership in the Rite is currently limited as a percentage of Masonic membership of that state.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
This information is a few years old but might be a good starting point.
http://freemasonsfordummies.blogspot.se/2010/12/grand-priory-of-scottish-reformed.html

I am afraid my friend Chris' bias in this issue should be noted, as should my contrary (but obviously correct) bias. Br Koon had people pay substantial sums for this clandestine order. Some GLs subsequently forbade not only membership in the clandestine group, but took action regarding KT. English KT threatened to take action against GEKT as well. With the change in leadership of GEKT and the dismissal of their law suit, the clandestine activity ceased.