My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Falsely claiming masonic membership?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rifleman1776

In my opinion, still bizzare. A demit is quitting. Even changing lodges, one is 'out' until voted into the new lodge. I have been through it. Years ago I demited out of all York Rite bodies. It is unlikely any would allow me to visit.

Mindovermatter Ace

In many states, it is illegal to impersonate or deceive someone into thinking you are a mason. In the past some people have been arrested, prosecuted, convicted, jailed and fined for impersonating a Mason. Because Grand Lodges do not put as much effort into the prevention of spurious mason, it's become a growing epidemic in America.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
In many states, it is illegal to impersonate or deceive someone into thinking you are a mason. In the past some people have been arrested, prosecuted, convicted, jailed and fined for impersonating a Mason. Because Grand Lodges do not put as much effort into the prevention of spurious mason, it's become a growing epidemic in America.
After Alvarez, such statutes likely are invalid.

Rifleman1776

I find that highly unlikely. I believe you have been misinformed. A state would not bother to make laws regarding membership in a private organization. Please list those states which you claim have such laws and post just one of those supposed laws.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor

Mindovermatter Ace

I find that highly unlikely. I believe you have been misinformed. A state would not bother to make laws regarding membership in a private organization. Please list those states which you claim have such laws and post just one of those supposed laws.

Actually there are laws specifically for masons in the states of New York and Kentucky.

Are you aware that this has been taken to court numerous times in courts across the country?

The most prominent one being the Matthew Thomson fraud case.

Aaron Christopher

Last edited:

Rifleman1776

Actually there are laws specifically for masons in the states of New York and Kentucky.

Are you aware that this has been taken to court numerous times in courts across the country?

Aaron Christopher
Cervantes #5
Grand Lodge of Louisiana F&AM
No. I am not aware of and of that. Time spent searching for something about your comment came up with nothing . Please provide specifics.

Joe Ellis

https://UniqueFreemason.com
Premium Member
Brethren, I was wondering if it is illegal to falsely claim masonic membership? In a way it is similar to walking around with a veteran's hat and never served, or wearing a class ring and never attended school. These examples are not extremely similar but I found them to be close enough to prove my point.

It is possible, within England, to face a charge of false misrepresentation. If you say you are something and are not, in English law, it is illegal.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Rh

Aaron Christopher
Cervantes #5
As you may surmise, I am familiar with Thompson. In that case, it was common law fraud, as he had taken money. Now that could apply to many of the bogus GLs

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Thanks. It reads, although they couldn't enforce the stolen valor law, Alvarez was still imprisoned on fraud charges. I guess I would be difficult to prove clandestine organizations are attempting to defraud when many believe they are acting in good faith.

Aaron Christopher
Cervantes #5
The topic here was simply claiming you are a Mason. I believe selling the degrees could be subject to a fraud prosecution. See Thompson

Mindovermatter Ace

The topic here was simply claiming you are a Mason. I believe selling the degrees could be subject to a fraud prosecution. See Thompson

Noted. But are not degrees essentially sold because you incur a fee prior to receiving them?

My perception is that spurious Freemasonry is fraudulent in the sense that people are unwilling victims and purchase degrees with no merit in the recognized Masonic world, and are operating on the boundaries of loopholes between Masonic jurisprudence and common law.

There are plenty of courts that have scrutinized spurious freemasonry while others have been conservative.

Aaron Christopher
Cervantes #5

The Traveling Man

He is not misinformed. Many states have similar laws.

Michigan Law states:

Unlawful Use of Name and Insignia:
Whenever there shall be an actual or threatened violation of the above act, an application may be made to the court or judge having jurisdiction to issue an injunction upon notice to the defendant or defendants of not less than 5 days, for an injunction so restraining such actual or threatened violation, or if it shall appear to such court or justice that the defendant or defendants is or are in fact using the name of a military, ex-military, patriotic, benevolent, humane, fraternal or charitable corporation or organization, or a name so nearly resembling it as to be calculated to deceive the public, or is wearing or exhibiting the recognized or established badge, insignia or emblem of such corporation or organization without authority thereof and in violation of the above act, an injunction may be issued by said court or justice enjoining or restraining such actual or threatened violation, without requiring proof that any person has in fact been misled or deceived thereby.

There are a few other laws in Michigan with similar wordings, and a few laws pertaining specifically to Freemasonry.

dfreybur

Premium Member
There may be laws, but public prosecutors are not interested in what to them appear to be trademark battles.

Our jurisdictions have tiny legal budgets and I would not have that otherwise. We lack the ability to drive out clandestine jurisdictions for financial reasons everywhere, legal reasons depending on the state. I would rather have this happen than GL have the legal budget to go around suing random folks.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
There may be laws, but public prosecutors are not interested in what to them appear to be trademark battles.

Our jurisdictions have tiny legal budgets and I would not have that otherwise. We lack the ability to drive out clandestine jurisdictions for financial reasons everywhere, legal reasons depending on the state. I would rather have this happen than GL have the legal budget to go around suing random folks.
Yeah. We leave that up to GEKT. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.