My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fitness with Fellow Masons

Txmason

Howdy y'all!

I'm Jerry and I'm searching for a way to get fit. I walk as much as I can, but I know I need to do more! I would like to know if any Brothers on here are Certified Fitness Experts or Instructors that could help me. Such as putting together a fitness plan or even someone to workout with would be great! I'm from the Montgomery, Texas area and would be willing to meet with a Brother. I would appreciate any help that can be offered as my health depends on it. Too much Blue Bell!

Best,
Jerry

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
After being put on blood pressure medicine a couple of months at age 35, I decided to start working out. Here's what I'm doing:

45 Mins on elliptical machine
2 Miles walking
4 Miles biking
Eat right with a well balanced meal
No sodas
No alcohol

I went from 205 to 175 and my blood pressure and resting pulse have dropped dramatically. Instead of being a workout, it's turned into a daily habit. It's amazing how great I now feel. I just got a membership at the wellness center so I can start pumping some iron..lol.

I'm not a fitness expert, but just a daily walk does wonders!

MikeMay

Premium Member
Blake has the right idea...walking more, cutting out the soda's, drinking more water and eating better has me down to 236 from 252. By December I am hoping to be down to 195 which will be the first time under 200 in over two decades...

Txmason

Do you all know of any brothers that are certified fitness experts or how I might go about starting to exercise? I am thinking about trying martial arts. Any ideas?

Jerry

chrisu0017

Not a fitness expert by any means, but if you are interested in weights, look up the program "Starting Strength".

Mlugo1247

Premium Member
I am 31 years olds and work out quite a bit. I started off with "body building.com" it is an excellent site to start a meal amd fitness plan. As for martial arts I do Brizilian Jiu Jitsu at Carlson Gracie Texas. Its great cardio and you learn a particular set of skills that not many people have.

jweium

Well, I am training for a triathlon, swimming is the best way to get fit because running puts too much pressure on the knees. I love to swim

Txmason

What do you do for your swimming routine? That is something I have been thinking about swimming. I hear it is good for your joints. And I hear it's good for if you have a disability which I do. I have access to a pool and a very very large lake. If you have any tips let me know.

Best
Jerry

jwhoff

Premium Member
little short of money these days. But, in the past, I hired my running and weigh work done. Felt pretty good about it too.

Roach

When it comes to martial arts look for schools that really what to help you and not just put you through their belt system. I study KUK SOOL WON a Korean style art I think there is a school in the Woodlands if you like to look them up. I study in Missouri City which is about an hour from you. Look into taking an intro class to see what you think its free and it'll let you know thats what you are looking for. Here is a link to my school as well as a link to military style workouts that i refer to ideas. Good Luck

http://www.kuksoolwonmissouricity.com/
http://www.military.com/military-fitness/

Chad Genovese

Im a certified martial arts instructor and personal trainer..

I would back slightly off the cardio, and start a lifting regimine.. Lifting may not burn as many calories at the time of the workout, however your body is in high gear for up to 72hours aft your workout.. You will burn more calories in tge days to follow.

SeattleMason0613

Exercise all you want it's what you put in your body that counts so start with a firm low fat no dairy diet and start adding some moderate cardio to start off with exercise

4 years experience in bodybuilding and nutrition

My Freemasonry HD

dfreybur

Premium Member
Exercise all you want it's what you put in your body that counts so start with a firm low fat no dairy diet and start adding some moderate cardio to start off with exercise

Exercise for loss - The calorie equivalent of pound of fat is a marathon of effort and it's worse than that because only a percentage of exercise effort is drawn from stored fat. Plus when you start a new exercise regime the muscles store glycogen for as much as a month causing water gain so exercise can actually mask several pounds of lose.

Exercise for maintenance - That pound of fat calorie equivalent works well when compared to regain rates. Get up to the point you run 2-3 miles most days and the calories from your exercise program comes close to common regain rates. So exercise does work very well to prevent regain.

Low fat - Triggers endless irresistible hunger in vast numbers of people. Feel free to try it once and see if it works for you but it it does not work for you, and it does not work for the majority of the population, pay no attention to the false propaganda about low fat being healthy. It's only healthy for the people who don't get hungry when doing low fat. The idea that any food item is healthy because it's low fat is on the lips of many people but it is false.

Try several different diet types. Find one that works okay for you. Keep trying on that type. Don't just keep trying and trying on one that fails for you just because most people say it's the only way to go.

If a food makes you more hungry not less, that food isn't good for you. Don't worry about how someone else reacts because different people react to different foods.

Dairy - Problematic for some not for others. Go about two weeks dairy free and see if you notice any change in your health. Probably not. It's hard to tell improving health so even if you do get benefits it's hard to tell. Then add dairy back in and see if you notice any change in your health. Probably not. Only a minority of people in the western world have problems with dairy. But it is easier to notice declining health. If adding dairy back causes problems drop it and never look back.

Try that same pattern with other foods, too. As many people have problems with wheat but don't know it as have problems with dairy but don't know it. In both cases a sizable minority.

Zaden

www.movnat.com
MovNat uses natural human movement (running, climbing, jumping, lifting, throwing etc.) for fitness. You can do it anywhere. There are certified instructors (I am one, in addition to teaching Parkour), but you can do quite a bit on your own using the MOD's ("Movement/s Of the Day") they post on the blog (with video's going over the movements included for the day). The "system" covers everything from joint mobility, general fitness and strength, as well as more "mundane" things like proper posture for non-workout times.

SeattleMason0613

Dairy contains lactaids which is another form of sugar so I highly recommend not consuming it, I eat potatoes, yams, brown rice during the day and at night I get my carbs from veggies it's best to eat every 2-3 hours to keep your metabolism firing.

My Freemasonry HD

Texan92

Thanks SeattleMason0613 did not think of milk products that way guess I will have to give up my 1/2 cup of cottage cheese. But I won't give up my 1cup milk 2x a day. I mix my protein with it. Also track your food with some sort of journal.

My Freemasonry HD