My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freemasonry and broader social trends

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
Introduction

Is there any association between Freemasonry and broader social trends in the modern world? It's fairly easy to point to great movements of the past, such as the involvement of Masons in the Enlightenment and the American Revolution. Mexico suffered from what has been called "Masonic Wars", wherein the made-in-France monarchist Scottish Rite was a binding force for Centralists (Santa Ana's faction) and the York rite for Republicans. Many other masonic associations could be found in the past, but what is there in the present?

It would be easy to point to institutionalized charitable work, such as the Shriners' hospitals, but how long this particular example will remain Masonic-associated is another issue, altogether, dependent upon the Shrine's ongoing relationship with Freemasonry. Likewise, other institutional charitable acts are not to be sneezed at--but any organization can pass the hat and donate the proceeds. There is nothing particularly Masonic about that.

We are told that Freemasonry is more than just a charitable association, that it exists for the regeneration of men and, by extension, of society in general, but how can we tell? I was moved to ask that question on a concrete basis by a recently-released report on teenage pregnancy. I did not necessarily agree with its categorization of 18-19 year olds as "teenage pregnancy", although they are technically "teenagers". They are also legally adults and presumably to be treated as such--they certainly demand to be treated as such at that age. Fortunately, the report also had more detailed data, including pregnancies for each US state and the District of Columbia for all children under the age 18. Likewise, it had numbers of births, abortions, and miscarriages. This is not a pleasant thing to contemplate, but it is an important moral and social matter.

The Masonic Service Association has published membership by state for the 51 Grand Lodges of the USA. Since the report on pregnancy was based on 2008 figures, I used the 2008 Masonic membership. Finally, to standardize the raw figures for each individual state, I obtained population estimates by age and gender from the US Census American Fact Finder, also for 2008. Analysis was done with the R statistical package.

The question I asked was "Is there any relationship between the frequency of Freemasons and that of underage pregnancy within each state? I will give brief technical notes on my analysis after presenting results, since the are quite dry. I was also interested in possible regional effects, so I divided the states into seven regions (Table 1).

NortheastConnecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont
MidwestIllinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin
SoutheastDC, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia
Mid-SouthAlabama, Arkansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, Tennessee, West Virginia
SouthwestArizona, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas
MountainColorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Utah, Wyoming
WestAlaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington

These regions are somewhat arbitrary.

Results

First, comparing Freemason membership per state showed that there was a negative relationship between the frequency of Freemasons, expressed as Freemasons vs. total men age 18 and over, and the frequency of underage pregnancy, expressed as incidence of pregnancy under age 18 vs. total female population under age 18 (Fig. 1).

fig1a.gif

The figure shows a negative relationship between Freemasonry and underage pregnancy. As Freemasons are more frequent, underage pregnancy is less frequent. The "Trend" line is a logistic regression (see "Analysis" section) between frequency of Freemasons frequency of underage pregnancy (n out of m, where n is pregnancy and m total girls under age 18). Gray "fan" on either side of the Trend line is 95% confidence intervals. A few states lie outside the 95% confidence intervals. The biggest high outlier is Washington, DC. The lone high outlying Southwestern state is not Texas, so we can breathe a sigh of relief. Midwestern, Mountain, and Western states were the most common low outliers, with less incidence of underage pregnancy than the model would predict. The prominent Northeastern low outlier is New Hampshire.

To investigate this further, I looked out "outcomes" from pregnancy, expressed as births, abortions, and miscarriages. Logistic regression of each revealed relationships between each and Freemasonry (Figs 2-4).

fig2.giffig3.giffig4.gif
Where Freemasonry was more common, pregnancy tended to result in more births (Fig. 2). Likewise, where Freemasonry was more common, abortions were less common (Fig. 3). It may be noteworthy that those states that had levels of abortion that were outside the 95% confidence interval tended to be close to each other. One could almost say that the USA might have an "Abortion Belt", that would include Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, Vermont, and DC. Borderline Abortion Belt states would be Maine and Massachusetts. However, even within the Abortion Belt, frequency of Freemasonry associated with lower frequency of abortion as an outcome of pregnancy. You may note that the Abortion Belt states also have low birth as outcome of pregnancy. This is probably an artifact of those states' high preference for abortion. It should be noted that miscarriages also increased as Freemasonry was more common (Fig. 4).

I decided to look into this more closely. A little simple calculation showed that, while the frequency of miscarriage did rise along with Freemasonry, the specific rate vs. births decreased as Freemasonry increased. Thus, births rose more quickly than did miscarriages. A line that presumed a constant relationship between births and miscarriages was outside the 95% confidence limits for miscarriages (Fig. 5).
fig5.gif

But how strong are these relationships? I chose to use a "pseudo-R squared", derived from the deviation and null deviation of each analysis (see "Analysis"). These relationships are not extremely strong, ranging from 0.12 to 0.16. However, taking the square roots and comparing them to standard effect size categories for "r" raises the possibility that "moderate" associations might exist (taken from a social science standpoint).

Discussion

This is not a conclusive study. It barely qualifies as a "study" at all. Can we claim that Freemasonry prevents underage pregnancy and abortions? No. That would be outlandish. What we can say is that something is driving these social elements in their respective directions. Perhaps states that have an overall stronger moral fiber are more likely to have men who would be attracted to Freemasonry. Such a moral fiber would also be reflected in lower underage pregnancy and less desire to rush headlong into abortion as a "solution" when it occurs. It is not a matter of economic comfort, as many poorer states do not have unusually high rates of teenage pregnancy vs. Freemason membership. Likewise, we cannot blame convenient targets like "too much education", since, while states such as New York and Connecticut are in the Abortion Belt, other states with high educational attainment are far from it.

Looking at this issue from the standpoint of Freemasonry, it appears that whatever attracts men to join our Fraternity may also have benefits to society as a whole, regardless of overall education and wealth. Whether these benefits are a result of Freemasonry, this very short, simple work cannot say. It is far more prudent to say that there is likely to be some underlying social current that influences both Freemasonry and the behavior of our youth. It would be pleasant to contemplate the possibility that Freemasonry may contribute to this in a sort of "virtuous circle". However, if this is the case, it only means that Freemasons cannot rest upon our laurels. Indeed, the positive association between Freemasonry and miscarriages could underline that there is work to do in an area of medical charity that may not currently receive much attention from the fraternity.

Analysis
As mentioned, I used the "R environment" for this analysis, with the "car" package for some functions. The data actually consist of "n out of m" samples, in which "n" pregnancies occur out of "m" girls under age 18, and then "n" births, abortions, or miscarriages occur out of "m" births. This sort of situation requires what is called a "logistic" regression, which, for various statistical reasons, reflects the behavior of such numbers better than a standard ordinary least squares regression (if you even remember having done one of those years ago in school). I used the "glm" function to run these regressions. Pseudo R-square was calculated for each analysis by the equation 1-((Residual Deviance)/(Null Deviance)). Deviances were as reported by glm. The square roots of these were taken to produce "pseudo-r" numbers. Interpreting these should be done with great caution, as the R-square actually only strictly applies to conventional regression, not logistic.

Confidence intervals were calculated with the "Boot" command from car, 10000 bootstraps. The coefficients were then used to calculate trend lines and back-converted (inverse logit) to map onto the far more comprehensible "percent" scale rather than a logit scale. Geographical regions were loosely based on US Census regions but severely adjusted using no scientific criteria--just a rule of thumb.

Last edited:

jvarnell

Premium Member
I am not sure if I should coment on this because of bryans status but, here I go I can take any two peaces of data like this and show a point of view that is always wrong. To me this study needs more influances on pregnicy than just Masonery, it needs to have a majority of societal things that could in fluance pregnicy. This is just how the global warming guy left out sun spots in worming of the earth to show there point.

I always say you can't just coralate 2 things. This should have been a hive study.

These days we do toomany outcome based studys and not enough studies just to see the coralations of the vast inputs that could be used.

widows son

Premium Member
Interesting piece of information Bryan. Maybe masonry does influence these trends. I'm sure religion has an impact on these numbers too. States that have a higher religious population would probably have a lower teen pregnancy rate, as well as abortion rate. But perhaps those states where higher Masonic membership and lower teen pregnancy etc, has to do with the influence masons have on their families, and in turn gets passed to other family and to friends? It's tough to see how masons can effect these numbers though, I mean its not like we sit down every teen and prevent them from getting pregnant

ilir

There are too many variables involved to make a valid or accepted assessment. It is a logical fallacy to utilize a small amount of statistical data and broadly bunch these items and values together.

jvarnell

Premium Member
There are too many variables involved to make a valid or accepted assessment. It is a logical fallacy to utilize a small amount of statistical data and broadly bunch these items and values together.

That is what I tried to say. Your right.

RedTemplar

Johnny Joe Combs
Premium Member
This study should be submitted to the Federal Govt. A huge grant could then be obtained to take this matter to the next level.

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
Allow me to actually quote myself:

It barely qualifies as a "study" at all. Can we claim that Freemasonry prevents underage pregnancy and abortions? No. That would be outlandish. What we can say is that something is driving these social elements in their respective directions. Perhaps states that have an overall stronger moral fiber are more likely to have men who would be attracted to Freemasonry.

I wrote those specific words in this post. Let me repeat myself:

Can we claim that Freemasonry prevents underage pregnancy and abortions? No. That would be outlandish. What we can say is that something is driving these social elements in their respective directions. Perhaps states that have an overall stronger moral fiber are more likely to have men who would be attracted to Freemasonry.

Can any of the of detractors please come forth with any quote at all in which I draw a causal conclusion that contradicts my own statement? Please reproduce the sentence wherein I made a causal claim. I'd like to see it.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Bro Bryan,

The population table you cited from the MSA goes back one century. GL Masonry will have seen three centuries in a few years. Looking on a longer scale shows a different trend than looking at one century.

Before I petitioned I checked the stats for New Hampshire going back two centuries. What I saw was a century long up and down swing in Masonic membership as a percentage of population. I looked at the curve and concluded that 20 years ago I was joining near the lowest point. Few Masons live to get a 50 year pin. What I was going to see was brothers who joined at or after the most recent peak who have seen Masonic membership in decline their entire lives. My experience since agreed with that prediction. My prediction was also that I would see steadily increasing petition rates. The lag between petition rates and total memberships should have been about 20 years so I predicted that about now nearly every GL would bottom out. I would see both decline and growth. So far I've seen petition rates increase vastly but so far I have not yet seen total Masonic population bottoming out. My crystal ball has been cloudy, chuckle. Still, from the gate this data has made me optimistic about the future of Masonry.

A few years ago I gathered population statistics of Masonry in Illinois since the formation of that state's first GL, it's crash during the anti-Masonic movement of the 1840s, and the progress of the second and current GL. The Masonic population curve fit my expectations but when divided by the state's population the data no longer matched. Still, the pattern of elderly members who'd seen decline their entire tenure and a consistent growth of petitions happened there as well.

What this longer term trend means is a matter of speculation. I think the young guys joining now saw the workaholics of my generation and they want life balance. Where else to find life balance but family, church and lodge? And so they are joining in droves. They are joining in a way that fits the curve of the big multi-century up and down swing of Masonic popularity.

As to your conclusion about relative rates the question is - Which is cause and which is effect? I ask the same about the popularity of Dan Brown books. is he driving a wave of increasing Masonic popularity or is he riding a wave that would exist without him? I hope the answer to both versions of this cause and effect question is "both". They feed each other in a feedback loop. Values and morals, membership in our organization that teaches them in a positive feedback loop. We've gone from the squares to didn't want to become hippies to the solids who've always had moral and social values.

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
The sources I used were intentionally restricted as a "snapshot" of a single year. What trends have you seen vis-a-vis numbers of Masons vs. eligible population and under-18 pregnancy rates, on a state-by-state basis? I'd love to see this data. How has it changed? Was there a period in which more Masons went along with higher underage pregnancy and higher abortion rates? When was this?

As for cause vs. effect, I already addressed that: Something is driving these social elements in their respective directions. Maybe both are a measure of the same "latent" factor, simply related to it in different directions. However, doing an MFA on two variables just doesn't fly.

jvarnell

Premium Member
The reason I believe this study is a problem is if you compare things that have no real connections without plotting other stuff that do have a connection you can't see which thing caused the trend. If you would have put divorces in the study and increase of planed parenthood store fronts in the studies I think we would have seen more corlations. It is all in what you want the out come to be and not a pure science. If I was studying Pregincey I would have done a Hive study of the internet for the word pregnicy to have a starting point. Or a hive study of Mansory. and maybe both and put them together.

dfreybur

Premium Member
The sources I used were intentionally restricted as a "snapshot" of a single year. What trends have you seen vis-a-vis numbers of Masons vs. eligible population and under-18 pregnancy rates, on a state-by-state basis? I'd love to see this data. How has it changed? Was there a period in which more Masons went along with higher underage pregnancy and higher abortion rates? When was this?

My response about century long trends in masonic popularity did not address topics of impact that membership had on society at the time.

Has the database system MORI made it to every US GL yet? One year I discussed my study with one of the brothers bringing it to GL after GL. He said that when it's everywhere we would be able to see the historical population of every GL year by year since they were formed. I had to spend a day off at the Illinois Lodge of Research library getting membership data out of GL proceedings books. Way too much work to access the library of other states.

Once you get the GL membership data it's easy to look through census.gov to get US population statistics every decade going back to the first census in any one territory going back to before it was a state.

How you'd mesh those two types of data with your interest in other rates would be a lot more work over an above gathering GL membership data.

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
The reason I believe this study is a problem is if you compare things that have no real connections without plotting other stuff that do have a connection you can't see which thing caused the trend. If you would have put divorces in the study and increase of planed parenthood store fronts in the studies I think we would have seen more corlations. It is all in what you want the out come to be and not a pure science. If I was studying Pregincey I would have done a Hive study of the internet for the word pregnicy to have a starting point. Or a hive study of Mansory. and maybe both and put them together.

1: There is no such thing as pure science. It doesn't exist. I've been doing science for over 20 years (and by "doing science" I do not count schooling--I mean research, analysis, publication). Pure science is a lie taught by schoolteachers to innocent children.
2: This was a pilot study, based on the fundamental question "does X resemble Y?" If there is a "yes" to than answer, then one worries about doing additional work.
3: I explicitly stated that this finding was NOT to be taken as causal. Indeed, scientists are always aware that the correlation of two variables in no way should EVER, under ANY circumstances be taken as evidence that one "causes" the other. Again, it's where schoolteachers have done a horrible disservice to us all. The presumption, whenever correlation is discovered, is that the two variables may each represent a "latent" variable, but that neither necessarily causes the other. What would that latent variable be in this case? That's what follow-ups are for.
4: Who's going to fund these enormous studies that people seem to think I ought to do?

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
Has the database system MORI made it to every US GL yet?

According to Enable Labs, 9 Grand Lodges have adopted it. I've a feeling it would be looked on with great distrust by many in positions of influence. That's just a facet of being old vs. computers.