My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with Identifying 1900s Uniform

vetemike

I have some ideas that might help you in your search and would be glad to answer any questions I can. Please feel free to call me directly. (302) 249-7282

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

KimJ

I found this post doing a google search for Royal Arch Masons and Knights Templar.
I am trying to date my grandfather's picture and find out what all the symbols mean on his sword.
If anyone can help I'd appreciate it, if I am in the wrong place I apologise.
2 symbols on a small part of his sword.
symbol.jpg

Matt L

Site Benefactor
That is a Knight's Templar sword. If it is your relatives, and he had it made, it could have his name engraved on the blade and his initials on the grip. It should also have a makers mark and sometimes be dated that way.

The Crown within the cross represent the reward awaiting in Heaven that the Faithful will receive after the suffering and trials of this life on Earth; the cross secures and the crown assures. Some have interpreted it to stand for the meaning of the life, ministry, message, and glory of our Blessed Redeemer, our Savior, Jesus Christ.

KimJ

That is a Knight's Templar sword. If it is your relatives, and he had it made, it could have his name engraved on the blade and his initials on the grip. It should also have a makers mark and sometimes be dated that way.
Yes his name is engraved on it.
And yes the makers on it.
So how do I date it?
And Thank you!

Attachments

• company.jpg
    company.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 669

Matt L

Site Benefactor
Henderson Ames Swords were made between 1893 and 1933. Does the sword have any gold touches to it? There are some sword forums that may be able to date it closer by the way the scene is etched into the sword.
H&A Swords were well made and are collectable. It's a great piece of family history.

Matt L

Site Benefactor
With Sir Knight Foelker being in the Allentown area, you may try contacting the local Commandery there.;
Allen-Beauceant Commandery No. 20, 1524 Linden St. Allentown.
My Commandery has records dating back to 1825 and have helped folks in the past.

KimJ

unnamed (1) - Copy - Copy.jpg

With Sir Knight Foelker being in the Allentown area, you may try contacting the local Commandery there.;
My Commandery has records dating back to 1825 and have helped folks in the past.

I live in Jersey but he lived in Illinois, so I would need to contact a chapter there correct?
I' am doing a family tree and would really like to know the approximate date of the sword.
Besides the fact that this is very interesting.
Thank you.
Henderson Ames Swords were made between 1893 and 1933. Does the sword have any gold touches to it? There are some sword forums that may be able to date it closer by the way the scene is etched into the sword.
H&A Swords were well made and are collectable. It's a great piece of family history.
Thank you.
No gold I can tell but dont know.
unnamed (1) - Copy - Copy.jpg

KimJ

This is my grandfather with the sword.
He died young at 36. and the Masons were in charge of his funeral.
I have a paper that says Commander Geo. I. Bush notifies all members to attend the funeral.
That's about all the information I have.
So I'd really like to get some information and dates if I could.
Harry Johnson.jpg
Harry Johnson.jpg Harry Johnson.jpg

CLewey44

I know this has been answered but this is looking pretty York Ritish. Specifically Knights Templar? I'm not a member but others obviously are.

CLewey44

So, it sounds like he was a Mason for sure and a member of an appendant body called the York Rite. It is made up of three independent bodies within itself. The Royal Arch (Chapter), Cryptic Council and the Knights Templar (Commandery). Based on his pics, it looks like he was a all three most likely. His outfit there is most likely Knights Templar. If I'm not mistaken, in order to be in the KT, you have to be a member of the other two bodies (Royal Arch and Cryptic Council)

KimJ

So, it sounds like he was a Mason for sure and a member of an appendant body called the York Rite. It is made up of three independent bodies within itself. The Royal Arch (Chapter), Cryptic Council and the Knights Templar (Commandery). Based on his pics, it looks like he was a all three most likely. His outfit there is most likely Knights Templar. If I'm not mistaken, in order to be in the KT, you have to be a member of the other two bodies (Royal Arch and Cryptic Council)
Thank You!
That will give me a lot to look up and search.
Makes me sad that all of this is lost and forgotten.

Marina-R

I have some ideas that might help you in your search and would be glad to answer any questions I can. Please feel free to call me directly. (302) 249-7282

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry
Hey, sorry y'all, I didn't get notifications for the latest posts on this thread. Thanks so much for this offer and I'll keep it in mind once my research picks up again.

I had no idea about that! Thank you! That would be so helpful in discovering how far back in the family this goes (at least for America), because the Foelkers came here in 1849. Awesomesauce!

This is my grandfather with the sword.
He died young at 36. and the Masons were in charge of his funeral.
I have a paper that says Commander Geo. I. Bush notifies all members to attend the funeral.
That's about all the information I have.
So I'd really like to get some information and dates if I could.
View attachment 6148 View attachment 6148 View attachment 6148
Thanks for sharing all your pictures! It's been hard to find well-matching York Rite/Knights Templar pictures for the era I'm looking for, and it's so cool to see yours. It looks like Will Foelker and your grandfather were the same-ish generation, which means I get to see what his sword/other details may have looked like. I may have taken a long break, but this still super fascinates me and I always love to find out more. And if you got more photos, feel free to post em just 'cause. :)

KimJ

Hey, sorry y'all, I didn't get notifications for the latest posts on this thread. Thanks so much for this offer and I'll keep it in mind once my research picks up again.

I had no idea about that! Thank you! That would be so helpful in discovering how far back in the family this goes (at least for America), because the Foelkers came here in 1849. Awesomesauce!

Thanks for sharing all your pictures! It's been hard to find well-matching York Rite/Knights Templar pictures for the era I'm looking for, and it's so cool to see yours. It looks like Will Foelker and your grandfather were the same-ish generation, which means I get to see what his sword/other details may have looked like. I may have taken a long break, but this still super fascinates me and I always love to find out more. And if you got more photos, feel free to post em just 'cause. :)

This is all I have sadly.
All the details on these swords is amazing.
I'm still trying to find more information.

Bloke

Premium Member
Thank You!
That will give me a lot to look up and search.
Makes me sad that all of this is lost and forgotten.
The specific details may be obscured by time, but it's not forgotten - he was part of organisations that still meet today and that young guys under 30 still join...

Sent from my SM-G920I using My Freemasonry mobile app

Bloke

Premium Member
Have you thought about walking into antique stores and asking their opinion ? A old weapons dealer might glance at it and be able to tell you a lot about the sword..

KimJ

Have you thought about walking into antique stores and asking their opinion ? A old weapons dealer might glance at it and be able to tell you a lot about the sword..

No, Never thought about that.
Mostly I wanted to know what the sword represented, I think that's been answered.
And I wanted to know what the men on horseback and the men on the other side running at them represented.
Just all the little details of what each image meant.
To me, this is the most awesome thing in my family.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Is the York Rite different from Masonry?

The heart of Masonry is the first three degrees. There's enough material there to study for more than one lifetime.

All other orders are optional and additional. The York Rite is one of those optional and additional bodies. As such all York Rite members are Masons but not all Masons are York Rite members. The Scottish Rite and Shrine are other well known optional and additional Masonic organizations.

The York Rite teaches chivalry. The symbols on that exquisite sword are symbols of chivalry across the centuries.