My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Lodge Records

cacarter

Premium Member
Does the Grand Lodge have good records on membership dating back to the 1860s-70s?

I'm doing some digging into the Masonic family history right now to find out exactly how far back it goes. I contacted the Grand Lodge to find out if they have any record of my great-great-grandfather being a Mason and they sent me the Masonic Record Search Form. I'm wondering if there'd be a good chance of finding something or not.

cambridgemason

Premium Member
Premium Member
Depends on the jurisdiction that you are searching for. Some have databases that the members are listed in, but in some older cases they still refer to the card system. All GL's should have records of members from day one, but this is not the case. Fires, floods, incorrect information, lack of information from the Lodges will have effects on membership records. You will need at least a full name, or at least a middle initial, and it would help a birth date or death date. This also goes for the York, Scottish and Shrine. Most today are on databased software, but when getting into the early 1900's, 1800's and even the 1700's you may have to go to the card system and some GL's will ask for a donation or ask a fee for the information.

cacarter

Premium Member
You are right about the "donation." Any record search by the GLoTX costs $10 and they ask for at least 8 weeks. I can understand this though, because there are a lot of records to go through, especially back to 1870.

On a similar note, I emailed GLoNM about my great and grandad and they sent me back information in a few hours. It included EA, FC, and MM dates, offices held, DoB, DoD, 25- and 50-year pin dates and lodges. Me thinks they computerized their records! Granted, they have a lot less Masons in New Mexico.

Bigmel

Premium Member
Premium Member
If you live in Texas find an old lodge and check their Library go through the Grand Lodge Proceeding for the years you are looking for. When you find something it is just like Christmas. The Grand Lodge will check it out for you also and send anything they find. Our lodge has all the GL proceeding back to when we received our charter. Except for a 4 years. It is work but worth it.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
Right now, the GLoT is in the process of computerizing all their archive records. I believe currently they are on C & D. It's a project that's takign some time. So all the GLoT searches are done by hand.