My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Head Covered

bullrack33

Premium Member
You mean it's not the first time they have done something like this?

Yep, last year they submitted this resolution. "9. Amend Art. 397 so that only the King James Version of the Holy Bible may be placed upon the Altar during the conferral of degrees. (Thornton Lodge #486)"

JohnnyFlotsam

Premium Member
How is it that an entire Lodge of Master Masons so does not "get it" that they thought this was a good idea? What possible reasons, other than some which are decidedly un-Masonic, could they have for making such a proposal? Why has no one seen to their reformation?
These are not meant as rhetorical questions. I am truly interested in the answers.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
How is it that an entire Lodge of Master Masons so does not "get it" that they thought this was a good idea? What possible reasons, other than some which are decidedly un-Masonic, could they have for making such a proposal? Why has no one seen to their reformation?
These are not meant as rhetorical questions. I am truly interested in the answers.

I wish I had a good answer for you, but I would say lack of direction and/or leadership.

Traveling Man

Premium Member

Because, believe it or not there are entire lodges that seem to think that Freemasonry is entirely Christian based. Sad but true. I actually heard this in lodge,
Masonry is for Christians only and if a Jew petitioned this lodge I would make sure that he would be blackballed.
This statement was made in front of a brother that was indeed Jewish and had already been IPR. Duh!

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member

"Birds of a feather flock together"

This is what happens when so-called "Brothers" allow race, religion and/or politics to enter the Lodge room. When a similar resolution was proposed last year, I was the only one who stood up against it in my Lodge. There were Brethren who were adamantly against allowing another VSL on the altar, but after I gave my .02, many changed their mind. Battle ignorance with knowledge. Remind your Lodge members of the obligations we took and that Freemasonry teaches tolerance in an intolerant world.

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
All I can say about the whole VSL issue is this; If the resolution were to ever pass it would be the death notice for our fraternity in Texas. Just as racism has no place in the Lodge, it is not for us to determine another Brother's as improper.

The fact of the matter is this, no resolution will ever pass declaring the Holy Bible be the only VSL allowed to be placed on the altar. It is against our obligation to the ancient tenants to which our GL Laws are obligated to uphold; that only a petitioner or Brother declare a belief in a Deity.

This kind of Resolution has no place in Masonry.