My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fraternal Greetings from Scotland

Gordon Keane

Good afternoon brethren

I joined the craft earlier this year and have just been installed as Jr Deacon in my lodge.

I am very proud as this is a 250 year old lodge which is strong in numbers, so I am humbled to be in such a position early in my masonic career.

Any advice on books or resources to read to enhance my masonic knowledge, or to assist in my role as Jr Deacon will be received gratefully.

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
Let me be the first one to Welcome you to the online community here!

Lots to see and learn here. Take your time, enjoy.

Bloke

Premium Member
Good afternoon brethren

I joined the craft earlier this year and have just been installed as Jr Deacon in my lodge.

I am very proud as this is a 250 year old lodge which is strong in numbers, so I am humbled to be in such a position early in my masonic career.

Any advice on books or resources to read to enhance my masonic knowledge, or to assist in my role as Jr Deacon will be received gratefully.
Greetings and welcome.

A great way to build your skills is to visit and watch experienced deacons. As you gain experience, you will be able to see all their mistakes :) I am not sure of GLS has a book of workings - but ask about it. These, more than just ritual books, have a lot more detail on how to move in the lodge.

I became a proficient deacon by working as one in more than one lodge. I did not join them, but visited, and in announcing I was a deacon in my lodge, any DC or WM looking for a fillin might think of you if their number are thin. I spent years acting as inner guard for a daughter lodge of ours.. started when I was IG and sadly saw the Lodge pass its warrant in when I was WM of my mother lodge... but acting as IG sure gave me a lot of exposure.

One thing for sure - make sure you got to your own rehearsal, and ask if there is lodge of instruction or trainng lodge - or even better - a deacon school. There was a deacon school here, but it stopped running several years before I was initiated - but people still take about it, and you can often tell those who went as they moved around a lodge room with precision.

I would say over the years I've acted as deacon in not less than 6-7 lodges. Only ever been installed as one in my own mother lodge, but am often ready to answer the call to help. That's even seen me sit in the east as a visitor for a degree.

I guess this was all driven by being a bit of a perfectionist, and wanting to give the candidates they best experience they can get - you only ever get to do each degree once (well, there are exceptions - but that's a different thread!). I also aspired to become a ritual and ceremonial expert, and the best way to get there is by immersing yourself in ritual and ceremonial and a good way to do it is by helping out other lodges - it also gives you exposures to other Directors (or whatever title you might know them - the guys who run the degree on the floor). I was very fortunately to deacon for one of the best in the business, a great Past Grand Director who was DC at one of my two Craft Lodges. I ended up taking over from him.

Congrats on your investiture as deacon :)

Gordon Keane

Greetings and welcome.

A great way to build your skills is to visit and watch experienced deacons. As you gain experience, you will be able to see all their mistakes :) I am not sure of GLS has a book of workings - but ask about it. These, more than just ritual books, have a lot more detail on how to move in the lodge.

I became a proficient deacon by working as one in more than one lodge. I did not join them, but visited, and in announcing I was a deacon in my lodge, any DC or WM looking for a fillin might think of you if their number are thin. I spent years acting as inner guard for a daughter lodge of ours.. started when I was IG and sadly saw the Lodge pass its warrant in when I was WM of my mother lodge... but acting as IG sure gave me a lot of exposure.

One thing for sure - make sure you got to your own rehearsal, and ask if there is lodge of instruction or trainng lodge - or even better - a deacon school. There was a deacon school here, but it stopped running several years before I was initiated - but people still take about it, and you can often tell those who went as they moved around a lodge room with precision.

I would say over the years I've acted as deacon in not less than 6-7 lodges. Only ever been installed as one in my own mother lodge, but am often ready to answer the call to help. That's even seen me sit in the east as a visitor for a degree.

I guess this was all driven by being a bit of a perfectionist, and wanting to give the candidates they best experience they can get - you only ever get to do each degree once (well, there are exceptions - but that's a different thread!). I also aspired to become a ritual and ceremonial expert, and the best way to get there is by immersing yourself in ritual and ceremonial and a good way to do it is by helping out other lodges - it also gives you exposures to other Directors (or whatever title you might know them - the guys who run the degree on the floor). I was very fortunately to deacon for one of the best in the business, a great Past Grand Director who was DC at one of my two Craft Lodges. I ended up taking over from him.

Congrats on your investiture as deacon :)
Thank you for such a thorough post. I am just home from our practise run for tomorrow's meeting. Really looking forward to it. I am ready to immerse myself in the workings of the order :)

Bloke

Premium Member
Thank you for such a thorough post. I am just home from our practise run for tomorrow's meeting. Really looking forward to it. I am ready to immerse myself in the workings of the order :)
Just call me Chatty McChatty :) Every success at your next meeting :)

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member
Good afternoon brethren

Hello and another welcome from south of the Border :)

KSigMason

Traveling Templar
Site Benefactor
Good afternoon brethren

Greeings and welcome to this forum.

You may check this book out: https://www.amazon.com/Our-Stations-Places-Officers-Handbook/dp/1613422326